Canadian Government Student Aid and Loans

Awards and Financial Aid

This page has complete program information from applying to repayment. To skip directly to any of the sections listed below, just click on the name.

General Information

The Government of Canada works in partnership with most provinces and territories to deliver student financial assistance programs. The exceptions are Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut which operate their own student financial assistance programs. To qualify, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person.

The National Student Loan Service Centre offers the Government Student Loans and Grants Orientation Webinar. This 17 minute presentation will provide a thorough overview of the process and include such topics as how to apply, what loans and grants are, the stages of a student loan, repayment information and how to use your National Student Loan account. We recommend that all first time lenders watch this video.

Canada Study Grants and Bursaries

If you qualify for government student aid, you are automatically assessed for Grants and Bursaries that you may be eligible to receive such as:

  • Canada Student Grant for Full-Time Students
  • Manitoba Bursary
  • Canada Student Grant for Students with Dependents
  • Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities
  • Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities.

These grants do not have to be paid back*, and are normally the first portion of funding students will receive in their financial aid packages, before any loans are awarded. 
*as long as you maintain your full or part-time status for which you received the grants.

For more information, drop by the Awards and Financial Aid office to speak with a staff member. Drop-ins hours are offered Monday to Friday from 8:30am - 4:00pm at 2Ri06.

Application Process and Course Load Requirements

The main difference between part-time and full-time government student aid funding is that the part-time student aid program is federal funds only. However, in both instances you are not required to make monthly payments and interest does not accumulate on your loans while you are attending school.

Deadline to apply: Generally you must apply through your home province at least two months prior to your program end date. However, it is recommended you apply at least one month before your program begins.

TIP: If you are relying on your Government Student Aid funding to pay tuition, please see our Important Dates and Deadlines webpage.

Application Instructions for Full-time Students:
If you are a resident of Manitoba, you can apply online.

To be a resident of Manitoba, you must have lived in the province for at least 12 months. If you are a permanent resident (landed immigrant) or protected person, Manitoba must be your first province of residency. If you are not a resident of Manitoba, you will have to apply through the province you last lived in for 12 months, or first resided in for recent immigrants. For a complete list, see Provincial and Territorial Student Financial Assistance Offices.

Application Instructions for Part-time Students:
You will have to apply by paper application, available here: Part-time Loan and Grant Application. Sections A-D of the form need to be completed by yourself, then brought to the Awards and Financial Aid office during Drop-in hours for completion of section E. The form is then submitted to the appropriate Provincial Student Aid branch for assessment.  TIP: If you are unsure how to complete certain portions of sections A-D, leave them blank and ask the Awards and Financial Aid staff member signing your forms for clarification. NOTE: Students from Alberta, British Columbia or Ontario need to complete a provincial part-time application form.

Program of Study and School Selection:

  • Undergraduate and Graduate Studies students: Select UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG - MAIN CAMPUS, then your appropriate degree or certificate program.
  • Professional, Applied Continuing Education (PACE) students: Select UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG - CONTINUING EDUCATION, then your appropriate diploma or certificate program.
  • Theology Program students: Select UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG - UNITED CENTRE FOR THEOLOGICAL STUDIES, then your appropriate degree, diploma or certificate program.
  • Education students in the WEC/ACCESS program: Select UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG EDUCATION CENTRE.

Course Load Requirements:
For most provinces, the minimum course load for which you must register to be eligible for full-time government student aid is 60% of the maximum course load required for your study period:

  • Fall or Winter term only - 9 credit hours (60%)
  • Fall/Winter session - 18 credit hours (60%), but you must have 9 credit hours minimum in each term.
  • Spring session (6-9 weeks long) - 6 credit hours (80%)
  • Spring/Summer session (10 weeks or longer) - 9 credit hours (60%)
  1. Students negotiating Newfoundland Student Aid must have an 80% course load for full-time status.
  2. Students with a Permanent Disability can be approved for full-time student aid with a 40% minimum course load (12 credit hours over the Fall/Winter session). The Accessibility Services Office can help you submit the required paperwork to be approved for full-time studies at a reduced course load.

