fb pixel

Frequently Asked Questions


1. How do I apply to the Faculty of Kinesiology and Applied Health and how much is the fee?

There is no application or fee to apply to Kinesiology at the University of Winnipeg. Once you are a student here you can declare your major in Kinesiology, select your program, and take the courses following the Academic Calendar.

2. How do I change my degree/major to Kinesiology?

The form to declare a Kinesiology major can be found in office 3D11. Alternatively, it can be completed electronically by going to Student Services Forms and selecting the BPHE/BKin major declaration. Once you have completed and signed the form using the program Adobe Reader, email it as a PDF attachment to kinesiology@uwinnipeg.ca. The form will be signed electronically by the department and sent to Registration.

3. What Academic Calendar Year do I put on my major declaration form?

The Academic Calendar Year you choose is the year containing the requirements a student must complete to earn a degree. Because degree requirements may change over time, a student may choose the year to utilize requirements from newer or older calendars that fit best with their academic record. Students may not select a catalog year from years prior to the year of admission to the University of Winnipeg.

4. What are the prerequisites to get in to Kinesiology?

We require no specific high school prerequisites. You must meet the entrance requirements to the University of Winnipeg. The Athletic Therapy program requires one of Pre-Calculus Mathematics 40S or Applied Mathematics 40S.

5. What degrees/programs do you offer?

Our three programs are the 3 year Bachelor of Physical and Health Education, the 4 year Bachelor of Kinesiology, and the 4 year Bachelor of Science in Athletic Therapy (scroll down for more info on this degree). 

6. What are my options for Graduate and Master’s programs?

The Kinesiology Department at the University of Winnipeg offers no Graduate or Master’s programs at this time.

7. Who should I talk to in Kinesiology that can help me plan out my degree?

In July and August we offer a Kinesiology & Applied Health Summer Advising Schedule where faculty members will help advise students in planning their degree. For other times of the year, please visit Academic Advising to book an appointment. 

8. What is the cost of tuition?

Please click here for the University of Winnipeg tuition webpage.

9. Do you have residences at the University of Winnipeg?

Yes. The University of Winnipeg has embarked on a unique residence program which is comprised of newly renovated homes in the surrounding community within walking distance to the university.  For more information, please visit the university's website.

10. I am an international student interested in Kinesiology & Applied Health, who do I contact?

Please complete an Inquiry Form to Student Recruitment. They should be able to assist you with any questions you may have.

Four Year Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Athletic Therapy

1. Are there any high school pre-requisites for Athletic Therapy?

As of May 2021, the Athletic Therapy program requires one of Pre-Calculus Mathematics 40S or Applied Mathematics 40S. It is also recommended to take Biology as well as one of Chemistry or Physics, and your physical education options. Students registered in the Kinesiology major prior to 2021 will be waived of this requirement.

2. Do I need to apply to get into Athletic Therapy?

Yes. As of March 2019, all students planning to pursue the 4 year BSc. Athletic Therapy degree must submit an Enhanced Major Form after successful completion of 60 credit hours of prescribed courses (2 years of full-time study).

3. How and when do I apply?

Students apply after completing the 60 required credits in the first two years of Kinesiology. For all information on the application process, requirements, and any other information, please visit our AT webpage.

4. What are the selection criteria?
  1. 60 credits hours including required courses or equivalents
  2. Minimum 3.0 GPA
  3. Current Standard First Aid - Red Cross or equivalent, and Basic Life Support
  4. Curriculum vitae, AT experience
  5. Reference letter
  6. Personal submission
5. Where can I find the detailed information of the changes being made to the Athletic Therapy program?

Please click here for all of the information regarding the 2021 changes. 

6. When is the deadline for the application?

The deadline is April 1st of the intake year. 

7. How many students will be accepted to the program each year?

The program will be limited to 20 students per year. Please note this number may be amended in years 2021 and 2022 depending on the number of grandfathered students still pursuing the degree according to the old guidelines. 

8. When are admission decisions made?

Successful applicants will be notified by the end of May of the intake year. 

