fb pixel

Recognition of Prior Learning

At The University of Winnipeg Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) provides learners with welcome opportunities to identify, demonstrate and gain recognition for what they already know and can do. It is for learners who have significant learning through informal and non-formal education, work and life experiences. Through this process the UWinnipeg offers to help you analyze your education and learning experience and determine what you need to reach your goals. We take into account your education as a whole, including the knowledge and skills you have gained through work and life experience. This learning may be appropriate to meet admission requirements or be equivalent to university level credit. For definitions go to RPL Glossary of Terms [PDF].


Mature Access: Admission of students who do not meet the UWinnipeg's undergraduate admission requirements.

    • Can I still apply to the UWinnipeg if I don't meet the Regular or Mature Status admission criteria? Yes, if you have acquired informal and formal learning (refer to RPL Glossary of Terms above) that has prepared you for university study.  Admission is based on your prior learning.

For the how to and more detailed information, please see Mature Access.

Transfer Credit: Non-Traditional Post-Secondary Education toward an undergraduate degree

    • Do you have a degree or have you completed some courses from another university? 
    • Do you have a Certificate or Diploma from a College or a University Continuing Education Department?
    • Have you acquired other types of post-secondary education?

We have lots of options to help you get credit for your previous post-secondary education. For information see Transfer Credit.

PLAR - Challenge for Credit Process: Assessment and recognition of informal, non-formal and non-transferable formal learning toward an undergraduate degree.

    • Do you have enough knowledge about a subject that a course may be repetitive to you?

The UWinnipeg's Challenge for Credit process is conducted on a course-by-course basis. For the how to and for information see PLAR.

Military Training and Service: Recognition of specific Canadian Forces Military Training and Service toward an undergraduate degree.

    • Are you a veteran, current or retired member of the Canadian Forces?

Go to Military Training and Service for information on how you could receive credit toward you degree.