Frequently Asked Questions

Business and Administration

Thank you for your interest in the Bachelor of Business Administration degree at The University of Winnipeg! Below are answers to some of the most common questions students have had about a BBA degree as well as referrals to sources of further information.


What are some possible career options for a BBA graduate?

Students graduating with a BBA are qualified for entry-level positions in business, not-for-profit organizations and the public sector. For BBA graduates with significant work experience, a BBA can create opportunities for promotion and middle management positions.

Past graduates of the business program at The University of Winnipeg have found work in accounting firms, banks, insurance companies, retail management, manufacturing, as well as in government and not-for-profit organizations. Typical positions include assistant account representatives, assistant managers, first-level supervisory positions, financial analysts, and some middle management positions.

What are the primary differences between a 3-Year BBA degree and a 4-Year BBA degree?

Any 3-Year degree at The University of Winnipeg requires successful completion of 90 credit hours; any 4-Year degree requires successful completion of 120 credit hours.

The 4-Year BBA covers the fundamentals subjects of business and allows for concentration in a particular area, such as Accounting, Marketing, International Business or Human Resources / Organizational Behaviour. As such it is a good foundation for further study in business such as an MBA or other graduate degree program, and is more widely recognized in the business world as analogous to a Bachelor of Commerce degree.

The 3-Year BBA is covers the fundamental subjects of business, and is an excellent complement to a degree in another field. As such, it is intended to be readily accessible as a part of a double degree program.

However, please note that it is not possible to "double major" with a BBA and a major in some other subject, because a BBA is a degree in and of itself, not a "major" within some other type of degree. In order to earn two degrees, students must meet all the requirements of both degrees sought and complete an additional 30 credit hours beyond what would be expected for the "longer" of those two degrees.

Is it possible for a 3-Year BBA degree graduate subsequently to earn a 4-Year BBA degree?

Yes. The requirements for a 3-Year BBA degree are all relevant to a 4-Year BBA degree, so it is relatively straightforward to complete the additional requirements for a 4-Year BBA degree after having graduated with a 3-Year BBA.

However, it is not possible to hold both a 3-Year BBA and a 4-Year BBA, because that would be double counting the same credits! Once the additional requirements have been met for a 4-Year BBA degree, it will replace the original 3-Year BBA degree. Note that Student Central (or the Convocations Office in Student Records) must receive the original 3-Year BBA degree back from the graduate before it will issue the 4-Year degree.

How do I declare that I want to work towards a BBA degree?

A two-page form is available for this purpose. Click on "Get Help" under "Undergraduate Programmes" on the left.  To complete it, list all the courses you have already taken, as well as all the courses you intend to take to fulfill the business-specific requirements of a BBA program. This completed form must be submitted to Student Central after you have completed 36 credit hours and before you have completed 60 credit hours. Of course, you are welcome to do this sooner if you choose.

The rationale for this requirement is to encourage you to think through your degree program all the way to completion at a time when you still have at least two academic years ahead of you to schedule courses.  Therefore, an advisor will not sign a blank form or fill out the form for you as you hold the right and responsibility to decide what courses you take.

However, even after you and the advisor have signed the form, you are not “locked in” to that plan for the next two or more years; you can substitute other courses for the ones on the form, provided that the resulting combination of courses still meets the program requirements of the BBA degree you are working towards.

Once you have filled out the form, make an appointment with an advisor in the Business & Administration department through to have the form signed. At that time, you are welcome to ask any questions you may have about the BBA program, some of which may be covered by the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions listed below.

Please note that this form addresses only the requirements that are specific to a BBA degree. Every BBA program must also meet the university's general degree requirements, as listed in the online Calendar. Therefore, you should also consult with an adviser from Student Services about these university requirements, and request a "graduation audit" through Student Services one year prior to your intended graduation date.

How do I know what courses to choose?

The Business and Administration section of the University of Winnipeg Course Calendar states the requirements for earning a BBA degree, and takes precedence over any other documentation pertaining to that subject.

Prerequisites and other possible conditions pertaining to taking a particular course are stated in the Course Description section.

The Declaration for a Bachelor of Business and Administration (BBA) Degree form will help to plan a way to meet the business-specific requirements of a BBA degree. Academic Advising has forms that will help to plan a way to meet the university's general degree requirements that are common to all undergraduate degrees.

