fb pixel

Transfer Applicants

How do I apply?
Transfer applicants must submit an application form, an autobiography, a chronological summary sheet, and two letters of reference. New applicants to the University of Winnipeg must also submit the application fee. For more information on applying as a transfer applicant, please review the information booklet for prospective applicants.

I missed the deadline for September. Can I apply to start in the Winter term?
The Faculty of Education only has one intake, for September. The deadline to apply is typically May 1 of each year. If you missed the deadline, you must wait and apply again for the following September. If you accumulate more than 42 credit hours by then, you would need to complete your first degree, and then apply for the two year After Degree program.

How many students are accepted each year?
There are typically around 50 spaces for transfer applicants each year.

What is the minimum GPA to transfer into the Integrated program?
Transfer applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in order to be considered for admission. However, a GPA well in excess of 2.5 is typically required to be competitive in the selection process. Admission is based on both GPA and experience working with children.

What type of volunteer or work experience does the selection committee look for when evaluating applicants?
The selection committee looks for both paid and volunteer experience working with children in the age group that you hope to teach. We look at the overall length of time that you have worked with children, as well as the variety of your experiences, and the level of responsibility in the positions that you've held. We also consider other volunteer work, life experience, and your overall skills and abilities.

Can this program be completed on a part-time basis?
While it is possible to do a portion of the program on a part-time basis, please be aware of the following:

  • a total of 10 full days (two half days or one full day per week in either the Fall of Winter terms) of student teaching practicum is required for the compulsory course EDUC-2512 Learning Theory Practicum.
  • a total of 20 full days (two half days or one full day per week in both the Fall and Winter terms) of student teaching practicum is required for the compulsory course EDUC-3811 Teaching and Learning Practicum.
  • Years 4 and 5 include two five week practicum blocks each year, and must be completed on a full time basis.

I am currently enrolled in another degree program, but would like to transfer to the Integrated program next year. What courses can I take that will transfer?
All Education students must complete a teachable major and a teachable minor, as well as the Humanities, Science, and Academic Writing requirements. You can begin taking courses in your proposed major and minor, as well as courses to fulfil the Humanities, Science, and Academic Writing requirements prior to being admitted (students applying to the Elementary stream must take courses from Biology, Chemistry, or Physics to satisfy the Science requirement). Generally, any course completed within your first 42 credit hours will transfer into the Integrated program.

I've completed courses in another faculty/university. Are my credits transferable?
Once a student has applied for admission and submitted all transcripts and supporting documents, the Admissions Office will evaluate previous course work. It is not possible to have an evaluation done prior to admission.