fb pixel

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs from Adult Learners about UWinnipeg

What can I study at the University of Winnipeg?

There are 5 Undergraduate Faculties at UWinnipeg – ArtsBusiness and EconomicsEducationKinesiology and Applied Health and Science

Go to the Academic Calendar or Visit Undergraduate Degree Programs to review the areas of study.

To see when courses are being offered, go to the Timetable and click on the term(s) you wish to take courses. Once you are admitted to the UWinnipeg, visit Registration for assistance.


When and how do I apply for admission?

You can start your university studies in one of these three terms - Fall (September), Winter (January) or Spring (May). See our application deadlines and, when you are ready, apply online.

For assistance, go to Getting Started.


I have been out of school for many years. Is it possible for me to start university, even after all this time?

Of course! Not everyone comes to university right after graduating from high school. The University of Winnipeg offers many services and supports to help you re-enter the education system. Through the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process you might even find that you get university credit for the knowledge you've acquired through your work or life learning experiences. Call 204.786.9257 for more information or to make an in-person or telephone appointment with the Academic Advisor, Adult Learners and RPL.   


I don't want to take degree courses for credit, write papers or take the tests/exams. How do I audit a course?

If you are not admitted to The University of Winnipeg, you can apply for admission as an auditor.

  • The online application has an ‘Audit Status’ category – check this box.
  • You do not have to submit any documentation, however,
  • You are required to obtain written permission to audit the course from the professor of the course(s) prior to you being admitted.
  • Once the admissions department receives both your complete online application and the written permission from the professor to audit the course, you will be registered by the staff in Student Central.
  • Prior to the course start date, you will be expected to pay the ½ tuition fee for auditing the course.


If you are admitted to The University of Winnipeg:

  • You would obtain written permission to audit the course from the professor of the course. See Auditing a Course for details. 
Can I take a degree course if I'm a senior citizen?


  • You can apply for admission as an Audit Status student as noted above. 
  • Or you can apply for admission as a Regular or Mature Status student. 
    • See Getting Started for more detailed information on how to apply. 
    • As a Regular or Mature Status student you can choose to take courses for credit – doing the course work (papers, writing test/exams, etc.) or you can choose to audit courses – you must obtain written permission from the professor to audit the course.
    • If you are 65 years of age or older prior to the course start date, the tuition is free.

Robert, a retired Canadian Forces member says:

My professors and the young people all make me feel welcome; I don't feel out of place at all. I was first introduced to the university environment through the 55-Plus program at the UWinnipeg’s PACE, and I continue to be involved with it, as well as taking credit courses toward a BA in History. I'm very grateful to UWinnipeg for giving me the opportunity to make learning a lifelong activity!

If I don't have Grade 12, can I still be admitted to the university?

You may qualify to be admitted as a Mature or a Mature Access student provided you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and are at least 21 years of age during the calendar year in which you wish to register for university courses.

For Mature applicants, in addition to the above, you must meet at least one of seven Who is Eligible? Check the Mature Admission Criteria

Go to Mature Access for information and the application guidelines.

What is a credit hour? And how are classes scheduled?

Six credit hour courses normally run over two terms (September to April) attending three hours of class per week for 24 weeks. Three credit hour courses normally run over one term, either the Fall or the Winter attending three hours of class per week for 12 weeks. In some cases, a condensed six credit hour course is offered in one term - you would attend class for six hours per week for 12 weeks.

Courses offered in both Spring and Summer terms are usually condensed; the courses are scheduled in a variety of formats.

Can I study part-time?

If you cannot take classes on a full-time basis (3 to 5 courses/18-30 credit hours) over Fall and Winter academic term, a university education is still possible. Many students pursue a degree on a part-time basis (2 courses/6 credit hours or less) during the day or in the evening, throughout the Fall, Winter or Spring academic terms. In addition, students have the option of registering for many online courses. And the best part is there is no time limit to finish your degree! (some exemptions apply).

If you're planning on starting university studies on a part-time basis and wish to register for one or two courses per term, go to How to Navigate WebAdvisor [PDF] first for assistance!

When can I take courses?

Courses are available in-class, mornings, afternoons, evenings, as well as online courses in live (Zoom), hybrid and asynchronous formats. Find out more about online courses. The University of Winnipeg offers courses in three terms. Admitted students may register for courses in any of these terms:

  • Fall (12 week term, September - December)
  • Winter (12 week term, January - April)
  • Spring/Summer (variable, 1 week to 12 weeks, May - July)
What courses should I select? What is the course number for Introduction to University? Academic Writing?

Your course selections for first year will depend on your goals, your interests, and the high school and/or university courses you have already taken and/or the transfer credits you've been awarded. For our How-To-Guide with Practical information refer to First-Year Essentials[PDF] To find descriptions and prerequisites for University of Winnipeg courses, please see Academic Calendar and or see Areas of Study. You can also find some really helpful information to assist you with planning your courses and registering at this link:  Registration Process.

If you are new to university or have taken a break, check out these two courses which will ease you into your studies and prepare you well for all other courses

  • MULT-1000(3) Introduction to University - optional, go to News and Events for more details.
  • RHET-1XXX(3) Academic Writing - for most students is a requirement.
Am I able to access financial assistance?

Yes! There are a wide variety of ways to fund your education as an adult learner, such as scholarships, bursaries, and awards. The UWinnipeg offers both Entrance and In-Course award opportunities, as well as an on-campus Employment Program (Work/Study). There are also many awards offered by private companies and organizations. For more information and an online application form:  visit Awards and Financial Aid.

The Government of Canada also works in partnership with most provinces and territories to deliver student financial assistance programs, such as Manitoba Student Aid. To qualify, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person. You must apply through the province or territory of which you have permanent residency. For more information or to obtain contact information for your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office, visit www.canlearn.ca.

Awards and Financial Aid

Location:Room 2Ri06, 2nd Floor - Rice Centre (489 Portage Ave)
Email: awards@uwinnipeg.ca
Phone: 204.779.8946
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30pm
Do I have to pay for the whole year in September?

You do not have to pay your tuition all at once. For Fall and Fall/Winter courses, you pay for tuition in September and for Winter courses, you pay for tuition in January. The deadline is generally three business days after the Add/Drop Period for the term. For Spring Term, payment is due in May, regardless of when your course actually begins.  Go to UWinnipeg fee information for specific dates and details.

What about Parking or the U-Pass?

Parking is available on the streets using parking meters, in nearby parkades and in parking spaces from local residents and businesses (students would make their own arrangements). For information on renting evening and/or weekend parking from the University of Winnipeg, call the Parking Coordinator at 204.786.9968 and for more information go to Parking (RecPlex evening rates start at 5:30pm).  Alternatively, take a bus.  The University of Winnipeg's Students Association (UWSA) U-Pass is currently suspended, but you may qualify for a transit subsidy or purchase a discounted post-secondary bus pass.  See U-Pass.


I was very ill during the term and I'm having trouble keeping up with my studies. What are my options?

At times students experience extenuating circumstances that prevent them from completing their course work, writing their final exam or withdrawing from the course by the final withdrawal deadline. The situation could be an illness, a car accident, a death in the family, etc. which would be considered beyond your control. The University of Winnipeg offers an appeals process for students. For more information about your options please call 204.786.9257 to make arrangements to speak to an Academic Advisor.