COVID-19 Graduate Student Supports and FAQ

Graduate Studies

The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) staff are currently working from home and will continue to work for you as best as possible under these circumstances. Your requests will be addressed based on priority and time-sensitivity. Thank you for your patience. Please visit here for contact information. 

For Student Supports and Resources, please visit here for information.

The University continues to follow the advice of the Public Health Agency of Canada and Manitoba Health as they monitor, gather information, assess risk and recommend evidence-based approaches for health care providers and precautions for returning travelers.

Manitoba’s response aligns with that recommended by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and being implemented by most Canadian provinces.

If you have concerns about contracting COVID-19, you may wish to access the Manitoba COVID-19 screening tool posted online by Shared Health Manitoba. 

For more information, please visit the Province of Manitoba and Government of Canada websites. These sites are being updated regularly with up-to-date, accurate information.  

(Updated July 27th, 2021)

Below is a list of Graduate Student Supports and FAQ

On Campus Study and Computer Space Reservation Request

The online form to book space for Fall 2021 will open on August 16, 2021.

Campus workstations are currently only available to students who do not have reliable internet or a quiet space to study, students who need accessibility software on their computer or have other exceptional circumstances preventing them from studying at home, and students who have a synchronous on line course right after an in-person course.

You will just need to apply to have a workstation appointment. Please visit On-Campus Learning FAQ and the link to the application form to schedule your time.

Bookins will open on August 16, 2021 for the fall term.

Students can book two 4-hour sessions or a maximum of 8 hours per week. Bookings will be done on a first come, first served basis. Computers with accessible software are available.

Fall Course Delivery

The University of Winnipeg will resume in-person instruction for the 2021-22 academic year, and course registration will open on Friday, July 2nd. You should select your courses carefully and only choose in-person courses if you can plan for travel to Canada. In-person courses will not be offered online and you will need to be in Winnipeg to attend the course. If you cannot travel to Canada, you may register for online courses for the Fall term, or defer your admission to a future term.

For more information about the details of delivery in your program, please contact your Graduate Program Committee Chair.

Remote Learning / Zoom Video Conference

The Zoom Video Conference Platform is one of the modes of teaching that will be used for courses that are not offered in-person. To access the Zoom lectures, you will need:

  • a computer with access to high speed internet
  • speakers/earphones to be able to hear the instructor
  • microphone and/or webcam to be able to participate with audio and/or video if required - text chat may be used if your instructor has enabled this function

Visit the Zoom Help Centre for a list of computer requirements including operating systems, devices, and browsers.

Please visit the Remote Learning FAQ for more information.

Thesis Examinations

Supervisors may continue to schedule oral examinations to be conducted electronically using the Zoom Video Conference Platform. Please refer to the document entitled "Thesis Examinations Guideline for Video Conference Examinations for Students and Supervisors" for procedures that will facilitate the experience or contact Dylan Jones ( for further information. 

Please visit Zoom Training Resources for help on how to effectively use Zoom.

Student FAQ

We are excited to announce that The University of Winnipeg will resume in-person instruction for the 2021-22 academic year.

Our upcoming fall term marks the launch of a phased return to the full UWinnipeg experience with on-campus classes and labs, in-person student services, and a gradual increase in extra-curricular programming.

Please visit the University of Winnipeg's Student FAQ for the latest updates.

Student Support Services

Student Services is offering information and supports remotely. Please contact us at:

For more Student Services and Resources, please visit here.

Library Services

Beginning in September 2021, the Library will resume in-person services for UWinnipeg students, faculty, and staff. Hours of operation will be: Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM for the duration of the fall term. Winter 2022 hours will be based on the public health situation in Manitoba and resulting campus response.

For information regarding Health Policies, Facility Access, and the current status of individual Library service areas, please visit: Library Covid-19 Information

International Students

If you have questions about travel restrictions, immigration rules, health coverage or anything else related to your studies, please contact


Will online courses affect my Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Eligibility?

Students in Canada will not have their PGWP eligibility affected by taking online courses due to shifts in the course delivery method due to COVID-19, or if they were forced to drop the term or become part-time students in Winter/Spring/Summer term.

Students outside Canada are also eligible for PGWP if:

  • they have a valid study permit or a study permit application that is submitted/in process or has been approved.
  • they are in a PGWP eligible program that was in progress during March 2020 OR
  • a PGWP eligible program that started between Spring 2020 and December 2021
  • they complete 100% of studies online prior to December 31, 2021

Can I attend Fall term classes online from outside Canada, without affecting my immigration status or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

Yes, attending online courses from outside Canada, up until December 31, 2021, will not affect post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility because IRCC has made temporary changes to PGWP eligibility.

The majority of classes will be offered through online delivery whereas about 35% will be offered in-person for the Fall 2021 term. Select your course carefully from the Timetable. (You will find information about course delivery method after each course title and number).

As an admitted University of Winnipeg student, you are eligible to take online courses from your home country, and will receive university credit for successful completion. The University of Winnipeg recommends that you do not register in courses without a valid study permit, as registering in courses does not guarantee you will be issued a study permit.


