International Student FAQ

International students attending The University of Winnipeg seeking information about study permits, travel and quarantine protocols, or vaccination can find answers to important questions below.


Study Permit Questions

Can I attend fall term classes online from outside Canada, without affecting my immigration status or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

Yes, attending online courses from outside Canada, up until December 31, 2021, will not affect post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility because IRCC has made temporary changes to PGWP eligibility.

The majority of classes will be offered through online delivery whereas about 35% will be offered in-person for the Fall 2021 term. Select your course carefully from the Timetable. (You will find information about course delivery method after each course title and number).

As an admitted University of Winnipeg student, you are eligible to take online courses from your home country, and will receive university credit for successful completion. The University of Winnipeg recommends that you do not register in courses without a valid study permit, as registering in courses does not guarantee you will be issued a study permit.

If I go home to attend courses online, will I be able to return Canada?

Yes, students with a valid study permit (Visa or an eTA, if applicable) can go home and return to Canada. Please note that the flight ban from India has been extended to September 21, 2021.

After you are registered in courses and have your travel and/or quarantine plans in place, email to request a travel support letter or letter of enrolment. Please do not request this more than two to three weeks in advance, as letters are tailored to adhere to the latest guidelines.

When you return, there are health and safety measures in place from the Government of Canada which may require students to complete a mandatory 14 Day Quarantine.

There are other measures in place to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spread which can affect your travel. Please refer to “Travel/Quarantine section” of this page.

My study permit/visa is about to expire, what should I do?

IRCC recommends submitting applications online (paper application can delay the process).

Processing time may be longer than usual; however, submitting an application before a study permit expires triggers “Maintained Status” (previously called Implied Status) which allows students to continue studies and work under current study permit conditions until a decision is made.

Students are encouraged to consult the reference guide on the IIRSS website for help with online applications.

I have been accepted into a study program but cannot apply for a visa as offices are closed. What should I do?

If you are outside Canada, we encourage you to still submit an online application as soon as you can.

Once the application is submitted, you may be asked by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to give biometrics or medical exam results.

IRCC has stopped issuing automatic extensions for biometrics and other missing documents. Special consideration may be give on an individual case basis, where their office has reasons to believe that the delay is related to COVID-19. However, an application without an official acceptance letter from a DLI would not be accepted.

We continue to advise students to submit their application once they have all required documents (Please see our GUIDE). For any temporary changes in processing due to current COVID-19 situations, visit the IRCC website.

Apply online as paper applications could delay the process.

Can I start courses online without a study permit/visa, if I am outside Canada?

In general, a study permit/visa is not required for online courses.

However, studying without a visa could affect your future post-graduation work permit (PGWP), after graduation.

Time spent taking online courses without a valid study permit/visa application that is started/in process/approved, will not be counted towards validity of your PGWP. Therefore, students are advised to start online courses only if they have been approved for a study permit (with Visa or eTA if applicable).

I have applied for a study visa/extension; however I cannot provide required documents (e.g passport) due to office closures. What do I do?

If your study permit or visa is expiring or near expiry and you do not have required documents you may still submit an application with an explanation. (IRCC will not be giving automatic extensions and they will contact you for missing documents with the standard 30-day deadline).

If you have applied before current permit expires, it will trigger “maintained status (formerly called implied status) that allows you to continue studies/work under current conditions. Missing documents must be updated during application process using the IRCC web form (within deadlines provided by case processing centre).

What are the changes to student employment conditions during COVID-19? Can I work if I'm in Canada with a valid study permit?

Working conditions for international students remain the same as before COVID-19 (i.e. you must be a full time student in  regular terms, Fall & Winter at a DLI to meet on campus and off campus work eligibility). Online courses do not affect study permit conditions, including work authorization.

Note: Students are encouraged to speak to a UWinnipeg immigration advisor before changing their working hours.

If you are a full-time student in the Fall 2021 term (i.e. registered in at least nine credit hours), you will be able to work part-time off campus and full time on campus.

For detailed working conditions please refer to IIRSS reference sheet.

Will online courses affect my Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Eligibility?

Students in Canada will not have their PGWP eligibility affected by taking online courses due to shifts in the course delivery method due to COVID-19, or if they were forced to drop the term or become part-time students in Winter/Spring/Summer term.

Students outside Canada are also eligible for PGWP if:

  • they have a valid study permit or a study permit application that is submitted/in process or has been approved.
  • they are in a PGWP eligible program that was in progress during March 2020 OR
  • a PGWP eligible program that started between Spring 2020 and December 2021
  • they complete 100% of studies online prior to December 31, 2021

Disclaimer: It is recommended that students contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or an IIRSS immigration advisor to review their specific case. Canadian immigration regulations, policies, and procedures may change without notice. For the most current information, please visit the IRCC Website at For appointments with an IIRSS immigration advisor contact IIRSS: (204) 786-9469;  – Revised June 23, 2021.

Travel & Quarantine Questions

Can I travel to Canada for my studies?

Travel and border restrictions are determined by the Government of Canada.

Most full-time international students coming to UWinnipeg are eligible to travel to Canada, although specific conditions for your entry will vary depending on your vaccination status, and the country you are coming from. Students are advised to complete the Government of Canada’s Travel Restrictions Wizard for specific details about their eligibility and conditions.

