Preparing a Plan
To plan effectively you will need to:
- Determine where you will study to obtain the training you need to work in your desired profession. Identify a program that corresponds with your goals and values.
- Evaluate any lifestyle changes that you will be required to make in order to attend the institution, for example: change of residence, financial cost, availability of employment opportunities, accommodations, transportation, and community support networks such as friends, family, shopping, health care professionals, etc.
- Research companies or organizations that hire people in your profession of choice. What experience and skills are these companies/organizations looking for? Look at current job postings so you know what is going to make you stand out when you are ready to apply for jobs.
- What goals do you need to set in order to obtain your career of choice?
- Register for programs and classes that will prepare you to work in your field of interest.
- Talk to your professors about opportunities in your field of study and look at University departmental websites to find links to organizations or associations that may have job opportunities or career information.
- Apply for part-time and summer jobs in your area of interest to gain relevant experience, take advantage of volunteer opportunities related to what you would like to do and apply for internships or co-op opportunities.
- Write and keep your resume or curriculum vitae up-to-date.
- Maintain a portfolio of your work and experiences.
- Learn appropriate job search techniques and interviewing skills.
- Write a list of steps required to obtain your dream job!