fb pixel

Visiting Students

Definition: A Visiting Student is someone who is currently enrolled in a program of study at another post-secondary institution, but who wants to complete University of Winnipeg course(s) for transfer credit back to their “home” institution. 

How to Apply

To apply as a visiting student, you need to fill out the online Admissions Application and submit the application fee. Under "Application Type", select "I am enrolled in a degree program at another school. I want to take a course(s) here on a Letter of Permission."

Required Documents for Submission of Application

Before an application can be processed, the following documents must be received:

A. Students Currently Studying at a Canadian Institution:

1. A Completed online Admission Application

2. Application Fee ($100 Canadian or $120 international)

3. Letter of Permission from your current institution.

B. Students Currently Studying at an International Institution (outside of Canada):

1. A Completed online Admission Application

2. Application Fee ($100 Canadian or $120 international)

3. Official transcript from your current institution.  Please note:  You must meet the minimum academic requirements found here: Admission Requirements by Country (A-Z) 

4. Proof of English language (if required).  See English Language Policy [PDF].

5.  For those International Students studying at an institution outside of Canada, a Course Registration form will be sent to you from Student Records once the timetable has been released. 


It is recommended that all documents be submitted by the following dates, to ensure there is enough time to process your application and allow you to register:

International Students:
Fall (Sept) - June 1  (NOTE: Please email intladmissions@uwinnipeg.ca for applications submitted between May 1 - 31) 
Winter (Jan) - September 15 
Spring (May) - February 28

Domestic Students:
Fall (Sept) - July 15
Winter (Jan) - November 15
Spring (May) - March 15

Academic Options

Visiting students may only register for courses listed on the Letter of Permission or Course Selection Form, if there is space available and if they have completed course work equivalent to UWinnipeg's prerequisites. It is important to confirm that you have completed the required prerequisite courses. UWinnipeg departments have the right to restrict registration if prerequisites have not been completed.

In the Academic Calendar you can find information about all our "AREAS OF STUDY" and you can see our entire catalogue of courses and check prerequisites in the "ALL COURSE DESCRIPTIONS" section.

To see which courses are being offered in an upcoming Term, you can either go to the Timetable or the WebAdvisor online system.  In WebAdvisor, choose "guest" and then "Search for course sections."   For each search, choose a Term and area of study to get a list of courses that are being offered by a department in an upcoming Term.   Clicking on a section name/title will give you more details about that course, including pre-requisites.