fb pixel

After-Degree Applicants

How do I apply?
After-Degree applicants must submit an application form, an autobiography, a chronological summary sheet, and two letters of reference. New applicants to the University of Winnipeg must also submit the application fee. For more information on applying to the After-Degree program, please review the information booklet for prospective applicants.

I missed the deadline for September. Can I apply to start in the Winter term?
The Faculty of Education only has one intake, for September. The deadline to apply is typically February 12 of each year. If you missed the deadline, you must wait and apply again for the following September.

How many students are accepted each year?
There are typically 70 spaces for After-Degree students each year.

What is the minimum GPA to be accepted into the After-Degree program?
After-Degree applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in order to be considered for admission. However, a GPA well in excess of 2.5 is typically required to be competitive in the selection process. Admission is based on both GPA and experience working with children. Most successful applicants have GPA's of 3.0 and higher, as well as significant related experience.

What type of volunteer or work experience does the selection committee look for when evaluating applicants?
The selection committee looks for both paid and volunteer experience working with children in the age group that you hope to teach. We look at the overall length of time that you have worked with children, as well as the variety of your experiences, and the level of responsibility in the positions that you've held. We also consider other volunteer work, life experience, and your overall skills and abilities.

Can this program be completed on a part-time basis?
The After-Degree program is a full time program, with a set timetable of courses. You should be available for classes and practicum between 8:30 am to 6:20 pm, from Monday to Friday. Students will complete two five-week blocks of student teaching in each year, in which they will be at their host schools from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm We encourage students to have time available after school hours as well, in order to enrich their teaching experience by participating in extra-curricular activities and events.

I will be applying to the After-Degree program next years. Can I take Education courses in the meantime to work ahead?
No, Education courses are only available to students who have been admitted to the program.

I have a degree, but I still need to complete extra course work for my teachable areas and/or distribution requirement. Can I still apply to the After-Degree program?
You must have completed all outstanding requirements by August of the year that you plan to begin the program. Students taking courses in the Spring term will need to provide proof of registration to the Admissions Office by early April. Students who fail to meet requirements will have their acceptance withdrawn.

Can I apply to the Integrated program, even though I have a degree?
Students who have a degree must apply to the After-Degree program, and are not eligible to apply to the Integrated program.