The University of Winnipeg is a confirmed Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with an approved Covid-19 readiness plan.

What are the requirements for COVID testing and quarantine for international students who are travelling?

Students arriving direct from India:

As of September 26, passengers travelling on direct flights from India will need to:

  • obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from the Genestrings Laboratory, located above the metro station in the Airport Connect Building (ACB) at the Indira Gandhi International Airport
  • perform this test within 18 hours before their scheduled departure
  • present the test report with a QR code issued by this laboratory to the air operator before boarding

Alternatively, travellers who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 can present a positive molecular test issued by a certified laboratory in India. The date of collection must have been between 14 and 180 days before their scheduled departure to Canada. 

Students arriving on an indirect route from India must provide a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada.

For more details, see:

Students arriving from other countries:

All travellers, whether you are flying or driving to Canada, must show proof of negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before departure (by air) or entering Canada (by land). Test should be of an approved type (e.g. PCR/LAMP) from a reputable laboratory recognized by the government authority in your country.

Vaccination Questions

Do I need to be vaccinated to attend classes on campus at UWinnipeg?

Vaccination is required for all UWinnipeg students, faculty members, and staff who attend campus for learning, studying, teaching, research, or work. Review our Health and Safety FAQ for more information.


Which vaccine should I get?

Always follow the advice from your local health authority regarding vaccine eligibility, availability and timing, to choose the vaccine that is most suitable for your personal circumstances.

However, for travel purposes, travel changes announced on July 5, 2021 may exempt you from some travel and quarantine requirements if you have received the full series of a vaccine — or combination of vaccines — accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada.

Currently, those vaccines are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).

What if the vaccine I received is not recognized in Canada?

Currently Canada recognizes Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, or Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).

As per Public Health Agency of Canada guidance, those coming to Manitoba with one or two doses of a non-Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine (regardless of WHO authorized status), require one additional mRNA dose to be complete/valid.

The minimum interval between the preceding dose and the additional dose should be a minimum of 28 days. If an individual has three non-Health Canada approved COVID vaccine doses, they do not require further doses at this time.

International students can book an appointment for their third dose at any supercenter or vaccination clinic in Manitoba.

Am I eligible for a vaccination card if I don't have a provincial health identification number (PHIN)?

Individuals who do not have a Manitoba health card can now request a Manitoba immunization card if they meet the following requirements:

  • have received two doses of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine, with the final dose more than 14 days ago; OR
  • have received a third dose of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, in addition to their non-Health Canada approved vaccines; AND
  • have submitted proof of any COVID vaccination(s) received outside of Manitoba to public health, and the data has been recorded in the system.

Individuals can call 1-844-MAN-VACC (1-844-626-8222) to speak with an agent, who will provide a client identification number for the digital version of the card. The agent can also request a physical card on behalf of callers.

I have received one or two doses of a non-WHO approved vaccine, can I access campus?

As per Public Health Agency of Canada, those coming to Manitoba with one or two doses of a non-Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine (regardless of WHO authorized status), require one additional mRNA dose to be complete/valid. 

For full details vist Health Canada.

Are international students eligible to be vaccinated in Manitoba?

The Government of Manitoba will administer vaccines to non-Manitoba residents who have been isolating in Manitoba for at least 15 days, and who will remain in Manitoba for a further 15 days minimum, resulting in a total stay of no less than 30 days. 

Non-residents must meet the minimum age requirement for each drug as listed in its eligibility criteria. Temporary residents must provide proof of date of entry to Manitoba, as well as documentation to support the reason and anticipated length of their stay (ie: student visa, work visa, immigration documents, etc.).

When attending their appointment, non-Manitoba residents (who live in Canada) must present valid photo ID and a Health Card issued by their home province/territory. 

Non-Canadians must present a valid Passport ID. 

All persons must complete the required consent form prior to their appointment, and bring it with them.  Please note that certain areas of the form will not apply to non-residents, and should be left blank. 

Immunization staff will collect alternate information as required, during the appointment.

What do I do if I have just arrived in Manitoba and not had the opportunity to be vaccinated yet?

Welcome! International students can book vaccination appointments immediately after arrival, as long as your stay is at least 30 days.

You are eligible to be vaccinated in Manitoba after 14 days in the province. 

Temporary residents must provide proof of date of entry to Manitoba, as well as documentation to support the reason and anticipated length of their stay (e.g. your student visa). The vaccine is provided at no cost.

At this time, international students are not able to book an appointment online. Make your appointment by calling 1-844-626-8222. Learn more about Manitoba’s vaccination program.

More Questions

When will the university campus residence be available?

For the most up to date information on residence, please visit Campus Living’s website.

I have a class that requires a textbook, but the book is not available in my country (I am studying from outside of Canada).  What do I do?

Please visit the UWinnipeg Bookstore's online textbook search tool to see what materials are required for each class.

If you are studying outside of Canada, we recommend ordering an e-book if it is available for your classes. Shipping costs to countries outside of Canada can be expensive, and is charged as an extra fee for any physical textbooks.

Where can I get more information?

If you have questions about travel restrictions, immigration rules, health coverage, or anything else related to your studies, please contact

Do the above answers also apply to students applying to the English Language Program or PACE?

If you are a prospective student in our English Language Program, the answers may be different for you. Email ELP at or PACE at to confirm details relating to your studies.