Recent Publications of Faculty
Economics - Research
- Baksi, Soham (with P. Bose and D. Xiang). "Credence Goods, Misleading Labels, and Quality Differentiation." Environmental and Resource Economics, forthcoming.
- Baksi, Soham and Amrita Ray Chaudhuri. "International Trade and Environmental Cooperation among Heterogeneous Countries." In Economics of International Environmental Agreements: A Critical Approach, edited by S. Cagatay, O. Kayalca and H. Mihci, Routledge U.K., forthcoming.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Sarah Cook). “Care Economy, Welfare Reform and Gender Equality in China.” In the Handbook of Welfare in China, edited by B. Carrillo and J. Hood, forthcoming.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Song,Yueping). “Domestic Violence and Women’s Land Rights in Rural China: Findings from a National Survey in 2010" Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming.
- O'Gorman, Melanie with Jerry Buckland, “The Keeyask Hydro Dam Plan in Northern Canada: A Model for Inclusive Indigenous Development?", Canadian Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun and Walid Marrouch). "Adaptation technology and free-riding incentives in international environmental agreements," forthcoming in S. Cagatay, O. Kayalca and H. Mihci (eds.), Economics of International Environmental Agreements: A Critical Approach, Routledge U.K.
- Ta, Hai (with Vihang Errunza). "The Impact of Investability on Asset Valuation." Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming. [link]
- Cyrenne, Philippe. 2017. "Salary Inequality, Team Success, League Policies and the Superstar Effect" Contemporary Economic Policy [link]
- Pandey, Manish and James Townsend. 2017. “Prior Host-Country Work Experience and Immigrant Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from Canada”, IZA Journal of Migration, 6(1).
- Pandey, Manish (with Michael Benarroch). 2017. “The Impact of Imports and Exports on the Size and Composition of Government Expenditures”, International Journal of Economics and Finance, 9(3), 57-68.
- Baksi, Soham (with P. Bose). 2016. "Informal Sector, Regulatory Compliance, and Leakage.", Journal of Development Economics, 121: 166-176.
- Cyrenne, Philippe. "The Determinants of Dual Distribution Revisited." International Journal of the Economics of Business, Volume 23, Issue 2, 2016. [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Feng Jin and Yu Yangyang). 2016. “Relative Pay and Its Underlying Determinants for Domestic Eldercare Workers: Evidence from Shanghai China” Feminist Economics [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Li Shi and Sui Yang). 2016. “Trade Liberalization, Social Policy Development and Labor Market Outcomes of Chinese Women and Men in the Decade after China’s Accession to the World Trade Organization” UNWOMEN Discussion Paper No. 9 February 2016 for UNWOMEN’s flagship publication Progress of the World’s Women 2015-2016
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun). 2016. “Clean Technologies, Climate Change Mitigation and IEAs.” Chapter 11, The WSPC Reference on Natural Resources and Environmental Policy in the Era of Global Change, Volume 1, Game Theory. World Scientific Publishing. Editors Ana Espinola-Arredondo and Felix Munoz-Garcia.
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Walid Marrouch). 2016. "International environmental agreements: Doomed to fail or destined to succeed? A review of the literature." International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, 9: 245-319. [link]
- Cai, Wenbiao. 2015. “Structural Change Accounting with Labor Market Distortions.” Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 57: 54-64. [link]
- Cai, Wenbiao, and Manish Pandey. 2015. “The Agriculture Productivity Gap in Europe.” Economic Inquiry, 53(4): 1839-49. [link]
- Cai, Wenbiao (with B. Ravikumar and Raymond Riezman). 2015. “The Quantitative Importance of Openness in Development.” Economic Inquiry, 53(4) 1807-17. [link]
- Cyrenne, Philippe, and Manish Pandey. 2015. "Fiscal equalization, government expenditures and endogenous growth." International Tax and Public Finance 22(2): 311-329. [link]
- Dodds, Stefan and Mati Dubrovinsky. 2015. "Retail Amenities and Urban Sprawl", Journal of Regional Science, 55(2): 280-97. [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Liangshu Qi). 2015. “Unpaid Care Work, Its Interference with Paid Work, and the Earnings of Men and Women in China.” Feminist Economics, DOI:10.1080/13545701.2015.1025803 [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Xinli An). 2015. “The Gender Patterns and Value of Unpaid Care Work: Findings from China’s First Time Use Survey”, Review of Income and Wealth, 61(3): 540-60. [link]
- Grant, Hugh. 2015. W.A. Mackintosh: The Life of a Canadian Economist (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015).
