International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services (IIRSS) makes available a number of services for future and current students, from those allowing students to get settled at the University of Winnipeg and within the city to those related to a students' studies.

Available services include:

In addition to these services, the IIRSS offers the following:

Academic Advising is available to help you choose and follow your own educational path, while making sure that you understand the objectives and requirements of your undergraduate degree. Assistance includes: degree planning, choosing your courses, and interpreting regulations and requirements. Drop-ins available, however appointments are recommended. Students may contact an Academic Advisor to set-up an appointment time by emailing For more general information on course selection and registration, please visit our Course Selection and Registration page. IIRSS offers Academic Advising drop-ins via Zoom every Monday and Wednesday, 10:00 am to 11:30 am. Zoom details are emailed before each drop-in session.

Transition Advising is available to international students in a variety of areas including housing, health insurance and health services, finding employment and volunteer opportunities, cultural adaptation, social integration, community and campus resources, drivers licensing, SIN cards, Income Tax, and any other matter which concerns international students. Students may book an appointment by emailing IIRSS at

Enrolment Letters are processed by IIRSS and can be requested by filling out the Request for a Letter of Enrolment Form and submitting this to Student Central along with payment ($10). These letters provide information related to student status and registration at The University of Winnipeg and are often used for visa/permit applications, driver's licensing, scholarships, family invitations, or other purposes (Request for a Letter of Enrolment Form, PDF).

Income Tax Filing for the 2020 tax year will be offered remotely during 2021. Details will be communicated by IIRSS to students via email.

The International Student Lounge (Closed temporarily due to COVID-19): Located at 491 Portage Avenue, The International Student Centre is a space for international students to hang out, study, have fun and meet other students. It is equipped with couches, computers, a television with cable t.v., a DVD player, a fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker, and a kettle. This space is available during business hours to students.

  • Students can use the computers for assignments, completing IRCC applications, checking mail, or accessing social networking sites. Students using the computers must adhere to The University of Winnipeg Acceptable Computing Use policy and other related policies apply to the use of these computers.

Library Research Consultations Meet with Librarian, Michael Dudley, for consultations on research options through The University of Winnipeg Library. He can be reached at or by phone at 204.982.1145.