fb pixel

Frequently Asked Questions

How long are the exchange programs?

They vary from one month, to one term, to as long as one year.

Who can participate in these opportunities?

Students registered in any undergraduate program of studies at The University of Winnipeg are eligible to participate.  Some exchange programs are limited to one discipline, while others are open to all undergraduate students.  Selection of host institution may depend on the student's department or field of study.

What do I need to apply?

A good academic record, an application form, two letters of reference recommending you to the exchange program and a brief, personal, written statement are required.

Check out the Outbound Exchange Information FAQ sheet for more information.

When can I study abroad?

Students can apply for an exchange opportunity after completing a minimum of 24 credits hours of your program.  If you are currently in your first year completing 24 credit hours, email exchange@uwinnipeg.ca for more information as you may still be eligible.

During the exchange, you are still a student of The University of Winnipeg and you will be expected to return, complete your studies here, and then graduate.  Please be aware that different universities have varying semester periods throughout the year and may not be the same as those at The University of Winnipeg.

What language skills are required?

The medium of instruction in some of our exchange partner institutions is English.  However, at host universities in which the language of instruction is not English, you will be required to be proficient in the language of instruction, as outlined by the host university.  Some exchange programs offer basic introductory language courses.  In all cases, you should have an understanding of the culture and be able to handle the linguistic demands of daily living and classes comfortably.

Are there exchange programs for graduate students?

Yes! Please refer to the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for more information.

How do I finance my studies abroad?

The majority of exchange programs specify that students pay tuition for four (4) full courses/term and related fees at The University of Winnipeg and pay no tuition at the host institution.  You will also be responsible for other expenses such as health insurance, textbooks, accommodations, and living expenses. You may apply for student loans to cover your expenses. Students are eligible to apply for a government student loan (i.e. Manitoba Student Aid) and can apply for In-Course Awards. Please also visit our Students Leading Students tab for information on a new funding opportunity from the Government of Canada called Global Skills Opportunity!

The country I want is not listed

Interested in studying abroad at a university that is not part of our exchange network? As long as the institution is recognized by UWinnipeg and you are admitted, you may take courses as a visiting student. Before you go:

You must get permission from UWinnipeg to take courses and fill out a Letter of Permission

  • You must apply for Admission to the school abroad and be accepted
  • Make sure the courses you select will be transferable to your UWinnipeg degree
  • While at the other school, you do not maintain your UWinnipeg student status. Thus all tuition fees are paid there and you are not eligible for UWinnipeg awards.