fb pixel

Information for Prospective Students

MAE Brochure [PDF]

Visa/Study Permit Information

Study Permits

Do I Need a Study Permit Before I Start Studying in the MAE Program?

Yes.  Because a Master of Arts in the MAE program generally takes one year or more to complete, you will be required to submit and obtain an approval of a Study Permit application through a Canadian Visa Office outside of Canada before you may begin studying in this program.

Can I Apply for an Extension of my Study Permit if I Need More Time to Complete My Program?

Yes.  If you currently hold a Study Permit, and need more time to complete your program, you can apply to extend the validity of your Study Permit from within Canada.  Applications to extend your Study Permit may be made online or on paper.

Working in Canada

Can I work while I am in Canada on a Study Permit?

As a holder of a Study Permit, you may be eligible to work on-campus and off-campus, without need for a Work Permit, as long as you can meet certain conditions.

Can I work in Canada once I have completed the MAE program?

Once you have completed the requirements to graduate from the MAE program, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), in order to gain Canadian work experience. The PGWP is an open work permit, which will allow you to work anywhere in Canada, and in almost any occupation. For more information on the Post-Graduation Work Permit program, please visit the IRCC website.


How can I get more information on Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) applications and required documentation?

See the following websites for more information:

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

For information on current processing times for temporary residence documents, please see the IRCC website.

Is it possible for me to apply to immigrate to Canada after completing the MAE program?

Graduates of the MAE program, particularly those who have accumulated Canadian work experience, may become eligible to apply to immigrate to Canada under one or more of Canada’s provincial or federal skilled worker programs.   

Those who intend to settle in Manitoba may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP).

See the following websites for more information:

DISCLAIMER: This webpage does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied upon as a source of legal advice. It is a webpage designed to provide general information on Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) processes and programs.  It describes existing requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the regulations made under that Act in general terms. IRCC’s regulations, policies and procedures are subject to change and may change without notice. For the most current information, please visit IRCC’s website. The material on this page was produced by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. Revised August 18, 2017.