Faculty of Education

Educatino students in a classroom.

Image courtesy UWinnipeg/Dan Bailey

The following is some important information about graduation and applying for your teaching license.

Applying to Graduate

You must apply for graduation through the Student Records Office at the University of Winnipeg.

Spring Convocation — is typically held in June. Students must have completed all courses by April. The deadline to apply is mid-February.
Fall Convocation — is typically held in October. Students must have completed all courses by August. The deadline to apply is mid-August.
Winter Convocation — There is no formal ceremony, but degrees and diplomas are conferred in mid February. Students must have completed all courses by December. The deadline to apply is mid-November.

Application to Graduate

PLEASE NOTE: Even if you do not plan on attending the graduation ceremony, you must still apply to graduate in order to receive your degree and subsequently your teaching licence.
Application for Teacher Certification

Applying for Teacher Certification

Students must complete an application for Manitoba Teacher Certification. The form is available online on Manitoba Education's website.

Click on “English application instructions and form” near the bottom of the page. Completed application forms must be submitted to the Professional Certification Unit by early March of each year. Students who do not have internet access can call the Professional Certification Unit at (800) 667-2378 for a paper copy of the application.

Criminal Records Check

Students must include a current, original (no more than 3 months old) criminal records check with their application for certification. The check must state that the vulnerable sector screening has been completed. The Child Abuse registry is not required for certification. Criminal Records Checks can be obtained from the Winnipeg Police Service, Public Safety Building, 151 Princess St., Winnipeg or at

or from your local law enforcement agency.

Official Transcript

Students must order an official transcript, confirming conferral of the B.Ed. degree, and arrange for the university to send it directly to the Professional Certification Unit. Students are encouraged to order their transcripts when they apply to graduate, and request that the transcript be held until the B.Ed. is conferred at convocation. Each transcript costs $12.00.

Information on Ordering Transcripts

Teaching License

The Department of Education will issue your teaching licence upon recommendation from the Dean of the Faculty of Education Program. Please be aware that the degree is not “official” until after Convocation.

Name/Address Changes

Please inform both the Faculty of Education Office and the Student Records Office of any changes in address, name, etc. This will enable us to keep you informed and your records up to date.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Education Office at (204) 786-9491.