Transcript Requests

Student Records

Official transcripts of your academic record in an undergraduate or graduate program at The University of Winnipeg can be obtained by submitting a request form (with fee) to the University.

Update on Services

The University of Winnipeg is committed to the safety of our students and staff as the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve. As a result, we are not accepting in-person transcript requests nor in-person pick up of completed transcripts at this time.

Transcript requests can only be submitted via scanned email. If you require payment via a method other than MasterCard or Visa, please contact Student Central by email at 

We are providing electronic transcripts ($14.00 each) at this time. We will be waiving the PDF fee ($5.00). Please indicate an email address on your form. If you require a paper copy of the electronic transcript (please allow 2-3 weeks for printing), indicate that under “Special Instructions” along with a mailing address.
Note: The paper copy of the transcript will show the date on which the electronic transcript was produced, not the date of printing.

We are not currently using third party companies such as National Student Clearing House, Parchment or Credential Solutions. If you are applying to an institution that requires electronic transcript to be submitted through a third party company, please request a physical copy of your transcript to be mailed (please allow 2-3 weeks for printing).

Students requesting transcripts to be sent to the Professional Certification Unit of Manitoba Education only need to provide a paper copy for their application. You can request to have the electronic copy sent to you for your records, and the printed copy to be mailed to PCU (please allow 2-3 weeks for printing).


Note:  Our transcript processing may be experiencing delays during this time. We thank you for your patience. 


To order official transcripts of your academic record in an undergraduate or graduate program at The University of Winnipeg, you must fill out the Transcript Request Form and submit it using the method below.

Because we require your signature in order to release your record, there is currently only one way to submit a transcript request form: 

Scanned Email:  Scan the written request and then email it to   Payment can be made with MC or Visa ONLY.

Download the Transcript Request Form.

Questions?  Please see our FAQs below.

Transcript FAQs

How long does it take to get a transcript?

It takes us about 5 business days to process a request. In special circumstances and during very busy periods it can take up to 10 business days.

How much does a transcript cost?

The cost is $14.00 per transcript. There are additional fees for special services such as express courier; all fees are listed on the request form.

Can I order my transcript over the phone?

No. Because we require your signature in order to release your record, you cannot order transcripts over the phone. 

I just need an unofficial transcript.  Can you print one for me?

No. Our offices only provide official transcripts. If you simply require an unofficial version, current and past students with access to WebAdvisor can print unofficial transcripts for personal use.  Login to WebAdvisor, go to "Current Students," and then under the "Academic Profile" heading, click "Transcript" to see your grades. To print it, right click the page and select print. Typically, grades are posted about 3 to 4 weeks after the end of an exam period.

I can’t remember my student number to fill out the form. Can you tell me my student number over the phone?

No. To protect student privacy we cannot tell you your student number or any specific information regarding your record over the phone. However, we do not need your student number to find you in our systems and provide you with a transcript; simply fill out as much information on the form as you are able and we can find you in our system. 

Can someone else order a transcript for me?

This service is not available at this time.  Normally, due to provincial privacy policies, under FIPPA, there are 2 ways another person can order a transcript on your behalf:

  • You provide your designate with a signed letter stating that you would like them to order and/or pick up a transcript on your behalf.
    - OR -
  • You fill out and submit an "Authorization for Release of Information" form, available at Forms or at Student Central. It is free and only takes a minute or two.  

I have a deadline to meet that is before the five business day processing time, so do you provide a rush-service?

No, we do not have a rush service. Transcripts are processed on a first-come, first-served basis as we have a very high volume of requests. If you have a specific deadline that was out of your control you can write the date you require the transcript by as well as the reason why you need it by that date and we will try to complete it in time. However, due to the high volumes of requests and to keep the process fair for all students, we cannot make any guarantees regarding when we can have transcripts completed. 

How long does the courier service take?

This service is not available at this time.  In normal circumstance, after your transcript has been printed (about 5 business days from your order date) your transcript will be sent via Dynamex Courier or UPS Express and should arrive the following business day. For overseas destinations it will arrive within 2 business days. We will provide you with a tracking number once it has been shipped so you can track your transcript’s journey. 

I am graduating soon.  When will my degree appear on my transcript?

Congratulations! Your degree will appear on your transcript on the day of convocation and will remain on your record permanently thereafter. To order a transcript so it is ready soon after convocation and displays your degree information, submit your  Transcript Request Form at least 10 days before convocation and select “Hold until degree record after convocation” on the bottom right side of the request form. 

Can I order my transcripts online?

Not yet but we are working on it! Currently, you can print the Transcript Request Form, fill it out and then e-mail it to us at  

I am a B.Ed./P.B.D.E. student.  Will you automatically send a transcript to the Certification Unit for me once I graduate?

No. If you would like a transcript sent to a Certification Unit for teacher certification or salary re-classification, you will need to order a transcript and have it sent directly to the Certification Unit. Due to the volume of requests we receive, it is best if you submit your Transcript Request Form far in advance of your convocation day (submitting it with your application for graduation would be ideal). Doing so ensures that your transcript will be sent in a timely fashion following convocation.

If you have not yet graduated, to ensure your degree(s) is (are) on your transcript before it is sent to a Certification Unit, please select to have your transcript held for convocation and check off your convocation month under the “Instructions for Preparation” section of the request form.

Please note that you will need to write the email address of the Certification Unit that you would like your transcript sent to on your request form as there are a variety of certification units and boards across Canada.

It is also suggested that students fill in a separate request to have one transcript sent via email to their own email address in the event that an official transcript is required for interviews. 

Other Questions?
If you have any additional questions, you can e-mail us at or you can phone us at 204.786.9739.