Graduate Student Registration and Orientation Guide

Graduate Studies

Starting a graduate program is a very exciting moment in your lives. The current pandemic presents us all with some unprecedented challenges, but, at the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the University of Winnipeg, we’re committed to working with you to move forward in the best way possible.

We’ve put together this Graduate Student Registration and Orientation Guide to guide you through the next steps of registration and planning and to give you links to the many resources available to support you on and off campus. If you can’t find an answer to your question in these materials, please contact us at

International Students

International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services (IIRSS) provides support for you during your studies at UWinnipeg. Available supports include: 

  • Orientation for international students
  • Information on Visa and Study Permits; immigration advising
  • Health insurance
  • Student Mentor Program
  • Social and cultural events
  • Electronic newsletter
  • Special interest workshops
  • English conversation circles
  • International Tutor Program  

For more information including updates to the Airport Reception Service, please visit: the International, Immigrant, and Refugee Student Services.

For updated information regarding COVID-19: International Student COVID-19 FAQ

For more information related to COVID-19, please visit the Province of Manitoba and Government of Canada websites.

Apply for a Study Permit

Unless you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you will need a valid post-secondary study permit to attend UW for longer than six months. Obtaining a permit can take several months, so submit your application as soon as you accept your UW offer.

For more information about study permits, please refer to and for up to date information, please visit: Immigration Canada

As a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), the UW is issued the DLI number O19147986012. (Please note that the number starts with the letter “O” and not zero.)  You may be asked by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to provide UW’s DLI number when you apply for a permit or a visa.

Students are advised to apply online for their study permit/visa, as paper applications could delay the process.

For more information on applying for a study permit and temporary resident visa (outside of Canada), please visit: Visas & Study Permits.

Log-in to WebAdvisor

An official email has been sent to you with a username and temporary password, allowing you access to WebAdvisor. WebAdvisor is the online system that students access to get information on their student record. With this one system, you have access to almost everything you need to know! Some of the functions you can access include:

  • Check course section offering
  • View tuition and other fees
  • Make online payments
  • View grades
  • view tax receipts 

For more information, please visit: Use Webadvisor (online registration)

Register for Courses – Student Planning

Registration for graduate program will be open on July 3, 2020.

Student Planning is a new web-based, self-service tool which allows you to register for courses from an interactive timetable view. This tool helps you plan your courses in keeping with your degree and stream/major requirements and lets you create a multi-year plan of all your courses, based on pre-requisites and when courses are typically offered. For your registration, please use the Student Planning tool on the WebAdvisor.   

Once the University releases the course offerings for a Term(s), you can plan the specific sections you want to take in the interactive timetable. Obtain permission from your faculty advisor online and then click “Register” either in Student Planning or on your mobile device. The interactive view of the timetable lets you see how many students have already registered for a course. This allows you to plan for alternate courses if a course is already full.

You can download the Ellucian GO mobile app, search for “The University of Winnipeg”, and register for the courses approved by your advisor.

For more information, please visit: Student Planning FAQ

Fall Courses - Alternate Delivery

All campus buildings are closed until further notice. Access will be limited to those who are delivering essential services, such as security, physical plant, food services and residence staff. 

With a few exceptions, courses in Graduate Studies will not be offered through in-person classes in Fall term. All academic instruction and evaluation will continue through alternate delivery, such as through the learning management system Nexus, or by other means. For more information about the details of delivery in your program, please contact your Graduate Program Committee Chair. 

For more information on remote learning: Remote Learning FAQ.

For more information on Fall Classes, please visit: Student FAQ and/or International Student FAQ

Western Dean's Agreement: UWinnipeg Course Catalogue

The University of Winnipeg courses listed in the PDF below are available to students wishing to register through the Western Dean’s Agreement for Fall term 2020. The normal terms and regulations for using the WDA mechanism obtain. Please see the WDA Authorization and Course Registration Form for details. Further questions can be directed to Dagmawit Habtemariam at

WDA Course Catalogue

Plan your Finances

To succeed at the University of Winnipeg, you need to understand your financial requirements, and plan accordingly. Your expenses will include these items:

  1. Tuition (Domestic; International)
  2. Incidental fees
  3. UWSA Health Insurance coverage
  4. Textbooks and Supplies
  5. Housing and meals
  6. Miscellaneous allowance

For the latest updates on tuition and incidental fees, as well as due dates for fees, please refer to: Graduate Studies Fees.

Student Fees COVID-19 FAQ

You can use the following online cost calculators to get an idea of what studying at UW will cost:

Please be advised that you should budget at least $10,000 for living costs per year.

The University of Winnipeg has partnered with peerTransfer/(flywire) to offer an innovative and streamlined way to transfer international student payments.

