International Student-Deposits, Payments & Refunds

Important: Full-time students (9 or more qualifying credits per term) are automatically charged the Health Plan and the U-Pass. For opt-out/in information please visit the UWSA website.


Do I need to pay a deposit before I even come to Canada?

While The University of Winnipeg doesn't require you to make a deposit payment before the tuition deadline, you might be asked to provide proof of your finances in form of a deposit to the University. To learn more, please contact your local embassy and/or Immigration Canada.

TIP:  Our International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services website offers many helpful tips as well!

NOTE: Please make sure to read our refund policy before submitting a deposit payment: REFUNDS AND CREDITS

I'm ready to make a payment – how do I do that?

All our international students are now paying using our partner Flywire for their tuition and University residence fees. With Flywire most of our students have the option to choose from several payment methods and currencies, including their home currency at competitive rates. With Flywire, you are allowed to pay from any country at any bank.  It is fast, simple and cost effective from any country – any time.

  • Track your payments from start to finish using the Flywire student dashboard
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates as compared to traditional banks
  • Payments are posted to your student account more quickly than they would be if you were using a regular bank to pay.
  • You can be assured that you will never have a short-payment due to unexpected transfer fees or bank charges.

Go ahead and open an account! All you need is your official UW student number:

TIP:  Don’t be shy if you need a little bit more assistance! Regardless of your time zone, Flywire’s dedicated multilingual customer support team is available 24/7 via live chat, Skype, email and phone!

NOTE: If you made a pre-payment and request a refund prior to completing 18 credit hours at The University of Winnipeg, an administrative fee of $8,500, less the cost of tuition paid, will be deducted from your refund.

Flywire questions?
Contact Flywire directly

Toll-free from Canada: 1(800) 346-9252
Video Tutorial: Additional Contact Numbers:

University of Winnipeg processing questions?

  • Undergraduate Tuition and Housing:  204.786.9244
  • Undergraduate Admission Fees: 204.779.8946
  • Graduate:  204.786.9309
  • Collegiate Students:  204.786.9219
  • English Language program:  204.982.1702
  • Professional, Applied & Cont. Ed Students:  204.982.6639
  • International Students:  204.789.1458
How much money should I send?

Again, it would be best if you check with your embassy to get the right amount for a required tuition pre-payment. Other than that, only send enough to cover your tuition and on-campus housing.

You can take a look at our current Fee Schedule here to get an idea.

TIP: We only accept deposits to cover tuition and University residence fees. If you require money for your personal living expenses, please open a Canadian bank account. Ask International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services for tips on how to set up your very own account!

Do I have to pay everything at once or can I make smaller payments?

Of course, you can make smaller payments! Just make sure that your account is paid off before the due date.  Remember that all courses starting in September, even the ones that run all year are due in September. Courses starting in Winter don’t have to be paid until the Winter deadline and all fees for Spring are due on the same deadline, regardless of when they start.

TIP: You can always check our homepage to see when the due dates for this year are!

I’m staying in University Housing. Can I send my tuition and Residence payment in one payment through Flywire?

We want to make sure the money gets to our Campus Living department right away which is why we ask you to make separate payments for tuition and Campus Living Residence fees. When sending residence fees, make sure to click on the 'Campus Living Residence Payments' portal. Tuition payments can be made through the 'Tuition' portal.

TIP: When you sent your Campus Living Residence payment through Flywire, you will be asked to enter your unique student AND invoice number which can be found in your payment schedule!


What happens once you receive my payment? Will you notify me and do I get a receipt?

Once we receive your payment, we will apply it to your student account and you will then be able to print your own receipts:

You can print a receipt right from our Self-Service portal . Simply log into your account, go to ‘Student Finance’” and click on ‘Account Detail’ on the right side. Now you can open any term from the drop down menu and either choose ‘View Statement’ to see all charges and payments for the selected term or you can open ‘Payments’ (in some case it will say ‘Deposits’) and click on one of the underlined receipt numbers on the left-hand side if you wish to view the details of a specific payment.

TIP: Check your WebAdvisor account regularly to be aware of any outstanding balance!


I’m trying but I won’t be able to pay off my account before the due date. What can I do?

If your payment is just a little late, you might be charged a Late Payment fine of $77.00 and your account might be placed on Hold. If you know that your payment will be more than a few days late, contact us and we’ll talk about it.

TIP: Check out our Awards and Bursaries - You might qualify!

I received an email/letter and it said I had a financial hold! What should I do?

A financial Hold means that there is still an outstanding amount owing. Check under Financial Information to find out how much and what it’s for and submit your full payment as soon as possible! Don’t worry, you can still go to class but as long as the hold is active you won’t be able to register for more classes, drop classes on WebAdvisor, request official letters and transcripts or graduate.

TIP: If you have a hold, a little message will pop up on your WebAdvisor. Look out for it!


What if I have a credit on my account?

Please contact our International Student Services Coordinator, (, with a completed International Student Refund Request form (pdf version) to request a refund. If the refund is under $500 and not in a deposit account it may already be on the way! International payments are returned to their country of origin by the original payment method (i.e. Flywire will be returned through Flywire)

TIP: Always update your address on WebAdvisor so we can send your refund to the right address!

TIP: Refunds under $500 can be requested in person at Student Central!

My visa has been refused but I already sent a deposit payment. Now what?

We are sad to hear you won’t be attending but we want to help you to get your money refunded to you as soon as possible! Please contact our International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services Coordinator, (, with a completed International Student Refund Request form (pdf version) to request a refund. Make sure to attach any documentation regarding your visa refusal (official visa refusal letter). Your refund will be returned the same way it was received (i.e. Flywire will be returned through Flywire).

I don't have a visa refusal letter but I would like to decline my acceptance. What do I have to do?

Please contact our International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services Coordinator, (, with a completed International Student Refund Request form (pdf version) to request the transfer.

Notes: Students requesting a refund who have studied fewer than 30 credit hours at UWinnipeg will be subject to an administrative fee of $8,500.

TIP: Remember to drop all your classes by the deadline as soon as you know you won’t be attending. Otherwise no other student can take your place and all fees will be owing!

How long will it take for me to get my refund?

We are trying our best to get the money to you as quickly as possible but it might take approximately 3-8 weeks depending on how and where we are refunding it.

TIP: Check your WebAdvisor. If you don’t see the credit anymore, it means we are working on it!


If you need help figuring out how to budget for your studies, please contact International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services at

For all other financial questions and forms check out our departmental website  or contact us directly at or by phone 1-204-786-9244 (Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm CST).