fb pixel

General Program Information

Where are the roles of the Graduate Advisor, Supervisor, and Program Chair?

The role of the Graduate Advisor* includes:
Assisting students with planning a program of study and ensuring that students are aware of all general regulations, program requirements, and degree regulations of the graduate department. Advisors also attend all supervisory committee meetings as well as student thesis, clinical or technical practicum examinations and prepare an annual report of the progress of the graduate student.

The role of the Graduate Supervisor* includes:
Being directly responsible for supervising and providing guidance on all aspects of a student’s thesis, practicum, or research program and staying informed of the student’s progress and preparing an annual report summarizing progress in research, clinical, or technical activities and ensuring that scientific research is conducted in a way that is effective and safe. Supervisors review and evaluate student theses and major research papers in draft and final form and attend all supervisory committee meetings as well as student thesis, clinical or technical practicum examinations.

The role of the Graduate Program Chair* includes:
Providing leadership to the Graduate Program Committee and acting as a member on the Graduate Studies Committee (or appoint a designate); and ensuring that the graduate program is operating according to the guidelines set out by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and its department’s supplementary regulations.

I’m in a Joint Master’s Program (JMP) – what does that mean for me here at The University of Winnipeg?

Students in the JMP’s with the University of Manitoba have all the rights and privileges of a regular student of the University of Winnipeg, including registering for courses at both schools, library access, student account access, and receiving a degree from both institutions (Note: you must choose which convocation ceremony you wish to attend). Students in these programs have access to funding from both institutions however you may not hold the same award at both schools (I.e. you may not hold a SSHRC, NSERC, or a CIHR from both the UW and UM). All application, registration and other administrative procedures are handled at the University of Manitoba. These programs follow the Joint Senate Regulations outlined in this document.

For additional questions, you may contact your JMP Graduate Chair or visit our FAQ page for JMPs.

Back to FAQ index