Tip: Not all courses described in the Course Calendar are offered every term, so check the Timetable or WebAdvisor (online registration) to see when a particular course is being offered.

Every year, some new “Experimental” courses are offered for the first or second time in a variety of subject areas. Their descriptions can be found in the Calendar at the end of the Business course listings.”

How should I organize my BBA program in order to complete it most efficiently?

In order to complete a BBA program efficiently, take foundation courses (such as Introduction to Business I and II and the 2000-level Fundamentals courses) as early in your program as possible because they are prerequisites for most other courses required for a BBA. This strategy will give you the most schedule flexibility for subsequent terms.

The selection of courses offered in Spring is usually less broad than that offered during Fall and Winter sessions. Therefore, to take advantage of the Spring session to accelerate your program, “save” taking courses offered in Spring for that session, and use the Fall and Winter sessions to take courses not offered in the Spring session.

What courses can I take as a first year student?

First year students are usually not eligible to take courses with university-level prerequisites. However, there are several courses required for a BBA program that do not require prerequisites, such as Introduction to Business I (BUS-1201/3), Introduction to Business II (BUS-1202/3), Introduction to Micro-Economics (ECON-1102/3), Introduction to Macro-Economics (ECON-1103/3), and Business Government Relations in Canada (POL-2320/3), so it is possible to get started on the business-specific requirements of a BBA program in first year of university studies.

Of course there are also many other courses in other subject areas that are available to first year students, and virtually any of them will count towards the university's general degree requirements. Going to university is a opportunity for exploration and personal development, so there's no need to make the business-specific requirements of a BBA program the prime focus of a first year.  

A sample first year schedule can be found here.


Is it possible to take a course without having all the prerequisites?

Prerequisites are intended to ensure that students only register for courses in which they have a fair chance of succeeding. Therefore, it is generally not possible to register for a course for which you do not have the specified prerequisites. However, if you believe that other studies and/or work experience give you the background to have a fair chance of succeeding in a course even though you do not have the stated prerequisites, contact the professor teaching the course to discuss your background and interest in the course.  Please note that scheduling convenience is not a valid reason for a prerequisite waiver.

Is it possible to transfer credits from courses I have taken at other institutions?

In many cases it is possible to transfer credits from university-level work done at other institutions both within Canada and beyond. Many courses from local institutions, such as The University of Manitoba and Red River College have already been evaluated as analogous to particular University of Winnipeg courses.

If this is not the case for a course you want to have considered for transfer credit, it will be necessary to present detailed information about that course (normally a course description and course outline) as well as information about the institution offering it, to Student Services. Student Services will then refer that package of information to the appropriate department(s) for evaluation.

In order to initiate the process of having work completed at other institutions evaluated for transfer credit at The University of Winnipeg you must first apply to The University of Winnipeg.

Is it possible to take a course that is not offered at The University of Winnipeg and have it count towards my University of Winnipeg degree?   What is the process to do so?

Although the Business and Administration program is growing rapidly and expanding its course offerings every academic year, it cannot offer every possible subject related to business, nor offer every course in its curriculum every term. Therefore, it is possible to take courses towards a University of Winnipeg BBA degree at other institutions, provided they meet University of Winnipeg academic standards of substance and rigor.

To apply to do so, you will first need to obtain appropriate documentation about the course at the outside institution, normally a course description and a course outline. (Documentation may not be required if you are planning to take the course at a Manitoba institution, because most courses at our sister institutions have already been evaluated for credit at The University of Winnipeg.)

You will also need an Application for Letter of Permission form available from either the Business Department Secretary, currently Connie Arnhold in 3D11, or from Student Records. This completed form, supported by the documentation about the course you want to take at an outside institution must then be signed by the Business and Administration Department Chair who may want to know why you are interested in taking the course.   However, assuming the course meets University of Winnipeg standards for substance and rigor, and that you have the required prerequisites or equivalencies to give you a fair chance of succeeding in the course, you will normally be granted permission to count the course towards your University of Winnipeg degree.