Understand Your Awards and Scholarships

Graduate program tuition fees are charged to students at the beginning of each term. If you have received an award or awards, these will be applied to your outstanding balance. If an award creates a credit balance on your student account, a refund cheque will be sent to you during the term (in October, February, and May).

Awards are processed in installments as follows:

  • If your awards total $4,999.99 or less, they will be processed once at the beginning of your first term.
  • If your awards total between $5,000.00 and $14,999.99, they will be processed in two installments – 50% in the first term and 50% in the following term. These will often be Fall and Winter terms, but other patterns may also occur.
  • If your awards total $15,000 or more, they will be processed in three installments - 34% in the first term, 33% in second term and 33% in the final term.

Note: We advise that you are prepared to cover your living expenses for two months each term, while we process your awards for the term.

For more information on available Awards and Scholarships, please visit: Funding.

Housing and Living Essentials

Living in residence at UWinnipeg is a unique opportunity and a very important part of the student experience. You will meet wonderful people, have opportunities to participate in residence events, and build lasting friendships. We offer several student residence options:

  • Renovated houses
  • Single and double dorms
  • Furnished and unfurnished bachelor and one-bedroom apartment suites
  • Family Housing

All housing options include meal plan choices, and are within five minutes of campus. Apply as soon as possible, as space is limited. For more information on Housing, please refer to: Campus Living.

For updated information regarding COVID-19:Campus Living Living COVID-19 FAQ

Living Essentials:

Buying a new phone – Compare rates and plans before you purchase

Banking – Scotia, CIBC, RBC, and TD Canada Trust are popular with the international students. Research before you sign up for the plan and be sure to inquire about student banking fees to get the best service plan. All these banks will a downtown branch, which can be found on this map.

Groceries – A sure-fire way to reduce your living expenses is to avoid eating out whenever possible. Try to cook healthy affordable meals and this should help you cut some expenses. You may hate your own cooking in the beginning, but gradually, this may change as you master some recipes. Who knows, you may even begin to invite your new friends to dinner. Safeway, Superstore, Dino’s East and West Indian Food are some names you can Google for your grocery needs.

Electronics – There may be some student deals in August, September. Check out Staples, Best Buy or The Source for laptops, TV, video games and all.

Housewares and furniture – Winnipeg has Ikea, Walmart, Jysk and other affordable stores to stock your new apartment with the essentials to make it home. 

Determine Your Health Insurance Coverage

Depending on your student type and the length of your studies, you will be covered by different health insurance plans. To determine your health coverage and amount, please see: Health Insurance.

Please note that Manitoba Blue Cross and Greenshield coverage are mandatory for all international University of Winnipeg students. Students will not be able to opt out.

If you are an international student, we encourage you to contact International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services (IIRSS) directly to confirm coverage and/or answer any health insurance related questions.

Campus Services:

As a student at The University of Winnipeg, you have access to a variety of student services to support you in your studies. Please visit Student Services for more information. 

Below are a few of the services offered through the University of Winnipeg.


Please visit the Campus Store Website for special messages and further updates.


All in-person library services have been moved to alternate delivery and the physical library facility is now closed. Access to digital resources remains unaffected, and staff are working remotely to delivery most services online. Visit our Service Update Page to find out how the library is delivering services and for a complete list of the resources that are currently available. 

Campus Recreation

Please visit the Recreation Services notice to students, faculty, staff and public users of their facility for full details.


In collaboration with the students, faculty, and staff at The University of Winnipeg, Accessibility Services (AS) and Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services (DHoHS) facilitate and promote the ongoing development of an accessible learning environment which provides students with disabilities or medical conditions the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of campus life.

Contact Accessibility Services at 786.9771 or  to discuss academic accommodation arrangements.

Awards and Financial Aid

Financial assistance administered by the Awards & Financial Aid Office supports the access and excellence mandate of The University of Winnipeg through a comprehensive program of scholarships, awards, prizes and bursaries.

Online/phone appointments can be made by emailing or calling 204-786-9459. They will be monitoring messages between 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Visit the Awards website for info on open applications and external awards. 

Student Wellness

The University of Winnipeg Student Counselling Services is available to provide support and counselling to students. University counselors are working off site, but are available to provide telephone support. Please email or call 204.988.7611 to arrange a telephone meeting.

The Anxiety Disorders Association of Manitoba (ADAM) has established an anxiety support line for anyone seeking support during this challenging time. You can call their support line at 204.925.0040. The line will be checked regularly between the hours of 9:00 am and 9:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on weekends. If you leave your name, phone number or email address, an ADAM representative will get in touch with you within a short period of time. Visit their website for more information.

For more up to date information, please visit: Health and Safety FAQ