Vaccine Mandate FAQ

The vaccination mandate applies to all UWinnipeg students, faculty members, and staff who attend campus for learning, studying, teaching, research, or work. On August 30, it was amended to include high school students who attend the UWinnipeg Collegiate.

Is my vaccination status confidential?


All personal health information is strictly confidential. Information regarding your vaccination status is collected for the purpose of verifying your eligibility to be granted access to the UWinnipeg campus. It will not be used or disclosed for other purposes, except where required under law.

Completed self-declaration forms are securely stored for 60 days before being destroyed. When proof of full vaccination is shown, no record of your personal health information is retained by UWinnipeg.Personal health information is collected under, and protected by, Manitoba’s Personal Health Information Act.

Questions regarding the collection of your personal health information may be sent to You may also contact UWinnipeg’s Senior Information and Privacy Officer at or 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B2E9, if you have questions regarding privacy or wish to request access to your personal health information.

How do students, faculty, and staff access campus?

Please see the Campus Access Process for direction. 

What about people who want to come on campus for reasons besides school?

Most campus buildings will remain closed to the public for the fall term and until further notice. These sites will be controlled by access points. Only those students and employees who are authorized to enter may do so.


Will the fitness centre and RecPlex be open?

The Bill Wedlake Fitness Centre is open. The Axworthy Health and RecPlex is currently closed for replacement of the artificial turf. Please see the Recreation Services website for more information, including masking, physical distancing and vaccination requirements.


Do I need to be vaccinated to use fitness facilities on campus?

Users of indoor recreation facilities must be fully vaccinated, as per newly announced requirements from Shared Health Manitoba.

How do vaccinated people gain entrance to campus?

Faculty, staff and students who are fully vaccinated will be required to present one-time proof of vaccination: Manitoba Immunization QR Codes, Manitoba Immunization Cards, Manitoba Immunization Records, or proof from other jurisdictions. Once verified, a campus-access sticker will be affixed to their student or employee ID card. The card with sticker will need to be presented at designated access points to enter campus.

Can I come onto campus if I’m partially vaccinated or don’t have proof that I’m fully vaccinated?

Those who are fully vaccinated but unable to provide proof at this time — or are partially vaccinated and scheduled to complete their vaccination — will be asked to sign a self-declaration form.

They will receive a temporary access sticker, which will be valid until October 15, 2021. Campus access will be revoked unless proof of full vaccination is shown by that date.

How does proof of vaccination apply to international students?

Please see the international student FAQ for details on approved vaccines and how to access proof of vaccination.

What are my options if I’m not vaccinated and don’t plan to be?

Undergraduate students who will not be fully vaccinated by October 15 and wish to change their fall class schedules can contact Academic Advising to investigate available remote learning alternatives; graduate students can contact their Graduate Program Chair.

Those who wish to request a medical exemption or a creed/religious-based exemption may complete and submit the appropriate form found at the end of this document.

Human rights-based exemption inquiries may be directed to UWinnipeg’s Human Rights and Diversity Officer at

Are masks required on campus as well?

To reduce the risk of infection from and spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses, The University of Winnipeg is requiring that everyone wear a facemask when indoors in University spaces, effective August 7, 2021 until further notice. This mask mandate applies to all students, staff, faculty, contractors, and visitors. Exemptions will be made for individuals who require a medical accommodation.

See full details of the UWinnipeg mask mandate.

How do I get (or replace) my staff ID card?

Faculty and staff will need an ID card for campus access and to show their vaccination verification. If you do not have an ID card already, start by completing this form. Then email the form, along with a passport-like photo as well as a scan/picture of another piece of photo ID (driver’s licence, etc.) to (Note: your suppled photo ID is deleted after card is made). Student Central will print your new ID card and send it to you by internal campus mail or you can request to pick up the card at the time of vaccination confirmation.

How do I get my student ID card?

Please see the instructions for ordering and picking up your student card on this page.