General FAQ

Can I meet with an advisor to discuss my application to the Faculty of Education?

Our advisors only meet with students who have been admitted to the Faculty of Education. However, each year we hold several information sessions for prospective transfer and after-degree applicants. For more information on programs and information sessions, please visit the 'Programs' section of our website.

If you have general questions, you are welcome to email or call (204) 786-9491.

Can I complete the program online or through distance education?

No, we do not offer distance or online courses in the Faculty of Education.


Can I register for Education courses, even though I have not been admitted to the Faculty?

No, Education courses are not available to students who have not been admitted to the Faculty of Education.

Is there a waiting list to get into the program?

We do not have a waiting list for the program.

Will there be teaching jobs available after I graduate?

There are many factors that determine employability, including your unique set of skills and abilities, your work background, the contacts that you make through your courses, practicum, and volunteer experiences, your personal character strengths, and the needs of specific school divisions at particular times. If you are flexible and willing to accept the term and substitute teaching positions, and willing to relocate or teach outside of the city, your prospects will improve. Many of our graduates have started their careers by subbing, and many have found rewarding employment in fields related to education, such as in community agencies or business settings.

Are there specific subjects I can major in to increase my job opportunities?

You should choose teaching areas that interest you, and that you like learning about, but French, Math, Physics and Chemistry teachers are always in high demand.

I am in the elementary stream. Can I take computer science/environmental science to fulfil the science portion of the distribution requirement?

At the University of Winnipeg. the science distribution requirement can only be met with Biology, Chemistry, Physical Geography, and/or Physics courses.

If I graduate with a BEd in Manitoba, will I be able to teach in other provinces/countries?

You would need to contact the certification branch in the specific province or country to find out. You can do a Google search for "teacher certification + name of province" to get started. You may need to take additional courses to become certified in another province or country.

I have experience teaching dance/coaching sports/tutoring, etc. Can this be used toward the required practicum experience?

In order for teaching experience to count for credit in our program it must meet all of the following conditions:

  • be in a setting arranged by our Practicum Office in accordance with their policies and operating guidelines
  • be completed under the supervision of a Cooperating Teacher
  • be taken with the course work and assignments required for that level of practicum
  • be evaluated by a Faculty Supervisor and meet the expectations required for that level of practicum

Since these conditions cannot be met without being a student in the Faculty of Education, credit cannot be granted for any teaching that took place prior to admission to the Faculty.  Therefore, Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) credit is not available for practicum courses.

The same type of conditions outlined in a) Practicum Courses, apply to seeking credit for teaching methods courses in the Faculty of Education as these courses are taken in conjunction with practicum. Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) credit is not available for methods courses associated with practicum.  This includes:

Educ-1801 or Educ-1802 Education Today
Educ-1810 Service Learning and Educational Leadership
Educ-2511 Learning Theory
Educ-3810 Teaching/Learning and the K-8 Curriculum
Educ-4710 to Educ-4721 Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Educ-4722 to Educ-4760 Senior Years Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment

Students can seek Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) credit for other Education courses. For information, refer to the Calendar section, Regulations and Policies, 6. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

While your experience cannot count for credit in the program, it will be considered as valuable in the experiential component of your transfer application. In addition, it will also stand you in good stead in your future career.

I missed the application deadline for September. Can I apply to begin in the Winter term?

The Integrated and After Degree programs have only one intake per year, in September. If you missed the deadline, you must wait to apply for the following September. Students can apply to begin the PBDE program in Fall, Winter, or Spring.

What is the difference between the Integrated and the After-Degree Program?

The Integrated program is a five-year program where students work toward two degrees concurrently: a Bachelor of Arts, Science or Kinesiology degree, and a Bachelor of Education degree. This program is for students who do not hold a university degree.

The After-Degree program is a two-year program for students who already have an undergraduate degree. Students who have not completed required teachable subjects within their first degree may need to take additional arts and/or science courses in order to be eligible to apply to the After Degree program.

What is the tuition for the Education Program?

Tuition is based on the number and types of courses that you take. 2021-2022 Fee Information.