9. How long does the program take to complete?

The program is four years in total. The first two years are dedicated to completing the 60 credit prerequisites that are needed to be accepted into the program, with the AT specific courses and practicum taking up the remaining 2 years.

10. Can I complete the program part-time?

No. The Athletic Therapy program is a full-time degree program, it is not possible to do it on a part-time basis.

11. Do you offer Athletic Therapy courses in the spring, summer or evening?

We offer a limited number of courses in the evenings. Check the spring calendar for current offerings. 

12. Can I take practicum courses in the spring or summer?

Yes, with the understanding that you must complete a minimum number of hours for each course and that the internship experience has been approved by our department. Practicum placements can also be approved at locations outside of Manitoba. Practicum placements must be approved by the practicum coordinator. 

13. Can I transfer courses from another university?

Yes, providing it meets the minimum requirements of the University of Winnipeg and has been approved by the admissions office. Transcripts and course description may be required by the admissions office.

14. I have already completed 60 credit hours at another institution, can I go directly in to the Athletic Therapy program?

In order to go directly into completing the AT enhanced major portion of the degree, you would have to have completed most of the 60 credit hours that we require students have when they apply. You are able to transfer 60 credit hours maximum from another university, but those would then all have to be deemed equivalent to our Kinesiology prerequisites in order to be accepted into the AT enhanced major. 

Unfortunately, we cannot evaluate your credits and what would transfer over until you apply to the university. Once this process is complete, you can see what you have received credit for, take what is remaining here at the University of Winnipeg, and then apply to the enhanced major program. Depending on what has transferred over, it may take you more time (ex. three years rather than two).

15. Can I get credit for a previous degree?

The CATA requires that you graduate from an institution that has been accredited to offer an athletic therapy curriculum.  As such, you will need to obtain a degree from the University of Winnipeg.  Some courses from a previous degree can be transferred if they apply to our curriculum and degree requirements. This is done on an individual basis.

16. Do I have to be a member of the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA) before I apply
  1. No, however, you need to know that the CATA requires that you become a member 18 months prior to when you plan to challenge the National Certification Exam. This means that, if you want to write the exam in June of your graduation year, you have to be a member of the CATA (and the MATA) by December.
  2. Application to the CATA and MATA is the student’s responsibility.
17. Can I talk to students already in the Athletic Therapy curriculum?

Yes, you can speak to members of the Kinesiology and Athletic Therapy Student Association by contacting them at uofwkatsa@gmail.com.

18. What is the job market for Athletic Therapy?

The job market is ever growing including private athletic therapy clinics, multidisciplinary clinics, reconditioning centers, sports teams etc.  Graduates are also being recruited to work as case managers in the insurance industry, as a sales representative in the health products industry (braces etc.) and in the pharmaceutical industry. Like most other professions, you will need to be proactive in creating a resume and establishing contacts in the job market.

For further information about the Athletic Therapy program contact:

Dr. Glen Bergeron
Athletic Therapy Program Director
Gupta Faculty of Kinesiology and Applied Health
Phone: (204) 786-9190
E-mail: g.bergeron@uwinnipeg.ca

Honours Program

1. Where can I find information on the Kinesiology Honours degree?

Information on our program and the application process can be found here.

2. When is the deadline for the application?

The deadline is June 30th of the year prior to the academic year of admission.

3. I’m in another Kinesiology stream, does that exclude me from the program?

In addition to the BKin. General, the Honours program is also open to students in the BKin. Sport Coaching and BSc. Exercise Science streams who started their degree prior to March 2020. Please note that regardless of which stream you choose to follow, when you graduate your degree will say "Honours Bachelor of Kinesiology". 

4. What happens if my GPA drops below the 3.0 minimum?

You will need to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in your kinesiology courses, this excludes courses from other departments. If your GPA falls below this, you will still get credit for the Honours courses you have completed to date as electives, but you would not graduate with Honours. 

5. Do I have the freedom to pick which professor I would like to work alongside?

Yes, as long as they are part of the full-time regular faculty in the Kinesiology and Applied Health department, they can be your supervisor. 

If you have further questions please email kinesiology@uwinnipeg.ca.