Student FAQ Fall 2021/Winter 2022

COVID-19 FAQ (Updated: June 7, 2020)

COVID-19 Updates and FAQ text on red background

Will Fall 2021 Term classes be online or in-person?

While we are optimistic about in-person classes and greater personal interaction, our decisions will be aligned with public health guidance. Our plans for Fall Term cannot be finalized without further clarity on the public health situation. We expect to know more shortly and will share additional details as soon as we can.

We are gearing up to start course registration in early July. The timetable will be posted on WebAdvisor.

I'm waitlisted for a course. How do I know whether I got into the course?

When a spot becomes available in a course, the first person on the waitlist is sent an email to their UWinnipeg Webmail account notifying them that they have days to claim the reserved seat by registering in the course. This process continues after classes have started so, if you are still on a waitlist for your preferred course section, you should continue to check your webmail account daily for permission to register off of the waitlist.

NOTE: Professors will not be handing out permission slips anymore.

If a space becomes available during the Course Add/Drop Period, you will receive an email letting you know that you can register through WebAdvisor. The Drop Waitlist Button will have changed to a Register button. Register immediately (or drop yourself from that waitlist using Manage My Waitlist).

Only students registered in a course on WebAdvisor will have access to the course materials and/or (recorded) lectures on Nexus.

Nexus access will be given on the next business day after registering. Students waitlisted for a course will NOT have Nexus access to it. Being a waitlist for a course does not mean that you will be given permission to register in it. Students are only admitted from the waitlist if there is space available in the course before the end of the Add/Drop Period.

How do I get a student card? 

Returning students: Continue to use the student card you already have.

New students: Email a photo which meets The University of Winnipeg’s student card criteria to from your University webmail account. The email should include your full name and student number. Cards will be made using the photo you provide. Deadlines, designated pick-up times, and details can be found on Student Central's website. Physical distancing protocols will be in place when you pick up your student card on campus. 

Will there be a U-Pass this year?

The UWSA did not offer the UPass in the fall 2020 or winter 2021 terms. Instead, UWSA is offering a Transit Subsidy.  

Visit the awards page for information on how to apply for the Winter UWSA Transit Subsidy.

Read the UWSA announcement for more information. 

What supports are available if I am having difficulty with my own motivation and studying?

Student Services is offering information and supports remotely. Please contact us at:

What supports are available for graduate students?

Please refer to the COVID-19 Graduate Student Supports page for information about remote learning, thesis examinations, library pick-up services, post-graduate work permits, and more.

COVID-19 is causing me anxiety. Where do I turn?

The Anxiety Disorders Association of Manitoba (ADAM) has established an anxiety support line for anyone seeking support during this challenging time.  You can call their support line at 204.925.0040.  The line will be checked regularly between the hours of 9:00 am and 9:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on weekends.  If you leave your name, phone number or email address, an ADAM representative will get in touch with you within a short period of time. Visit their website for more information.  

Manitobans also have access to a new digital therapy program, AbilitiCBT, to help with anxiety symptoms related to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Will there be any fee reductions while classes are online?

The majority of classes were delivered remotely in the Fall 2020/Winter 2021 terms. We waived the online course fee for fall 2020 and winter 2021 terms, as we recognize that this is a very difficult time for everyone, and are doing this to support our students as they pursue their studies. The fitness centre fee will be waived for the fall/winter terms. This fee provides a membership to the fitness centre, which is currently closed.


When can I get access to my locker? 

Locker rental periods originally scheduled to end April 21, 2020 will be extended until further notice as a result of the campus closure. If you would like to clear out your locker, please contact Student Central at with a date and time that you would like to come to campus. Lockers can be cleared out 8:30-4:30 Monday-Friday. Please include your full name, student number, and locker number in the email. Students attending labs in the Richardson College for Science and the Environment will be able to use day lockers during their time in class. Once your class period is over, you will need to remove all of your belongings.

Will in-person Student Services be available? 

Student Services is presently working remotely and will provide in-person services when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact us for assistance as we are here to help you.

Once the phased re-opening plan is complete, more information will be provided, so watch this space for updates.

Will faculty members and department assistants be on working campus? 

Faculty and Department Assistants are presently working remotely and will provide in-person services when it is safe to do so. During Fall Term, we will have campus ambassadors available in designated buildings to point you in the right direction and answer your questions while you are on campus. Look for staff wearing white shirts with The University of Winnipeg Logo.

Will we have access to the Elders-in-Residence?

Our elderly populations are the most susceptible and at-risk for contracting the COVID-19 virus.  ASSC has decided to postpone their return to campus until it is safe for Elders, students, and staff to return. Access to Elders will be available via remote appointment only. For more information or to book an appointment with an Elder, contact Jeff Booth at or 204-786-9818.

Will the ASSC Student Lounge be available?

With social distancing in affect, campus closure, and Fall term classes available online only, the student lounge will not be available to students until further notice.

Will the ASSC still host cultural and social activities?

All cultural and social activities are postponed until further notice.

Will there be any arrangements made for students who do not have access to a computer or printer?

Yes. All registered students; including undergraduate, graduate, PACE, ELP and Collegiate students are eligible to book space at a computer work-station. Students will be allowed to book up to two sessions per week. This may change depending on demand for space. Please see our On-campus Learning FAQ for information about studying on campus.

While not endorsed by the University of Winnipeg, Computers for Schools Manitoba – a non-profit organization that provides free or low-cost refurbished desktop computers to post-secondary students – might be a helpful external resource. 


Can I choose how my final grade will appear on my GPA?

Please vsit the Final Grade Options FAQ for more information.

What will happen with my degree progression if I need courses that can't be offered this year due to the current situation?

Courses are expected to be offered but will be in alternate modes of delivery. Degree progression should not be significantly affected.

Will the University write me a support letter in cases where a course has been postponed or changed to online due to COVID?

Yes. Documentation confirming changes to course offerings and/or changes in delivery mode will be made available upon request.

When can I get a hard copy of my transcript?

The Student Records Office is continuing to issue official transcripts electronically within our standard processing time of five business days. In special cases and during busy periods, the time may be seven to 10 business days.

Students can request, at the time of ordering, an official printed transcript. Please allow two to four weeks for physical copies to be produced.