fb pixel

Suspension FAQs

Why have I been suspended?

Once a student has completed 18 credit hours, they are assessed at the end of each term to make sure that they are meeting the minimum cumulative GPA required for regular status. When a student’s GPA falls below the minimum requirement, they are moved to probation.

While on probation, students must meet two restrictions: 1) They must not exceed 9 credit hours of classes per term, and 2) They must achieve a term GPA of 2.0 (C grade average) each term while on probation.

If a student does not meet the 2.0 requirement during any term while they are on probation, they are moved to suspension, and expected to sit out of university for a period of time. 

To find the University's policy for suspension, go to the Academic Calendar’s Regulations & Policies section.

Can I still take classes while on suspension?

You cannot register for any additional classes after you have been moved to suspension. However, if you are registered in classes which have already begun when notified of your suspension, you do have the option of continuing in those classes, or withdrawing with a full refund. Please note that in order to receive a full refund, you must notify a Student Success Advisor of your decision within one week of receiving your notice of suspension, and you must drop all classes.

Does this mean I can't get a degree?

Being suspended does not mean that you cannot get your degree. You can return after your suspension is complete or after an Appeal for Readmission. However, a suspension does signal that your current progress is not heading in the right direction for a degree. It is important that you take some time to re-evaluate your strategies and make adjustments so that when you return, you have a plan to increase your GPA and get your degree.

We highly recommend contacting a Student Success Advisor to create a Success Plan prior to your return to classes. Email studentsuccess@uwinnipeg.ca to contact a Student Success Advisor right away.

How long will my suspension last?

If this is your first suspension, you are expected to sit out for one year (three academic terms).
All subsequent suspensions will require you to sit out for two years, and will require an appeal in order to return. Please contact studentsuccess@uwinnipeg.ca for assistance with the appeal process.

Do I have to sit out the full suspension?

There is an appeal process available for students who wish to return early from their first suspension, or who wish to return after a second suspension. However, those appeals are generally only granted if a student has demonstrated academic success since their suspension.

If you’d like more information on appeals for Readmission After Suspension, please contact a Student Success Advisor, or email studentsuccess@uwinnipeg.ca.

I am ready to return. What do I need to do?

Your first step when you are ready to return is always to speak with a Student Success Advisor. Your Student Success Advisor will guide you through the process, which may change depending on whether this is your first or second suspension, and whether you have sat out the full suspension period.

If you have been suspended for one year and have sat out the full year (three terms), you need to speak with an advisor to receive a permission form to be reinstated. Domestic students will also need to complete a Continuance Application in order to be reinstated. International students who have sat out for three terms will need to reapply for admission to the University.  Your advisor will work with you to develop a plan for success and connect you with helpful resources. For the Continuance Application form, visit Continuing Student.   

If you have been suspended for two years, whether you have sat out the full term or not, you must submit an Appeal for Readmission After Suspension. An advisor can assist you with the completion of this appeal. Please keep in mind that these appeals are not guaranteed to be granted, so it is a good idea to talk to an advisor in advance of making your appeal.

Will my suspension show up on my transcript?

Yes, suspensions are permanently noted on your transcript. While we understand that this is distressing, the most important thing is to make sure that your future terms are as successful as possible. We recommend contacting a Student Success Advisor to create an Academic Success Plan, and to make sure that you are aware of all the resources you have available to you. Email studentsuccess@uwinnipeg.ca to contact a Student Success Advisor right away.


Make an appointment with a Student Success Advisor today by emailing studentsuccess@uwinnipeg.ca or advising@uwinnipeg.ca or by calling 204.786.9257.