University of Winnipeg | 50 Years Search

Theological Building and Library (Bryce Hall)


SEPTEMBER 26, 1951: As a result of the Building Fund started by Dr. Graham, another much-needed expansion was made to house the library and the Theology department.  A two-storey brick building with a façade of Tyndall limestone, it was designed by the architect Col. J. N. Simmons and built at a total cost of $295,372.23.  Its cornerstone had been laid November 1st, 1950.  The King Memorial Window was finally moved from its original setting in the old Manitoba College Convocation Hall, and placed on a west wall above a staircase where it catches the evening sun.  The building’s design also included a chapel, which was dedicated to Dr. John Mackay: a campus chapel had been part of the College’s plans for expansion for many years.

< Back to Milestones