Once you have the signed form, take it back to Student Central with the required $60 application fee. A minimum of 10 working days for letters of permission to institutions inside Manitoba and 15 working days for Letters of Permission to institutions outside Manitoba is required to complete the request so be sure to get your application in well in advance of when you plan to take the course.

When is Applied Mathematics 40S or Pre-Calculus Mathematics 40S required?

Students can be admitted to The University of Winnipeg and can take first year business classes without high-school credit for either Applied Mathematics 40S or Pre-Calculus Mathematics 40S. However, such students must at some point take an equivalent course before they will be eligible to take certain second year business courses.

The Mathematics department of The University of Winnipeg offers Pre-Calculus for University Access MATH-0040/3 specifically for this purpose.

I have the required prerequisite for a course but I took it at another institution and WebAdvisor is not recognizing the credit.  How do I fix this?

If the transfer credit course appears on your WebAdvisor record with a grade of an "S" (for "Standing") you will have to register in person at Student Central as WebAdvisor is not recognizing the credit that you have received for the course.

If the prerequisite course does not appear in WebAdvisor at all call the Admissions Office at 786-9159 or email

I have completed BUS 3440 Contemporary Human Resource Issues when it was a 3000 level course. Now that it has changed to a 4000 level course, will the credit I receive be considered 4000 level for my Degree Requirements?

Yes, the former BUS 3440 will be considered as BUS 4440 for the purpose of fulfilling the 4000 level credit hours requirement within the 4-year BBA.


I started my degree a number of years ago and the degree requirements have changed since then.  What are the requirements for me to graduate?

Students may graduate based on either the requirements that were in effect when they started their studies at The University of Winnipeg or the current degree requirements.

Is there an Honours option for a BBA degree?

No, there is no Honours option for a BBA degree at this time.

What is the minimum average GPA required for a BBA degree?

The minimum GPA required to graduate from The University of Winnipeg with any degree is 2.0, equivalent to a "C" average.

I would like to take BUS 3110/3 Ethics in Management to fulfill my Corporate Social Responsibility requirement. Can this course also be used to fulfill the additional business requirements?

Yes, BUS 3110/3 Ethics in Management can be used towards fulfilling both the Corporate Social Responsibility as well as 3 credit hours of the Additional Business Requirements.

What about Recognition of Prior Learning (PLAR) and/or Adult Learner Services?

Many learners have acquired valuable training, skills and knowledge gained through learning experiences such as industry-based education, professional development workshops and seminars, private study and paid and/or volunteer work experience.

Do you have enough knowledge about a subject that a course may be repetitive for you?  If so, check out University of Winnipeg’s (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) PLAR - Challenge for Credit option. We will help you evaluate your prior learning, discuss your educational goals, and identify courses you may wish to challenge for credit.


  • For inquiries from prospective international students not yet enrolled at The University of Winnipeg, please contact International Admissions.   
  • For inquiries from prospective students within Canada not yet enrolled at The University of Winnipeg, please go to Student Recruitment & Institutional Relations from which you will be able to contact a recruitment officer directly.
  • For inquiries from learners not coming directly from high school with or without other post-secondary academic work please go to Adult Learner Services.   
  • For inquiries relating to the joint program with Red River College please contact the Dean's Office.

Please note, inquiries relating to receiving transfer credit for courses already taken at other institutions and/or receiving academic credit for work experience and other non-traditional learning will only be addressed once students have applied for admission to The University of Winnipeg.

If you have already applied for admission to The University of Winnipeg and require further information with regard to:

  • Receiving transfer credit from courses already taken at other institutions, please contact the Admissions Office, 204-786-9159
  • Receiving academic credit for work experience and other non-traditional learning, please go to Adult Learner Services, from which you will be able to contact someone from this area directly.

In you are already enrolled at The University of Winnipeg, and have questions specific to the Business and Administration department, such as

  • questions relating to the Co-op program, please contact Jessica Adkin (204) 982-1170
  • questions relating to specific requirements of a BBA degree program, and/or to declare your BBA degree program, please contact the Advising Assistant, (204) 258-2965

For questions about a particular Business and Administration course, please contact the instructor teaching that course.  Contact information for that individual can be obtained through the list of the course offerings for the current academic year.

For all other inquiries, please contact the Business and Administration Office Assistant, Carlene Osborne, (204) 258-2916, office 3BC18.