fb pixel

Naomi Happychuk

Naomi Happychuk

Prior to my enrollment in this program, I completed two undergrads at The University of Winnipeg and Menno Simons College. I first acquired a 4 year BSc in Environmental Science in 2008, and then upon realizing that my true passion was connecting land issues with people, I undertook a second undergrad in International Development, achieving an Honours BA in 2011. In this second degree, I undertook a three month practicum of international volunteer work experience. For this I chose to work in a rural village in Vietnam at a research center for aquaculture, where I joined the staff in a project aimed at helping build subsistence for poor rural farmers, through integrated aquaculture programs. With this I got the opportunity to visit numerous rural communities in the country and in many ways shared in a “way of life” with local people. Additional to this, I have done lots of travelling on my own, in Central-South America, South Asia, and around the Mediterranean, gaining the opportunity to meet a variety of different people from different backgrounds, learning from their experiences and perspectives. I hope to pursue issues of land management and social well-being, particularly with how it pertains to Indigenous People globally, as well as in Canada. I am extremely grateful to be a part of this program to expand my knowledge and share in my passion.