fb pixel

Part-Time Student Aid

Part-time student aid assistance is available for students taking a course or two at a time. The main difference between part-time and full-time government student aid funding programs is that the part-time student aid program is federal funds only from Canada Student Loans and Grants.

For more information, visit the Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Students page.

Application Process

Deadline to apply:

We recommend that you apply early if relying on these funds to pay tuition. 6-8 weeks before your term starts is best whenever possible. Part-time loans take longer to process and often take 4-8 weeks before students see any funding.

Term already started but you need funds? You can continue to submit an application up until 45 days before the end of your study period.

Application Instructions for Part-time Students:

Manitoba residents and most out-of-province students need to apply for part-time funds by paper application.*

  1. Register for the courses you intend to take for the session (see FAQ's below for details).
  2. Download the form here: Part-time Loan and Grant Application. Scroll down to “Apply for part-time student grants and loans” section.
  3. Complete sections A to D of the Part-Time Application form. Save (and/or Print to PDF) the form.
  4. Send the partially completed form to the Awards & Financial Aid so we can complete Section E. It is quickest for us to process if you submit the PDF copy to us by email (preferred). You may also drop off the physical form at Student Central.
  5. Submit the completed application and supporting documents to the appropriate Provincial Student Aid branch for assessment. When we send the application back to you, instructions will be included.

*Students from Alberta, British Columbia or Ontario need to complete a provincial part-time application form. Visit the Out-of-Province Student Aid page for a link to your provincial student aid branch.

Course Load Requirements

Part-time students must be enrolled in a 20% - 59% course load to be eligible (unless approved for a reduced course load through permanent disability).

If you have a permanent disability that has been verified through your province's student aid branch and are going to a university or college, you are a part-time student if you are taking 20 to 39% of a full course load each term.

Contact us if you add or drop a course after submitting your part-time application. We can help amend your application or discuss your options.

Paying Tuition & Getting the Money

Release of Funding for Part-time Student Aid Recipients

Once your application is assessed and approved, you will receive a Notice of Assistance and documentation to complete online.

The Awards & Financial Aid office will be contacted electronically to confirm your enrolment. At this time, we will report your course load, costs and request any fees owing to be paid directly to The University of Winnipeg. Remaining funds will be deposited into the bank account you provided to National Student Loans.

Paying Tuition with Government Student Aid

If you are relying on your Government Student Aid to pay your tuition, please note that you are still responsible for meeting the fee payment deadline dates established by Financial Services. Remember that tuition fees are collected directly from your student aid funding and paid to the school if outstanding at the time of confirmation of enrolment. 

NOTE: If your first disbursement does not cover your required tuition fee payment in full, you will have to pay the remainder by fee deadline date to avoid late fees.

How do I access information on my part-time student aid?

Sign up for an online NSLSC account on CanLearn.ca and ensure that the NSLSC has your current contact information.

For information on your student loan(s), contact the NSLSC at 1-888-815-4514 (TTY 1-888-815-4556).

What you can do in your NSLSC account?

  • Confirm your enrolment
  • Change your address
  • Update your banking information
  • Make a one-time payment
  • Set up Pre-Authorized Debit
  • See your payments
  • Check your loan balance
  • View and customize your repayment options
  • Apply for repayment assistance
  • Get your tax slips

Frequently Asked Questions for Part-time Student Aid

Will my parents' income affect my loan?

No. As a part-time student, your parents' income will not affect your loan.

Will my spouse or partner's income affect my loan?

Yes, your spouse or partner's income is used to calculate your loan eligibility.

Will my children be factored into my funding amount?

Yes. If you have children under age 12 who live with you at least 50% of the time, you may qualify for the Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Students with Dependents.

Can I apply for a part-time student loan before I register in courses?

No. Unlike full-time student aid applications completed online, part-time applications require you to list out the courses you are currently registered in and the Awards & Financial Aid office must confirm your registration and costs.

If you do add a course later, you need to inform the Awards & Financial Aid office so we can amend your application with you.

Do waitlist courses count towards my enrollment?

No, waitlist courses are not reported when our office confirms your enrolment. Be sure you are registered in all the courses you want to take when you get your Section E completed by our office.