fb pixel

Immigration Advising

Due to COVID-19, many of the immigration processes including travel requirements, study permit and working conditions have temporarily changed. Guides provided on this page may not reflect the current changes. It is recommended that students contact an IIRSS immigration advisor to review their specific case. For the most current information, please visit the IRCC Website or contact the Call Centre at 1.888.242.2100 (within Canada only).

International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services offers immigration advising for all currently registered or admitted international students, free of charge. UWinnipeg staff include our Immigration Student Advisor (Ali Raza), who is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), as well as several Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) to support you with your immigration-related questions during your time as a student.

NOTE: All international undergraduate students must present their original study permit to International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services (IIRSS). (Students who are studying less than six months must present the stamp on their passport to IIRSS). We must keep current records of this information to ensure your eligibility to study in Canada at the University of Winnipeg.

What we can help you with:

  • Applying for documents to enter Canada as a UWinnipeg student (study permit, temporary resident visa, etc.)
  • Extending your study permit and understanding how to comply with your study permit conditions
  • Clarification on conditions related to student work in Canada (working on and off campus, volunteering and co-op work permits)
  • Inviting family members to visit you while you are a student
  • Spousal work permits
  • Apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit
  • Connecting current students with resources related to their settlement after graduation (post-graduation work permit, Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, etc.). 

What we cannot help with/outside our scope of services:

  • Filling out applications for you or contacting IRCC on your behalf
  • Detailed questions about Permanent Residence and long-term settlement programs
  • Information regarding immigrating to another country
  • Advising non-UWinnipeg students or providing immigration advice after changing institutions
  • Advising students who have graduated more than six months ago

To book a personalized immigration advising session:

Visit our Appointment Booking page

To help us prepare for your appointment, include the following information in your email:

  • UWinnipeg Student Number, Full Name, Citizenship(s)
  • All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  • Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  • Detailed information on what you need assistance with, including relevant documents such as a rejection letter

For quick (10-minute) questions

Attend a drop-in session. Email iirss@uwinnipeg.ca for more details.

Guides about applying to enter Canada / entering Canada:

  • Applying for a Study Permit & Temporary Resident Visa (From outside of Canada) [PDF]
  • Entering Canada [PDF]
  • US Citizens/Nationals: Applying for a Study Permit at the Port of Entry [PDF]
  • Visa Exempt Students: Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) [PDF]

Guides for specific student groups:

  • PACE students: Applying for a Study Permit (Outside of Canada) [PDF]
  • PACE students: Entering Canada [PDF]
  • ELP Students: Visa/Permit Information for ELP students outside of Canada [PDF]
  • Visiting/Exchange Students (studying for less than 6 months): Study Permit/Visa Information [PDF]
  • Visiting/Exchange Students (studying for more than 6 months): Study Permit/Visa Information [PDF

Guides on working in Canada as an International Student:

  • Working in Canada [PDF]
  • Amending your Study Permit [PDF]

Additional resources for students:

  • Employment
  • How to invite a family member to visit [PDF]
  • Work Permits for Spouses/Partners of Full-time students [PDF]

 Guides to completing IRCC online applications (from within Canada):

  • Creating an IRCC Online Account & Photo Specifications [PDF]
  • Extending Your Study Permit [PDF]
  • Applying for a Temporary Resident Visa Online [PDF]
  • Co-op Work Permit [PDF]
  • Applying for Post-Graduation Work Permit [PDF]

Applying for Permanent Residence

Express Entry

IIRSS does not provide personal advising on specific settlement programs or applications, but has prepared this guide for your information.

  • Permanent Residence - Express Entry (Federal Skilled Worker) [PDF]
  • For detailed information on Express Entry, please visit IRCC website

Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program

  • The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) offers a number of immigration pathways for international students (Skilled Workers in Manitoba [PDF] & Skilled Workers Overseas) For further information, please visit MPNP website
  • MPNP announced changes (November 15, 2017) that includes the launch of International Education Stream [PDF]. Please see the MPNP website for further information.
  • Office contact:
    • Manitoba Immigration and Economic Opportunities
    • Address: 213 Notre Dame Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1N3
    • Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
    • Email: immigratemanitoba@gov.mb.ca 
    • Phone: 204.945.2806

Additional information & seeking assistance from IRCC

General Information
Visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website

Online Assistance
Visit IRCC’s online Help Centre and read the tips on completing online applications. You may also wish to view the instruction guide provided for each of the different application forms (i.e.: Study Permit Instruction Guide)

IRCC Telephone Assistance (in Canada only)
Call 1-888-242-2100 (Open Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm)
Please note that the wait times can vary and that the Call Centre does not always accept calls during busy periods.

IRCC Web Form
Visit IRCC's Web Form to submit a question regarding an application that you have submitted.

Important: When submitting a web form enquiry to IRCC about a specific application, it is important to provide as much information as possible to allow IRCC to respond to the situation. For example, if you are experiencing a technical difficulty, you may wish to take screen shots and upload them with your enquiry.

Further Assistance Inside and Outside of Canada (for a fee)
Find an Immigration Lawyer: Call the Lawyer Referral Program at 204-943-3602 (in Manitoba)
Find a Certified Immigration Consultant: Visit the IRCC website

Further Assistance with Applications Outside of Canada
If you have questions or need assistance with an application to be submitted outside of Canada, please contact the Canadian Visa Office or Visa Application Centre in your country of nationality or residence.