- O’Gorman, Melanie. 2015. “Africa’s Missed Agricultural Revolution: a Quantitative Study of the Policy Options.” B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, 15(2): 561-602. [link]
- O’Gorman, Melanie and Manish Pandey. 2015. “Explaining low high school attainment in Northern Communities: an analysis of the Aboriginal Peoples’ Surveys.” Canadian Public Policy/Analyses de Politiques, Vol. 41 No. 4, 297-308 [link]
- Pandey, Manish (with Arash Abizadeh and Sohrab Abizadeh). 2015. “Wage Competition and the Special-Obligations Challenge to More Open Borders”. Politics, Philosophy & Economics, 14 (3):255-269. [link]
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun). 2015. "Cleaner technologies and the stability of international environmental agreements." Journal of Public Economic Theory, 17: 887–915. [link]
- Baksi, Soham. 2014. “Regional versus Multilateral Trade Liberalization, Environmental Taxation and Welfare.” Canadian Journal of Economics, 47(1): 232-49. [link]
- Cyrenne, Philippe. 2014. "Dual Distribution and the Penrose Effect" International Journal of the Economics of Business, Vol. 21, No. 1, 55-76. [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Paul Bowles and Chang Hongqin). 2014. “Rural Economic Outcomes in China after Two Decades of Policy Reform.” Review of Agrarian Studies, 4(2): 1-24. [link]
- Grant, Hugh, Manish Pandey and James Townsend. 2014. “Short Term Gain, Long-term Pain: The Privatization of hospital Laundry Services in Saskatchewan.” Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. [link]
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita. 2014. "Cross-border mergers and market segmentation." Journal of Industrial Economics, LXII (2): 229-257. [link]
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun). 2014. "Transboundary pollution and clean technologies." Resource and Energy Economics, 36(2): 601–619. [link]
- Cai, Wenbiao and Manish Pandey. 2013. “Size-Dependent Labor Regulations and Structural Transformation in India.” Economics Letters, 119(3): 272-275 [link]
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Yueping Song). 2013. “Gender and Occupational Mobility in Urban China during the Economic Transition.” Research in Labor Economics, 37: 93-122.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan (with Fenglian Du). 2013. “Women’s Labor Force Participation and Childcare Choices in Urban China during the Economic Transition.” Economic Development and Cultural Change, 62(1): 131-55. [link]
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Nan Jia). 2013. "Economic Transition and the Motherhood Wage Penalty in Urban China: Investigation Using Panel Data." Cambridge Journal of Economics, 37(4): 819-43. [link]
- Grant, Hugh and James Townsend. 2013. "Mandatory Retirement and the Employment Rights of Elderly Canadian Immigrants." Canadian Public Policy, 39(1): 135-152 [link]
- Grant, Hugh (with Jeremiah Hurley). 2013. "Unhealthy Pressure: How Physician Pay Demands Put the Squeeze on Provincial Health-Care Budgets", University of Calgary, The School of Public Policy, [link]
- Pandey, Manish and James Townsend. “Provincial Nominee Programs: An Evaluation of the Earnings and Settlement Rates of Nominees.” 2013. Canadian Public Policy, 39(4): 603-18. [link]
- Townsend, James (with David A. Green). 2013. “Drivers of Increasing Market Income Inequality: Structural Change and Policy” In Inequality and the Fading of Redistributive Politics, edited by Keith Banting and John Myles (Vancouver: UBC Press)
- Cyrenne, Phil (with Alan Chan). 2012. “High School Grades and University Performance: A Case Study” Economics of Education Review, 31(5): 524-42 [link]
- Dodds, Stefan. 2012. "Redistributive Taxation with Heterogeneous Relative Consumption Concerns." Canadian Journal of Economics, 45(1): 220-46 [link]
- Dodds, Stefan (with Chetan Dave). 2012. "Nosy Preferences, Benevolence and Efficiency." Southern Economic Journal, 78 (3): 878-94 [link]
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan and Manish Pandey. 2012. "Gender and Labor Retrenchment in Chinese State Owned Enterprises: Investigation using firm level data" China Economic Review, Vol. 23(2), pp. 385–395. [link]
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Xinli An). 2012. “The Gender Patterns and Value of Unpaid Work: Findings from China’s First Time Use Survey.” UNRISD Research Paper 2012-6 [link]
- Grant, Hugh. 2012. “The Remarkable Career of David A. Golden,” Manitoba History (Winter 2012) 67.
