University of Winnipeg | 50 Years Search

Ashdown & Manitoba Halls opened


DECEMBER 4 1959: To meet the immense growth in registration, these two adjacent buildings were constructed as the Arts and Science Building and the Extension to the Library.  The sod was turned September 11th, 1958.  Room was included for lecture halls and laboratories, extensions to the library in the basement, and other provisions such as a coffee shop and student lounge. As the new Arts and Science Building and Extension to the Library were officially opened, Dr. Lockhart also announced changes to the names of several buildings to honour the historical context of their creation.  The 1896 sandstone building was officially titled Wesley Hall, and the new Arts and Science Building titled Manitoba Hall, in memory of United College’s founding colleges.  The other recently constructed building was named Ashdown Hall, after the Winnipeg entrepreneur J.H. Ashdown who was Chairman of the Wesley College Board from 1907-1924.  And finally, the Theological Building and Library was re-named George Bryce Hall after the first instructor of Manitoba College in 1871, without whom the whole institution would not exist.

< Back to Milestones