fb pixel

Get Support

We take all disclosures and reports of sexual violence seriously at the University of Winnipeg. Survivors of all backgrounds and experiences will be treated with dignity, respect, and care.

If you have experienced sexual violence, there are trained staff to help you in whatever way suits you best. 

Before Accessing Support
  • There is no time limit to make a disclosure or to receive support from the university.
  • In cases where a survivor may have been using drugs or alcohol, the survivor will not be punished for using drugs or alcohol and the use will not have a bearing on the investigation.
  • Any UW community member can disclose an incident of sexual violence, even if it is unrelated to the University, in order to receive support or accommodation from the University.
  • You may bring a support person to any meetings you may have with administrators through this process. This could be a friend, family member, translator or interpreter, or anyone you feel comfortable with.
  • Vew the University's sexual violence policies
Disclosing and Reporting

There is a difference between disclosing and reporting. The choice is up to you as a survivor to make.

Disclosing is telling a member of the UW Community that you have experienced sexual violence.

This could be someone you trust or feel comfortable with, like a professor, coach, another staff person, or a member of the Sexual Violence Response Team (SVRT). A disclosure can be made in order to receive support, accommodation, or to be connected to other resources.

The Sexual Violence Response Team (SVRT) is a small team of specially trained, well-situated staff that coordinates and organizes services for survivors in a confidential manner. For example, if you personally do not feel comfortable talking to your professors about extensions or deferring work, they would be able to arrange changes for you without telling the professor why you need accommodation.

You can contact SVRT by phone or text at 204-230-6660 or at svrt@uwinnipeg.ca.

Reporting is making a statement to the Human Rights & Diversity Officer (HRDO) with the intention of seeking remedy, sanction, or consequences through the university.

Once a report is made, the HRDO will review your report and discuss your options. Your options could include an investigation process, or informal resolution (if you wish to resolve it without an investigation). The HRDO can still connect you with support, accommodation, or external organizations while the investigation is taking place.

Contact the HRDO by phone at 204-988-7508or by email at hrdo@uwinnipeg.ca

You can report online here or learn more about reporting here.

How to Make a Disclosure

The process of making a disclosure is less formal than making a statement.

Students can make a disclosure directly to the Sexual Violence Response Team (SVRT):

You can also make a disclosure to any staff or faculty member at the University. You can share as much as you feel comfortable sharing with them, but they do not need to know details of the incident - they are there to provide support, not investigate. If the staff member is able to provide accommodation, they will do so. If the staff member needs assistance from other departments, they will ask your permission to contact the SVRT in order to facilitate accommodation. The SVRT is bound to confidentiality. Although a staff member can act as a connection to you and the SVRT, there may be some cases where the SVRT wants to talk to you to ensure all options for accommodations are explored.

Available Resources

If you have experienced sexual violence, there are trained staff to help you in whatever way suits you best. Some available supports may include:

  • Arranging accommodation at the university. For example, getting course work deferred or extended, dropping courses, changing housing arrangements (for those in residence) or work schedules (for those employed by the University), addressing safety risks, and providing on-campus counselling services.
    Contact the HRDO here to arrange accommodation at The University »
  • Connecting with external organizations. The University can help connect you with other organizations, such as Klinic, the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, Ka Ni Kanichihk, Sage House, and the Winnipeg Police Sex Crime unit. We can help alleviate your concerns with accessing other counselling services, medical care, or making a police report on your own.
    Learn about supports available from external organizations here »
  • Making a report at the university. This could be to seek a remedy, sanction, or other consequences, and may involve an investigation or informal resolution (where appropriate). Learn more about reporting options here »
A Note on Confidentiality

Confidentiality is important to ensuring that you as a Survivor are safe. Your privacy is protected under laws like The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). All UW Community members who receive a Disclosure or Report or who are involved in addressing or investigating an incident must keep the matter Confidential. However, there are some cases where the University is not able to keep information Confidential. These include:

  • An individual is at risk of harming themselves
  • An individual is at risk of harming others
  • There is a serious and immediate danger to the safety of the University or its community
  • A disclosure is required by law (cases involving a minor, or under health and safety or human rights legislation) or in cases where the university must respond to legal proceedings (subpoenas, notice, or orders from a court)

In the large majority of cases, your personal information will be kept private. Those who are giving you support will keep the reason for your accommodations private, and any time that your personal information needs to be shared, you will be asked for permission. In addition, any records related to the policy are held as confidential and statistical reporting is done on an anonymous basis.
You are free to speak to your own experiences, but any information that is learned in the course of an investigation must remain confidential. Any information that you learn about someone else while as part of an investigation must stay private, unless you are given permission to share it by that person.


If you would like to provide feedback on accessing support services or on the Sexual Violence Policy and Sexual Violence Prevention Procedures, please click here.