Emergency Response Guidelines
Actions to consider if taken Hostage
Your actions may help calm the situation or help to exasperate it.
- Try to remain calm.
- Remember the primary objective of the University and the Police is to secure your safe release as quickly as possible.
- Do not make provocative remakes toward your abductor(s).
- Do not patronize, yell or argue.
- Do not joke or be sarcastic.
- Your abductor(s) may react explosively and could become violent or abusive.
- Unless you have the training and experience, you should not try to negotiate with the abductor(s).
< Back to Emergency Response Guidelines Main