fb pixel

Income Tax

In Canada, the Income Tax Year runs from January to December and we file income taxes for the previous year (i.e. in 2024, we file for 2023 taxes). The deadline to file income taxes is April 30th of each year. Individuals must keep their tax information for a minimum of six (6) years. The Canada Revenue Agency (the government agency responsible for taxes) can request tax documents at any time.

Who should submit an income tax return?
You can file for income taxes if you were in Canada on December 31st of the tax year or earlier (2023) and are considered a resident of Canada. For the purposes of taxes, most international students are considered "residents." If you are unsure, please contact ISS.

What is the benefit of filing for income taxes?
Even if you did not receive scholarships or have paid employment, you should file income taxes as you may qualify for income tax credits or other benefits. You can also apply for a GST credit when filing income taxes. 

How can I get help filing my income taxes?
Every year, ISS offers a free workshop in March to help students to file their income taxes. Contact iss@uwinnipeg.ca for more information.

What do you need to file for income taxes?
To file for income taxes, you will need the following:

  1. A social insurance number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  2. Tax Receipts (see below)

Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Most international students are now eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number. Please see our Employment page for more information.

Applying for an Individual Tax Number (ITN)
Students who are not eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number, must apply for an Individual Tax Number. Please contact ISS for more information.

Tax Receipts
The following are the most common tax receipts for international students. Usually the deadline to receive these documents is the beginning of March.

  • T2202 – Tuition and enrolment certificate
  • Rent Statement/Receipt
  • T4 – Statement of Remuneration Paid (Employment)
  • T4A – Scholarships, Bursaries, Fellowships, or Research Grants
  • Medical Expenses

The information collected from students is for the sole purpose of filing income taxes with the CRA. This information will not be used for any other purpose other than the stated purpose.

Other Free Tax Clinics

If you do not qualify for filing taxes with the ISS Income tax Clinic, you may view the list of other free tax clinics.