If I go home to attend courses online, will I be able to return to Canada?

Yes, students with a valid study permit (Visa or an eTA, if applicable) can go home and return to Canada. Please note that the flight ban from India has been extended to August 21, 2021.

After you are registered in courses and have your travel and/or quarantine plans in place, email to request a travel support letter or letter of enrolment. Please do not request this more than two to three weeks in advance, as letters are tailored to adhere to the latest guidelines.

When you return, there are health and safety measures in place from the Government of Canada which may require students to complete a mandatory 14 Day Quarantine.


My study permit/visa is about to expire, what should I do?

IRCC recommends submitting applications online (paper application can delay the process).

Processing time may be longer than usual; however, submitting an application before a study permit expires triggers “Maintained Status” (previously called Implied Status) which allows students to continue studies and work under current study permit conditions until a decision is made.

Students are encouraged to consult the reference guide on the IIRSS website for help with online applications.


I have been accepted into a study program but cannont apply for a Visa as office are closed. What should I do?

If you are outside Canada, we encourage you to still submit an online application as soon as you can.

Once the application is submitted, you may be asked by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to give biometrics or medical exam results.

IRCC has stopped issuing automatic extensions for biometrics and other missing documents. Special consideration may be give on an individual case basis, where their office has reasons to believe that the delay is related to COVID-19. However, an application without an official acceptance letter from a DLI would not be accepted.

IRCC recently announced that most study permit applications submitted by May 15, 2021 will receive a decision by August 6, 2021. However, students starting studies in fall 2021 (September) and later can keep submitting applications after the deadline. There might be delays where Visa Application Centres (VACs) remain closed or provide limited services.

The May 15 deadline does not apply to SDS stream (available for countries: India, Morocco, Pakistan, Philippines, Senegal and Vietnam). SDS stream applications are generally processed within 20 days (if eligibility requirements are met and subject to VAC services).

We continue to advise students to submit their application once they have all required documents (Please see our GUIDE). For any temporary changes in processing due to current COVID-19 situations, visit the IRCC website.

Apply online as paper applications could delay the process.

For more information regarding Study Permits and the PGWP, please visit the International Student FAQ.


Global Affairs Canada Information for International Students

Global Affairs Canada’s International Education Division is pleased to provide the following information and guidance that may be of assistance to international students. The resources listed provide information on study permit-related issues, as well as travel restrictions and exemptions that may affect international students, and Government of Canada programs for which international students may be eligible.

To access their resources, please visit: Global Affairs Canada Information for International Students


Can I travel to Canada for my studies?

Travel and border restrictions are determined by the Government of Canada

To be able to enter Canada as an international student, you must meet 2 requirements:

  1. Attend a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with an approved Covid-19 readiness plan, AND
  2. Must have a valid study permit, or have been approved for study permit (applies to all students, including those coming from the US)

You may also be asked by airlines to show proof that you are exempt from travel restrictions. Therefore, students are advised to request a travel support letter from International Immigrant and Refugees Student Services 2-3 weeks before departure by contacting The letter will mention your enrolment in the current/future term, health insurance coverage through The University of Winnipeg and confirm that you are coming to attend a DLI that is approved for COVID-19 readiness plan.

The University of Winnipeg is on the Approved DLI list, and is eligible to welcome international students. You must be registered for  full-time (nine credit hours) for courses in the in the upcoming term to travel Canada at this time. If you have deferred your start date, do not make any travel plans yet. Students starting studies in Fall term (September) should not plan to travel earlier than August 7, 2021.

A border services officer will make the final decision on whether your reason for travelling to Canada is non-discretionary or non-optional. For more details, visit their website.

For more information regarding Travel/Quarantine, please visit the International Student FAQ.

Travel Grants

In light of the COVID -19 pandemic and the implementation of the health and safety measures that have caused either the cancellation or postponement of this season’s academic conferences, the Faculty of Graduate Studies has decided to provide the travel grant award winners with three options so that they may still use their travel grant award. This opportunity is extended to all students who won Travel Awards, whether or not they graduate before they take up their award.

  1. Reimbursement of non-refundable costs. The student would need the original receipts (conference, airfare) which would then be applied against their travel grant award.
  2. Deferment of the travel grant to use for another conference within the next academic year (before the end of August 2021). To use this option, the student would need to send us notice via email of their new destination and budget, along with a confirmation from their supervisor that the substitute conference is significant to their work.
  3. Underwriting the costs of an open access publication or attendance at a virtual conference. If you need any information regarding open access publications, please contact the Scholarly Communications and Copyright Librarian, Brianne Selman, and/or Dylan Jones For some general OA resources, please visit:

English Language Proficiency Test

My English exam centre is closed, what are my options?

Students will still need to meet the English Language Requirements of the university.

The University of Winnipeg is accepting on a trial basis for Spring & Fall intake of 2021 the Duolingo English Test to meet the English Language Requirement for admission. A minimum score of 115 is required. 

For more information, please visit the Duolingo English Test.