fb pixel

Student Aid

One of the ways you can fund your post secondary education is through government student aid.  If you are a Canadian citizen, Landed Immigrant or Protected Person, you can submit an application for funding in your home province or territory.  If you are a citizen of the United States, you can apply for the U.S. Federal Direct Loan Program.

For more information on Canadian Government Student Aid programs, visit this webpage:
Government Student Aid Program Information

For more information on the U.S. Federal Direct Loan Program, visit this website:
U.S. Student Aid

Timeline for Manitoba Student Aid

Here is a brief timeline of the Manitoba Student Aid full-time application process. Instructions will be included in your government student aid documentation and on their website.

  • Submit an application online at Manitoba Student Aid Program. We suggest doing this by July 1 for Fall Term or by November 1 for Winter Term, so that you can receive funding by the start of classes to pay your fees and book costs. This will also give you a better sense of what your budget is going to look like for the year.

  • About two weeks after you apply, you will receive a “Notice of Assistance." This will outline the total amount of government aid you will receive, and when it will be disbursed.  Follow the instructions on the notice and return the requested paperwork right away.  The government department will take care of processing the document(s) after you submit them.

  • Once your enrolment is confirmed, the tuition fee payment portion will be sent  directly to the University if owing and any additional funding will be deposited into your account. This usually takes about 10 business days.

Other important things to know:

  • Government Student Aid is normally disbursed in two instalments – 60% at the start of your study period and 40% in the middle of your study period.

  • You submit a new application each session you attend if funding is required (Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer).

  • You do not have to make monthly payments on your government student loans while you are a student.

  • If your finances change during the school year, you can apply for government student aid after the school year has started.

  • You must maintain the appropriate minimum course load for your study period in order to retain your student assistance eligibility. If you apply for full-time funding and subsequently reduce to part-time studies, you should submit a part-time application before the term is half over.

Email: awards@uwinnipeg.ca
Phone:  204.779.UWIN (8946)
Website: Awards & Financial Aid