Registration/Withdrawal Information

Graduate Studies

UWinnipeg Students
Registration & Withdrawal Dates
Student ID Card Information
Study Permit Information
UWSA Health Plan Information

Registration Procedure:

Registration forms are available on the forms page. You must meet with your program advisor to discuss your course selection. Your registration form must be signed accordingly prior to submission of your registration form - without his/her signatures, your registration will not be processed and will be returned to the department.

In person registration is recommended but mailed / faxed registration forms will also be accepted as long as the registration form has appropriate signatures. If you live outside of Manitoba and are unable to meet with your program advisor in person, please consult with them via phone or email regarding your course selection.

Please submit your completed registration form to Student Central (1st Floor Rice Building), 489 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2E9 after which they will be processed in sequential order. If you have questions about your registration, please contact Eric Benson, Coordinator, Student Records; Graduate Studies at 204.786.9466 Room 1RI26.

It is strongly recommended that you do not wait until the final day to register. Please allow sufficient time for your form(s) to be processed to ensure you are registered properly in your course(s) of choice. Reminder: Directed Study/Project courses must first be approved by the department.

Students in the Marriage and Family program and the Theology program will have their course options emailed to them by the program and will fill out the registration forms found on the forms page.

The registration form for the Faculty of Graduate Studies of The University of Manitoba is used for all Joint Masters Programs. The form must be completed and signed by the Chair of the Joint Discipline Committee and returned by mail or in person to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at UManitoba.

Thesis Writing Term (TWT) Information (excluding Theology & Marriage and Family Therapy)
If additional time is required upon completion of your allotted time to complete your degree, you may apply for a TWT (if Thesis Based Program). The “Thesis Writing Form” must be completed and submitted accordingly by dates on the form. There are no fees applied to your account during this TWT and it's not part of your “Continuance Term(s)”.

Continuance Term
(CT) Information (excluding Theology & Marriage and Family Therapy)
If you require additional time to complete your degree beyond the “Thesis Writing Term” (if applicable), a Continuance Term is available and is in addition to your previous academic year(s). If you are requesting a Continuance Term, the continuance form must be completed, submitted, and paid accordingly by dates on the form or late fees will be applied. See the form for more information about CT.

Course Selection
/ Username & Password / Email & Printing:
You may view your course sections by visiting WebAdvisor. If you already have a username/password, you may “Log In” directly (to view only - cannot register via WebAdvisor). If you do not have a username/password, you can “Log In” as a “Guest”. If you have questions about the sections you are viewing, please direct them to the specific department in question.

Once admitted, you will receive a letter signed by Colin Russell, University Registrar, containing your personal username and password. This information is required to access your University email and printing account. Please contact Dagmawit Habtemariam, Graduate Studies Enrolment and Budget Officer, at 204.786.9309 if you have not yet received this letter or require another copy.

Registration Dates/Times - 2017/2018 Academic Year:

Fall, Fall/Winter, and Winter Terms

All Graduate Study Programs:
Registration Dates: July 1 - August 15, 2017
Winter term registration continues through January 3, 2018
Graduate Programs:
Registration Times: Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Course Change Period: Fall & Fall/Winter Terms: September 1 - 18, 2017 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Winter term Course Change Period, January 4 - 17, 2018
Registrations processed after the course change
period will incur applicable late registration fees 

Spring/Summer Term

All Graduate Study Programs (excluding MFT):
Registration in Spring/Summer courses begins March 1st of each year and must be completed by the first day of course commencement or late registration fees will be applied. See below for Directed Study/Project and 1, 2, and 3 week Intensive course registration dates.
Registration in MFT Programs: February 1 - March 31, 2018

Registration in Directed Study/Project courses in all Grad Study Programs in any term must be completed by the first day of course commencement or late registration fees will be applied.

Registration in 1, 2 or 3 week intensive courses in all Grad Study Programs in any term must be completed three (3) weeks prior to course commencement or late registration fees (will be applied.

Registration in Certificate in Theology courses must be completed by the first day of course commencement or late registration fees will be applied (unless a 1, 2, or 3 week intensive - then said rules apply).

For courses that do not fall into one of the categories listed above, please contact
Eric Benson, Coordinator, Student Records; Graduate Studies at 204.786.9466, Room 1RI26.

Withdrawing from Courses or Requesting a Course Change

All Graduate Students must complete a Withdrawal/Course Change Form, have it approved accordingly, then submit to Student Central.

2017/2018 Final Dates to Withdraw without Academic Penalty:

Courses beginning September and ending November/December – November 10, 2017

Courses beginning in September and ending in March/April – February 14, 2018

Courses beginning in January and ending March/April – March 14, 2018

All other course that do not follow the above (ie: Directed Study/Project, SPE, Spring/Summer Term) – contact Eric Benson, Office of the Registrar

NOTE: All fees for "Program" based Masters programs are 100% non-refundable if "Program" withdrawal occurs AFTER the add/drop date of the first term of acceptance.

Student ID card:

You will require a University of Winnipeg Student ID card in order to access the Library, purchase bus passes at a student rate as well as other access. You may pick up this card from Student Central, 1st floor, Rice Building - 489 Portage Avenue . Hours of Operation: Monday - Thursday, 8:15 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. You may contact Student Central by phone 204.779.UWIN (8496), or by fax 204.783.4996.

International Students New Procedure - Study Permit Required (effective May 30, 2012):

The Government of Canada requires students who are neither citizens nor permanent residents to obtain a Study Permit to study in Canada. Effective immediately, The University of Winnipeg requires an up-to-date record of your Study Permit to ensure your eligibility to study in Canada at The University of Winnipeg.

All registered international students at The University of Winnipeg must present their original Study Permit to Eric Benson, Coordinator, Student Records; Graduate Studies 204.786.9466 Room 1RI26. Current records of this information is required to ensure your eligibility to study in Canada at the University of Winnipeg. Registrations may not be processed until this document has been submitted.

It is important to renew your Study Permit well before it expires to ensure your continued eligibility. Any renewed Study Permit must be presented to Eric Benson in order to update the student record.

UWSA Health Plan:

The University of Winnipeg Student Association (UWSA) Health Plan is available upon request. There is both single and family coverage available. If you wish to opt-in, you must complete a UWSA Health Plan application form available from the UWSA office. All students can extend their UWSA health coverage to their spouse and/or dependents. For more information about the UWSA Health Plan, please contact Tiffani Sawatzky at or by phone 204.786.9992.