- Grant, Hugh. 2012. “Rent Control,” Encyclopaedia of Housing (New York: Sage, 2012).
- O'Gorman, Melanie. 2012. “Why the CCM Won’t Lose: The Roots of Single Party Dominance in Tanzania”, Journal of Contemporary African Studies, Volume 30, Issue 2, pages 313-333.
- Pandey, Manish (with Michael Benarroch). 2012. “The Relationship between Trade Openness and Government Size: Does disaggregating government expenditure matter?” Journal of Macroeconomics, 34(1): 239-52 [link]
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun). 2012. “Welfare Effect of Mergers and Multilateral Trade Liberalization.” Review of International Economics, 20: 119-133 [link]
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Jan Boone, Maria Larrain-Aylwin and Wieland Mueller). 2012. "Bertrand competition with asymmetric costs: Experimental evidence." Economics Letters, 117: 134-7 [link]
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Hongqin Chang and Fiona MacPhail). 2011. “Labor Migration and Time Use Patterns of the Left-behind Children and Elderly in Rural China.” World Development, in press
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Hongqin Chang and Fiona MacPhail). 2011. “The Feminization of Labor and the Gender Work-Time Gap in Rural China.” Feminist Economics, 17(4): 93-124
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Sarah Cook). 2011. “Harsh Choices: Chinese Women's Paid Work and Unpaid Care Responsibilities under Economic Reform.” Development and Change, 42(4): 947-966
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Gale Summerfield, Nahid Aslanbeigui and Jie Hu). 2011. “Wage Differentials, Occupational Segregation, and Gendered Creativity Perceptions in the Chinese Science and Technology Sector: Beijing and Wuhan.” Eastern Economic Journal, 37: 178-196
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Liying Li). 2011. “Economic Transition and the Gender Earnings Gap in Chinese Industry: The Role of Firm Characteristics” Contemporary Economic Policy, 29(1): 67-87
- Grant, Hugh. 2011. “An Analysis of Manitoba’s Rent Regulation Program and the Impact on the Rental Housing Market,” prepared for Manitoba Family Services and Consumer Affairs. [link]
- Pandey, Manish and James Townsend. 2011 “Quantifying the Effects of the Provincial Nominee Programs.” Canadian Public Policy, 37(4): 495-512
- Ray Chaudhuri, Amrita (with Hassan Benchekroun). 2011. "Environmental policy and stable collusion: The case of a dynamic polluting oligopoly." Journal of Economic Dynamics & Control, 35: 479-490 [link]
- Baksi, Soham (with P. Bose and L. Echazu ). 2010. “Corruption, Liberalization, and the Shadow Economy when Law Enforcers are Heterogeneous” in A. Dhar (ed.), Some Contemporary Issues in Development and Growth Economics, Allied Publishers, 2010, 252-268.
