Self-isolation/reporting absences FAQ

COVID-19 FAQ (Updated: September 4, 2020)


Are there any cases of COVID-19 on campus?

No, there are currently no laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 on campus. Manitoba announced its first laboratory-confirmed presumptive positive COVID-19 cases on March 12.

Is self-isolation required if I am returning from travel?

Follow the Advice for Travelers and Contacts of COVID-19 Cases provided by Manitoba’s provincial medical health officer.

All members of the community returning from a jurisdiction with an active travel health notice from the Government of Canada, whether the travel was business or personal travel, are expected to take reasonable steps to prevent exposing our community to risk. 

Under what conditions should I consider self-isolating?

Monitor yourself and those close to you for symptoms similar to the flu or common cold such as coughing, sneezing, sore throat, fever or difficulty breathing. If you need to self-isolate, you should confirm symptoms with Health Links by calling 204-788-8200 or toll-free 1-888-315-9257, or a medical doctor/health provider.

You may wish to access the Manitoba COVID-19 screening tool posted online by Shared Health Manitoba. 

I am a student and heard that in person classes and labs are moving to alternate delivery modes. What does that mean for my studies?

UWinnipeg will deliver the bulk of its educational instruction through alternate modes of delivery for the fall term. Select courses, which cannot be delivered remotely, will be delivered on campus in Fall 2020. Please refer to the Student FAQ Fall 2020 for further information.

What should I do if I am faculty or staff that will be missing work due to COVID-19 related self-isolation or illness?

Please visit the Faculty and Staff FAQ for answers to your work-related questions.