Q: When selecting a student category on the online application it is only allowing me to choose from “I want to take a few classes on an occasional basis” or “I am not seeking a degree”.

You need to select the May – August term to apply for the MiM. If you select other terms, you are only given the two options occasional status and not seeking a degree.

Q: What documents do I need to submit with my application?

You will need to submit transcripts, CV/resume, writing sample, contact information for your references, and English language testing scores (if applicable). Please see our checklist for a full list.

Q: I don’t have an undergraduate degree (3 Year or 4 Year) in the area of business. Would I still qualify?

Yes, however we would look for previous business/management work experience documented in your CV/resume. For example, undergraduate degrees in Engineering, Computer Science, Science, Economics, etc. combined with on the job experience (5+ years) managing people and/or resources of an organization would be considered.

Q: Can I still apply if I do not have a completed undergraduate degree?

You may qualify without an undergraduate degree. If you have a significant amount of experience (10-15+ years) at progressive levels in an organization, with business/management responsibilities as part of your role (previous and/or current), we would encourage you to apply. Be sure to include in your CV/resume a detailed account of your previous business/management experience.

Q: What kind of writing sample is appropriate?

There are two opportunities to showcase your writing skills. The first are your responses to two short open ended questions within the application itself (500 words or less). The second opportunity is to upload a document that you have written. Examples of an appropriate type of document include, but is not limited to a journal article, a written report (something you have created for work purposes that can be shared), an opinion piece for a local newspaper/newsletter, or a short essay on a topic of your choice.

Q: What kind of references? Business or Academic?

We require two references. They can be one of each type or two Business references or two Academic references.  Depending on your career and academic trajectory, at least one academic reference is preferred (if you are in a position to procure it). Remember, always pick a referee who can accurately speak to your ability.

A link will be provided for your referee to complete on your behalf directly to the University of Winnipeg.

Q: What kind of Industry Experience do I need to have?

We will accept a wide variety of industry experiences. What we look for is experience in managing people and/or resources of an organization, preferably at progressive levels. It can be private sector, public sector and/or not-for-profit.

Q: What is the difference between an MBA and an MiM Degree?

Both are graduate level degrees in the discipline of Business. Typically, an MBA provides a general and broad exposure to the topics within the discipline of Business and is usually a 2-year degree (Executive programs excepted). MiM is a growing choice for individuals and employers who want a 1-year graduate degree in Business with a specialization. Our MiM specializes in technology, innovation and operations management. If you are interested in managing innovation, resources and infrastructure (including people) of an organization, and learn about the management of innovation and the growing importance of technology in a digital economy, this may be the program for you.

Q: Do I need a language test score to get into MiM?

The language of instruction at The University of Winnipeg is English. Students must have a level of ability in English that allows them to participate in all aspects of university study, including lectures, reading, writing and discussion. If English is not the student’s first/primary language and they are not from an English Exempt Country, they must provide supporting documentation to show they meet the language requirement.

Please review the English Language Requirement Policy, https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/future-student/docs/English-language-requirements-policy.pdf.

Q: Do I need to write the GRE, GMAT or LSAT tests to get into the MiM?

The University of Winnipeg does not require the GRE, GMAT or LSAT for admission to the MiM.

Q: Do I qualify for a work Visa as an international student while studying?

Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. However, some distance learning courses include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., 2 week boot camp, this is held twice during the MiM). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

To find out if you qualify for an Open Work Permit, please visit the Government of Canada webpage, https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177.

For those that do qualify for a work permit, we do not recommend that you work more than part-time hours. The program is intensive and working full time hours while enrolled full time would not be feasible.

Q: Do I qualify for a Post Graduate Work Permit?

With the majority of this program being done online, international students are not eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit after the completion of the MiM.

Q: Can I take a leave of absence once I start the program?

It is possible. Situations are discussed in-depth on a case-by-case basis with the Program Coordinator, providing the student has a satisfactory track record of performance in the courses they have taken so far in the MiM.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)