Income Tax

Information for All Students

Income Taxes in Canada
In Canada, the Income Tax Year runs from January to December and we file income taxes for the previous year (i.e. in 2019, we file for 2018 taxes).The deadline to file income taxes is April 30th of each year. Individuals must keep their tax information for a minimum of six (6) years. The Canada Revenue Agency (the government agency responsible for taxes) can request tax documents at any time.

Who can submit an income tax return?
You can file for income taxes if you were in Canada on December 31st of the tax year and are considered a resident of Canada. For the purposes of taxes, most international students are considered “residents”. If you are unsure, please contact IIRSS.

You must file Income taxes if you:

  • Had paid employment during the tax year
  • Received scholarships, bursaries, or fellowship funding in the tax year

What is the benefit of filing for income taxes?
Even if you did not receive scholarships or have paid employment, you will still qualify for income tax credits which may mean that you will receive an income tax refund. You can also apply for a GST credit when filing income taxes. You qualify for GST if you are over 19 years old and make an income of less than $42,641.00 (single person). NOTE: If you are married or have a common-law partner, or a child, the income level changes). More information:

How can I get help filing my income taxes? Every year, IIRSS offers a free workshop to help students to file their income taxes.

Our 2020 income tax workshop is closed until further notice, due to the Covid-19 situation. Please continue to monitor your email and the university website for updates.

What do you need to file for income taxes?
To file for income taxes, you will need the following:

  1. A social insurance number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  2. Tax Receipts (see below)
Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Most international students are now eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number. Please see our Employment page for more information.

Applying for an Individual Tax Number (ITN)
Students who are not eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number, must apply for an Individual Tax Number. Please contact ISS for more information.

Tax Receipts
The following are the most common tax receipts for international students. Usually the deadline to receive these documents is the end of February.

  • T2202A – Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate
  • Rent Statement/Receipt
  • T4- Statement of Remuneration Paid (Employment)
  • T4A- Scholarships, Bursaries, Fellowships, or Research Grants
  • Medical Expenses


The information collected from the students is for the sole purpose of filing income taxes with the CRA. This information will not be used for any other purpose other than the stated purpose.