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Sarah Cook). eds. 2010. "Gender Equality and China's Economic Transition: Informal Employment and Care Provision." Beijing: Economic Science Press
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Gunseli Berik and Gale Summerfield). eds. 2010. Gender, China and the World Trade Organization, London and New York: Routledge
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Lan Liu and Xiaoying Zheng). 2010. “Parental Care and Married Women's Labor Supply: Evidence from Urban China.” Feminist Economics, 16(3): 169-192
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Paul Bowles and Hongqin Chang). 2010. "Managing Liberalization and Globalization in Rural China: Trends in Rural Labour Allocation, Income and Inequality." Global Labour Journal: 1 (1): 32-55
- Grant, Hugh (with James Townsend). 2010. “Poverty among Elderly Canadian Immigrants", in Immigrant Seniors, edited by D. Durst (Calgary: Detselig, 2010)
- Manish Pandey and James Townsend (with Tom Carter). 2010. “The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program: Attraction, Integration and Retention of Immigrants.” Institute for Research on Public Policy (IRPP) Research Study No. 10
- O'Gorman, Melanie and Manish Pandey. 2010. “Cross-Country Disparity in Agricultural Productivity: Quantifying the Role of Modern Seed Adoption.” Journal of Development Studies, 46(10): 1767-1785
- O'Gorman, Melanie. 2010. “Racial Earnings Inequality in South Africa: A Quantitative Assessment of the Policy Options”, Journal of Policy Modeling, Volume 32, Issue 6, pages 703-718.
- O'Gorman, Melanie. 2010. “Education Finance and the Persistence of Racial Earnings Inequality in the Post-Brown Era”, Economics of Education Review, Volume 29, Issue 4, pages 526-542.
- Abizadeh, Sohrab and Manish Pandey. 2009. “Trade Openness, Structural Change and Total Factor Productivity.” International Economic Journal, 23(4): 545-560
- Baksi, Soham and Manish Pandey (with Pinaki Bose). 2009. “The Impact of Liberalization on Bureaucratic Corruption.” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 72(1): 214-224
- Baksi, Soham (with N.V. Long). 2009 “Endogenous Consumer Participation and the Recycling Problem.” Australian Economic Papers, 48(4): 281-295. [link]
- Baksi, Soham and Amrita Ray Chaudhuri. 2009. “On trade liberalization and transboundary pollution” Economics Bulletin, 29: 2605-12 [link]
- Cyrenne, Phil. 2009. “Modelling Professional Sports Leagues: An Industrial Organization Approach.” Review of Industrial Organization, 34: 193-215 [link]
- Cyrenne, Phil and Hugh Grant. 2009. “University Decision Making and Prestige: An Empirical Study”, Economics of Education Review, 28 (2): 237-248 [link]
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Gunseli Berik and Gale Summerfield). eds. 2009. China's Transformation and Feminist Economics. Beijing: Economic Science Press.
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan and Manish Pandey. 2009. “Comparison of Manufacturing Productivity between India and China: The Role of Institutional Change.” China Economic Review, 20(4): 754-766
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Lixin Xu). 2009. “Labor Restructuring in China: Toward A Functioning Labor Market.” Journal of Comparative Economics, 37(2): 287-305
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan, (with Ding Sai and Shi Li). 2009. “Employment and Earnings of Married Women and Family Income Inequality during China's Economic Transition.” Feminist Economics, 15(3): 163-190
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Fenglian Du). 2009. “Why Do Women Have Longer Durations of Unemployment than Men in Post-Restructuring Urban China?” Cambridge Journal of Economics, 33(2): 233-252
- Dong, Xiao-Yuan (with Liqin Zhang). 2009. “Economic Transition and Gender Differentials in Wages and Productivity: Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Enterprises.” Journal of Development Economics, 88(1): 144-156
- Pandey, Manish (with John Whalley). 2009. “Social Networks and Trade Liberalization.” Applied Economics Letters, 16: 1747-1749
Also, see Faculty.