fb pixel

Faculty and Staff FAQ

Faculty and staff seeking answers to important questions about returning to work and other COVID-19 protocols can find answers below.



How do I get (or replace) my staff ID card?

Faculty and staff may require an ID card to access some areas of campus. If you do not have an ID card already, start by completing this form. Then email the form, along with a passport-like photo as well as a scan/picture of another piece of photo ID (driver’s licence, etc.) to studentcard@uwinnipeg.ca (Note: your supplied photo ID is deleted after the card is made).

Student Central will print your new ID card and email you when it is ready. ID cards can be picked up at Student Central from Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Please bring a piece of photo ID to pick up the card.

Where can I find advice on reconnecting my computer to my on-campus work station?

Review the Computer Setup on Campus document for tips to make the transition to working on campus a little smoother.

What are the regular cleaning standards on campus?

Please see our cleaning standards and information here. In addition to our standard level of care, you can expect enhanced cleaning aligned with public health recommendations, including regular disinfection of high touch points and frequent cleaning of highly used spaces such as washrooms.

What are the spacing/safety requirements for staff who must work in close proximity to one another in offices?

Currently there are no health restrictions in place that advise that physical distancing is required, however it is import to be respectful of your proximity to your colleagues and respect one another’s comfort level.

The UWinnipeg Safety Office continues to conduct risk assessments to determine the need for controls based on the nature of the work being performed, and the duration of the work, balanced against current health restriction requirements.

What protocols are recommended or possible to help protect staff who work directly with students?

The University of Winnipeg has ensured all campus buildings meet ventilation and cleaning standards for a safe reopening. Sanitation stations have been established across campus, and extra sanitation wipes have been distributed to high traffic areas.

Please contact the Safety Office if you have questions about the risk assessment process.

What if a staff member has mild cold-like symptoms? Will they be able to work from home while not feeling well (if they're not too sick to work)?

Self-screening is available through an online tool on the Manitoba Shared Health website. If an employee feels ill or has any cold or flu symptoms, the employee should not come to campus and can use available sick leave to cover their absence. However, if an employee feels they are able to work, and are set-up to work remotely, then in consultation with their unit manager, they may have the option of working from home.

What is being done to help staff feel safe on campus?

The safety of our students, faculty, and staff is our top priority.

The University continues to follow the advice of the Public Health Agency of Canada and Manitoba Health. Sanitation stations have been established on campus and extra sanitization wipes have been distributed to high traffic areas. These specialized wipes meet provincial health and safety standards.  If you require wipes in your area, contact UWinnipeg’s Safety Office at 204.786.9894.

When preventative hygiene measures are diligently practiced, they are an effective means for minimizing the spread of the disease. In addition, employees should consult with their supervisor for specific protocols that may be in place for certain jobs.


Working from home

I am working from home, how do I access the technology I need to do my job?

Visit the Technology Sector website for links to resources available for faculty and staff working off-campus. 

The technology sector team continues to monitor campus needs and is responding as rapidly as possible. They are available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be reached by email: servicedesk@uwinnipeg.ca, by phone: 204.786.9149, or via online request forms. If you are phoning, please leave a voicemail.

If you would like a UWinnipeg-themed Zoom meeting background, a series of images are available for download on our Flickr page.

Can employees request to continue working from home?

For administrative staff, the option of working remotely is being piloted by the University and will be considered on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with managerial approvals if it can be determined that the department’s operational responsibilities are being met. 

For more information on the pilot program, including the application process, please refer to the Remote Work Guidelines.

Any remote work requests that were submitted and approved but have not commenced should be revisited and revised accordingly prior to your scheduled return to campus. Questions regarding the Guidelines may be directed to your Human Resources Consultant.

COVID-19 exposure

What should I do if I think I've been exposed to, or have symptoms of COVID-19?

Please follow public health advice on when and how to self-isolate to stop COVID-19 from spreading. Contact your health care provider or Health Links at 204.788.8200 or toll-free 1.888. 315.9257. 

Can sick leave be used if an employee is asked to self-isolate or is quarantined?

An employee can use available sick leave to cover their absence from work due to self-isolation or quarantine. Eligible employees can also use banked time, accrued vacation and/or Employment Insurance if required. An unpaid leave of absence is an additional option.

Health and wellness

What is the procedure if an employee becomes sick at work?

If a staff member or instructor becomes sick, follow this set of procedures, which was created for the University of Winnipeg in accordance with the Manitoba Public Health guidance for post-secondary institutions.

COVID-19 is causing anxiety for my students. Where can I direct them?

There are many UWinnipeg and community resources to which students can be referred. You can find the entire list of services and resources here. 

What are my options if I have to care for a family member while working from home? 

Following consultation with your supervisor, provided that your job responsibilities are compatible with working from home, remote work may be considered. However, you may not be able to effectively work while at home due to caregiving responsibilities. If this is the case, you will be approved to use accrued vacation or banked time or to apply to purchase additional time off through the voluntary vacation purchase program.

What mental health supports are available for those struggling with COVID-19 anxiety?

Along with many other stresses, COVID-19 has left many people feeling disconnected and anxious. Connect Now is a new support line that allows you to connect instantly with a professional counsellor from our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) offered by Manitoba Blue Cross. Access immediate support from a mental health professional, without needing to commit to on-going counselling sessions.

The booklet, Mental health support through the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, provides mental health advice and insights based on the current pandemic. It is a great resource, created as part of UWinnipeg's Employee and Family Assistance Program, which offers a range of resources to support your mental health and well-being.

The Anxiety Disorders Association of Manitoba (ADAM) has established an anxiety support line for anyone seeking support during this challenging time. You can call their support line at 204.925.0040. The line will be checked regularly from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., and from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekends. Leave your name, phone number, or email address and an ADAM representative will get in touch with you within a short period of time. Visit ADAM's website for more information.

Human Resources Contact Information

Who do I contact regarding medical notes, accommodations, sick leave, or wellness inquiries?

Please contact Linda Harrison, Employee Health & Wellness Specialist at l.harrison@uwinnipeg.ca. She will respond to your inquiry during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Who do I contact for employment verification? 

Please email human_resources@uwinnipeg.ca. A human resources staff member will respond to your inquiry during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How do I submit human resource forms?

Human Resource forms can be scanned and sent electronically to: human_resources@uwinnipeg.ca. Forms that require your personal signature, or contain your Social Insurance Number, should be mailed to:

The University of Winnipeg 
Attention: Human Resources

515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9

Who do I contact regarding human resource consulting?

Please contact your Human Resources consultant via email. If you are unsure who your HR Consultant is, visit Who is my HR contact?

Who do I contact regarding payroll, benefits, pension, and Records of Employment?

Please e-mail payroll@uwinnipeg.ca. You will receive a response during our office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Who do I contact if I have labour relations questions?

Please contact Marcie MacDonald, Sr. Labour Relations Officer at ma.macdonald@uwinnipeg.ca. You will receive a response to your inquiry during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Who do I contact for position information, rates of pay, start and end dates, new hire setup, and submitting time through MyHR?

Please send your questions to hris@uwinnipeg.ca. A human resources staff member will contact you during our office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Who do I contact for assistance with job evaluations, position descriptions, or other compensation related information?

Please contact compensation@uwinnipeg.ca. A human resources staff member will respond to your inquiry during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Who do I contact if I have a safety and health question?

For general safety and health questions, please contact the 24 hour Safety Line at 204.782.2588.

For specific questions, you may also contact the following individuals:

  • Kevin Smith, Manager, Safety and Health at 204.786.9894
  • Doug Brownridge, Occupational Safety Officer at 204.789.4191