Emergency Response Guidelines
Influenza, the flu, is a viral illness that spreads from person to person by coughing, sneezing or through contact with surfaces that have been contaminated.
Symptoms may include fever, headache, cough, muscle aches, runny nose, sore throat and exhaustion. The onset of influenza is usually sudden.
How to Reduce the Risk of Influenza:
- Frequent and thorough hand washing, particularly after coughing or sneezing. Recite the alphabet from A to Z when washing your hands.
- Cough or sneezing into your sleeve instead of your hands.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes - points of entry for the influenza virus
- Avoid sharing food, cups, bottles and other materials that can spread influenza
- See a doctor if you feel ill
- Stay home if you are ill