fb pixel

Student Support

The University of Winnipeg offers Student Support services specifically for international students covering counselling, tax prep, visa and study permits, health insurance, employment, and mentorship.

Counselling Services

Academic Advising

An Academic Advisor can provide guidance and feedback on your course choices.  After you’ve worked your way through the Accepted Student website and created a draft timetable, you may want to contact Lee Hong in Academic Advising to ask for some feedback.

Contact: Lee Hong
Web: Course selection & registration
Phone: 204.786.9858
Email: l.hong@uwinnipeg.ca
Location: 8th floor, Rice Centre

Immigration Advising

International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services offers on-campus immigration advising for all currently registered or admitted international students, free of charge. This advising is offered by our Immigration Student Advisor.

For more information, please visit: Immigration Advising.

Transition Advising

Transition Advising is available to international students in a variety of areas including housing, health insurance and health services, finding employment and volunteer opportunities, cultural adaptation, social integration, community and campus resources, drivers licensing, SIN cards, Income Tax, and any other matter which concerns international students.

Students may drop-in to meet with an IIRSS staff member during regular office hours or may book an appointment by emailing IIRSS at iirss@uwinnipeg.ca

Student Wellness

For a list of student wellness services, please visit Student Wellness.

Aurora Family Therapy Centre's Newcomer Community Development Program

Their goal is to offer a wide variety of programs to Newcomers across the lifespan to aid in connecting them with the local community and to provide relevant information and support to help them settle successfully.

For more information, please visit Newcomer Community Development Program.

Other Services

Immigrant Centre

The Immigrant Centre provides newcomers with free programs and services including settlement, employment, language, nutrition training, and verification of translations.

For more information, please visit the Immigrant Centre.

Visa and Study Permits

Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). They allow you to study in Canada for a limited time. Visa permits are issued to eligible individuals to work in Canada for a specific time period.

For more information, please visit: Visa and Study Permits.

Tax prep

In Canada, the Income Tax Year runs from January to December and we file income taxes for the previous year (i.e. in 2019, we file for 2018 taxes).The deadline to file income taxes is April 30th of each year. Individuals must keep their tax information for a minimum of six (6) years. The Canada Revenue Agency (the government agency responsible for taxes) can request tax documents at any time.

For more information, please visit: Income Tax Prep.


The University of Winnipeg Student Mentor Program aims to build community on campus by supporting new, first time students to The University of Winnipeg.

They will match you with an experienced student who can help you learn about University life. You will meet with your mentor in-person, and keep in touch by phone, text or email.

For more information, please visit: Mentorship Program.

Health Insurance

Depending on your student type and the length of your studies at The University of Winnipeg, you will be covered by different health insurance plans.

For more information, please visit: Health Insurance.


For information about working in Canada, on and off campus work regulations, SIN, Finding Employment please visit: International Student Employment.