Visas & Study Permits

English Language Program

ELP Student

All international students require either a study permit or a visitors visa to study in Canada. If you are planning to study less than 6 months in Canada, then you may be eligible to study while on a visitors visa. If you are planning to study more than 6 months, then you must apply for a study permit.

The English Language Program may be required to provide the federal and provincial governments information related to attendance and/or proof of progress in a program for all international students. Such information sharing shall comply with applicable privacy legislation requirements. Any change in study status (e.g., you are no longer studying at the university due to financial arrears) may be updated with Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as per the requirements of the International Student Program.

Student Guide: "How To Apply for Visa & Study Permits from Outside Canada"

To determine if you need a visa or a study permit and for important step-by-step details and answers to frequently asked questions, read the our student guide on "How To Apply for Study Permits Outside Canada" Click a link to view as a PDF or in MicrosoftWord.

For additional information for International Students studying in Canada, click HERE.