fb pixel

Frequently Asked Questions

Accessing the Online Award Application

How do I log in?

Go to the Apply for Awards page and click on the "Apply Online" button to be redirected to the application site. Then, click on “sign in” and enter your UWinnipeg webmail user ID and password. 

NOTE: Only students who have an active UWinnipeg webmail account and password will be able to access the online awards application. If you are a future student applying for entrance awards, you must first apply for admissions to receive your student ID and set up your UWinnipeg email account.

Trouble logging in? Contact the Technology Service Help Desk at servicedesk@uwinnipeg.ca to reset UWinnipeg webmail user ID and password.

Can students in any UWinnipeg program apply (e.g., PACE, Joint programs, etc.)?

Check the categories below to see if the online award application is available to you:

Undergraduate: Part-time and Full-time domestic undergraduate and Full-time International undergraduate students can apply for awards online.


  • Joint UW/RRC Polytech students who are enrolled in at least 18 credit hours at the University of Winnipeg may be eligible for awards. If you are not currently enrolled in 18 credit hours at the University, you should seek awards that are offered by the institution you are registered at.
  • Awards are not available to those admitted with a visiting status, including students in the Psychiatric Nursing program. You should apply for the awards available from your home or degree-granting institution.

Graduate Studies (including Theology): Part-time and full-time domestic graduate students and full-time international graduate students can apply for awards online.


  • Awards are not available to those admitted with a visiting status, including students in Joint Masters programs. You should apply for the awards available from your home or degree-granting institution.

Professional, Applied and Continuing Education (PACE): Full-time domestic and international PACE students can apply for awards online.

English Language Program (ELP): Currently, the online application does not offer awards for ELP students. Students should visit the ELP website for information on other funding programs that may be available.

UWinnipeg Collegiate: Currently, the online application does not offer awards for UWinnipeg Collegiate students. Students should visit the the Collegiate website to apply for their funding programs.

What web browsers are supported?

Download or update to the latest version on the following web browsers:

  • Firefox Mozilla
  • Google Chrome
  • Apple Safari
  • Microsoft Edge

NOTE: The Online Award Application is not currently optimized for mobile devices.

Using the Online Award Application

How do I see my student record?

After logging in, click on the "Applicant Record" button on the lower left side of the screen.

If you think the information in your Applicant Record is not accurate, please contact Student Records through studentcentral@uwinnipeg.ca.

Can I make changes to my online application after I have submitted it?

Yes, you can make changes to your application until the application deadline. After the deadline, you cannot amend your application.

How do I know what awards I'm eligible for?

The online application does the work for you. It will look at information on your UWinnipeg student record as well as answers you provide in the application.

Some awards will ask you to answer a specific set of questions. These awards will be visible to you as “Recommended Opportunities”. Other awards will automatically consider your application based on your student record and the information you enter. You will not see a list of these awards.

How do I maximize the number of awards I get matched to?

To ensure that we can consider you for as many UWinnipeg awards, scholarships and bursaries as possible:

  1. Declare your major! You won’t be considered for department or major-specific awards if you haven’t officially declared your major. Complete a Major Declaration Form.
  2. Register for classes early in the registration period. First-Year students can sign up for Registration Info Sessions.
  3. Check your @webmail.uwinnipeg.ca email regularly and read everything.
  4. If applicable, declare your Indigenous ancestry so the awards committee can consider you for Indigenous Student awards.
  5. Have a resume/C.V. ready to submit if needed. Career Services offers resume, CV, and cover letter assistance.
  6. Start drafting a personal statement outlining your off-campus skills, talents and experience. Many awards look for leadership, volunteerism, or involvement in arts, athletics and cultural activities.
  7. Identify 2-3 professional/academic contacts who can be your references, if required.
How are awards selected?

The awards committee uses students' GPA and student record data to identify recipients of academic performance awards.

Committees consisting of UW staff, faculty and senior administrations review applications and select recipients for awards that require subjective criteria (volunteerism, leadership, extra-curricular activities etc.)

How will I know if I've been selected for an award?

The Financial Aid and Awards office will notify you through your UWinnipeg webmail if you have received an award.

When will I know if I've been selected for an award?

In the past, with use of paper application, students could expect to wait 6-8 weeks for notice of their application outcome. By using the online application, the Awards & Financial Aid office expects the time required to complete review of applications and award funds will be reduced. Check your UWinnipeg webmail and student account regularly for updates.

Answering Questions on the General Application

What is a first generation student?

You are a first generation student if neither of your parents or guardians have attended post-secondary studies (college or university). If your sibling has attended college or university, that’s okay. You’re still within the first generation of your family to attend post-secondary studies.

Do I need to have my treaty card, Metis card, or other indigenous identification documentation to self-declare at The University of Winnipeg?

No, at this time we do not require you to upload these documents. We understand you may not always have documentation and allow you to self-declare.

Please note that other award opportunities like the Louis Riel Bursaries, Business Council of Manitoba Aboriginal Education awards and other opportunities may require identification.

How do I select an "Expense Category"?

You can pick between 5 options. Select the option that best applies to your living situation.

For example, If you were an international student who is married but is living in Winnipeg by yourself, you would choose "Option 3: I am a single student not living with parents/family, paying rent." 

Enter the number one (1) as your answer. Make sure you enter zero (0) for the other options.

What if I have no "Monthly/Term Resources" to report?

Every student should have resources of some sort, whether it’s help from parents, spouses, part-time jobs, student aid, personal savings, etc.

If you’re unsure how to answer the resources questions, please contact awards@uwinnipeg.ca for guidance.

NOTE: Be careful not to confuse this section with the "Expense Category" section that comes before. You will need to enter an amount, not just one or zero.

What if my living situation changes during the term?

Enter your Expense Category (living situation) as you intend it to be for most of the term.

For example: if you are living at home right now but will be moving out to live on your own for the rest of the term, you would select "Option 3: I am a single student living away from home, paying rent."

What should I include in my "Personal Statement"?

The personal statement should include information on your educational/career goals, skills, abilities, interests, aspirations, etc. You may also want to state how receiving award funding will help you with your educational costs.