fb pixel

Completing the Online Application

How do I apply?

You can apply to the University of Winnipeg program of your choice using the Online Application System. Before you apply to any program, you should review the Graduate Studies Application Checklist.

If you are applying to a Joint Master’s Program, applications are handled at the University of Manitoba. Please contact the JMP program chair directly for information about the application process.

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline for admission to the Fall term for most programs is February 1st.

The application deadline for admission to the Fall term for Joint Master’s Programs is January 15th.

For the Master of Science in Applied Computer Science & Society program, the deadline for admission to the Winter term is July 1st.

What documents will I need to submit?

The Graduate Studies Application Checklist should help you prepare your documents. You will need to upload the following documents:

  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • Writing sample (IF applying to Cultural Studies, Indigenous Governance, MDP – Indigenous Development, or Management programs)
  • Proof of citizenship (if applicable)
  • Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)
  • Proof of name change (if applicable)
  • Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
You will not need to upload reference letters. You will be asked to provide the names and email addresses for your referees, and they will be contacted with instructions for submitting their recommendations directly to our office.
Can I upload an unofficial transcript to my application?

For initial assessment purposes only, copies of unofficial transcripts (uploaded to your application) are acceptable and preferred. Official transcripts will be required if you are recommended for admission. All official transcripts must be sent directly from the postsecondary institutions. If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, an official/notarized copy of your diploma is also required.

One of my documents exceeds the maximum size. What should I do?

For transcripts, you will need to compress the file further, as we cannot upload those for you. For other documents, please contact graduateadmissions@uwinnipeg.ca for instructions.

Should I send my transcript to a credential assessing agency, such as World Education Services (WES), for verification before applying to a graduate program?

No, we do not require you to send your transcript for verification by WES. We accept transcripts verified by WES for initial purposes only.

Who should I ask to be my references?

Your referees should be familiar with your academic work. For further advice, you should contact the program chair.

I am applying for the course-based Applied Computer Science Program. Do I need to complete the research proposal section?

For the course-based program, you should submit a plan of study for your coursework, rather than a research proposal. For guidance, you should contact the program chair.

Do I need to provide GRE/GMAT to apply to a graduate program?

No, GRE and/or GMAT are not required to apply to a graduate program.

Can you waive the application fee?

No, we cannot waive the application fee.

I received an error message when paying the application fee and my application has already been submitted. How can I pay the fee?

General instructions to pay the application fee can be found here. If you opt to complete the Credit Card Authorization Form, you may submit it to gradstudies@uwinnipeg.ca.

For international students, the University of Winnipeg has partnered with Flywire to offer a streamlined way to transfer international payments. The mission is to save international students money that would otherwise be lost to bank fees and unfavorable exchange rates. Your student number is required to use Flywire. Please check your application submission confirmation email for your student number.

I paid the application fee via Flywire. Why does my application still show “Not Paid”?

Once an application is submitted online, we cannot change it. As such, payments made via Flywire are not reflected on the online application but are applied to your student account.

My referee didn’t receive an email requesting their recommendation. What should I do?

The system is automated, so it is possible that you provided an incorrect email address for the referee. If this is the case, please send the correct email address and full name of your referee to graduateadmissions@uwinnipeg.ca and we will make the change on your behalf.

Am I able to change one of my references after I submitted my application?

If you need to change one of your references, please send the full name and email address of both the new referee and the referee to be replaced to graduateadmissions@uwinnipeg.ca and we will make the change on your behalf.

When will I receive my username and password for WebAdvisor?

You will not receive a username and password for WebAdvisor until your application is verified as complete and forwarded to the department for review.

What should I do if I have trouble completing the online application?

Pleae email graduateadmissions@uwinnipeg.ca if you have difficulty completing the online application.

What should I do if I have questions or concerns about my application?

Please contact graduatadmissions@uwinnipeg.ca with any questions or concerns about your application.

When will I be notified with a decision about my application?

Reviewing all applications can take time and we appreciate your patience after you submit your application. You will receive an email confirming that you have submitted your application. Once the application deadline passes, we review all applications for completeness. You will receive a second email confirming the completeness of your application. Once your application is verified as complete, it will be forwarded to the graduate program for review and final recommendation. For Fall admission, a final decision about your application will be usually be communicated in March or April.

Back to FAQ index