fb pixel

Accessibility Services (AS) & Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS)

Accessibility Services

In collaboration with students, faculty, and staff at The University of Winnipeg, Accessibility Services (AS) and Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) facilitate and promote the ongoing development of an accessible learning environment which provides students with disabilities, mental health concerns, medical conditions and temporary injuries the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of campus life. 

For an overview of information on our services, you may download a digital copy of our brochure.

Please email accessibility@uwinnipeg.ca or call us at 204.786.9771, and we will direct your question to the appropriate staff member.

AS & DHHS, AS Test/Exams office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

Location of Accessibility Services

AS and DHHS are located in room 1M35, the offices in the Northwest corner of Manitoba Hall on the main floor. The closest accessible pickup and drop-off point is the Ellice Avenue campus entrance (Lockhart Hall, which is just around the corner from our offices). View the Campus Accessibility Map.

How to Register with Accessibility Services

1. Schedule a meeting with an AS Advisor

Call us at 204.786.9771 or email accessibility@uwinnipeg.ca to make an appointment with an AS Advisor. Please leave your name, student number, phone number and email address.

If you are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, please visit the DHHS homepage.

All information is kept confidential.

2. Review available accommodations with AS Advisor

During your initial meeting, an AS Advisor will discuss with you three main areas of accommodations offered through AS: Campus Accommodations, Classroom Accommodations and Test/Exam Accommodations. Together, you and the AS Advisor will determine the accommodation needs most relevant to your current situation. The AS Advisor will be able to address any questions or concerns you may have about registering and accessing your accommodations.

Keep us informed!

Let AS staff know of any difficulties you may be having. We also need to know of any changes that take place (i.e. course changes, updates to your personal information such as telephone number or email address).

All information is kept confidential.

3. Provide AS with medical documentation to support your need for accommodations

At the end of the meeting, you will be given a Medical Documentation Request form to be completed by your health practitioner, such as a family doctor or specialist.

Your health practitioner must explain the nature of your disability, mental health concern or medical condition by filling out the Medical Documentation Request form including functional limitations and accommodations related to post-secondary.

If you have a learning disability, you can provide AS with a copy of your psycho-educational report.

If you have a temporary injury, we will require a doctor’s note stating the date of injury, nature of injury and an approximate recovery time.