NOTE: You must maintain the appropriate minimum course load for your study period in order to retain your student assistance eligibility. If you apply for full-time funding and subsequently reduce to part-time studies, you should submit a part-time application before the term is half over.

  • Calculate your course load for the Fall/Winter session by dividing your registered course load by 30. Example: 21 credit hours/30 = 0.7  (70%)
  • Calculate your course load for a single term (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer) by dividing your registered course load by 15. Example: 12 credit hours/15 = 0.8  (80%)

IMPORTANT: Wait-list courses are not reported when our office confirms your enrolment. If you are a full-time student, be sure you are registered in the minimum number of credit hours outlined above in order to have your government student aid funding released.

Registration at Another Post-Secondary Institution:

If, in addition to The University of Winnipeg courses, you are registered and taking courses elsewhere during the academic year for credit towards your UW degree on Letter of Permission, you must present proof of registration to the Awards & Financial Aid Office before your student assistance document can be authorized and released to you.

Proof of registration must include the institution name, the academic year/term, the course name, the credit hours, and the cost. It can be dropped off in-person (2Ri06 - 2nd Floor, Rice Centre - 489 Portage Ave.), faxed: 204-786-8656, or emailed to:

TIP: If you applied for Government Student Aid and were denied or approved for insufficient funding, the staff in Awards & Financial Aid may be able to help you make an appeal for additional assistance. No appointment is needed. Just bring your Notice of Assistance with you to the Awards & Financial Aid Office, 2Ri06 - 2nd Floor, Rice Centre - 489 Portage Ave. Drop-in hours are offered Monday to Friday from 8:30am - 4:00pm. If you need or would like to make an appointment, email

Need Help Applying?  The Manitoba Student Aid office is open 8:30-4:30, Monday to Friday. They have computer stations and front-desk staff available to assist you, and are located on the 4th Floor, 1181 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg.

Release of Funding

If you are relying on your Government Student Aid Funding to pay tuition, please see the Tuition Fees and Government Student Aid section on this webpage.

Full-Time Manitoba Student Aid Recipients:

Once you have been assessed and approved for funding and have submitted all the required documents indicated on your MYSAO account, your first disbursement will automatically pay the tuition owing around the start of term. Any remaining funds will be deposited in your bank account. 

The Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement for Canada should submitted by mail to the National Student Loan Service Centre using the instructions provided in your funding package.

The Master Manitoba Student Loan Agreement (and any other documentation requiring submission such as the Declaration, Pre-Authorized Debit, and Confirmation of Income forms) can also be mailed to Manitoba Student Aid or dropped off directly. Manitoba Student Aid, Room 401 - 1181 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, MB R3G 0T3.

TIP: You can check the status of your student aid application, find out what documentation is still outstanding, update your address information and much more online! Go to MySAO to log into your existing account.

Out-of-Province Student Aid Recipients:

Once your application is assessed and approved, you will most likely be required to submit a Program Information and/or Confirmation of Enrollment form(s) to the Awards and Financial Aid office for completion.

Be sure to submit your required documentation right away in order to receive your funding shortly before or right after the start of classes. Your Confirmation of Enrollment or Funding Release documents will either be mailed direct to you or to the Awards and Financial Aid office. You will be notified by the Provincial office in your Notice of Assistance when and how you will receive the funding and documents.

When the Awards and Financial Aid office signs your funding document, if able, we will indicate the fees you owe to The University of Winnipeg. The tuition fee payment portion will be transferred directly to the University and the remaining funds will be deposited in your bank account. Instructions on these processes will be included in your student aid document package. Please follow them carefully.

NOTE: The UWSA Info Booth on campus offers postal service should you need to mail any documents. They are located on the 1st Floor of Centennial Hall.

Part-time Student Aid Recipients

Once your application is assessed and approved, you will receive a Notice of Assistance as well as Certificate(s) of Eligibility. The Certificate(s) of Eligibility will need to be singed by Awards & Financial Aid staff before they can be submitted to the National Student Loan Service Centre.

When the Awards and Financial Aid office signs your Certificate of Eligibility document(s), we will indicate the fees you owe to The University of Winnipeg. The National Student Loan Centre transfer the tuition fee payment directly to the University and deposit any additional funds in your bank account. Instructions on these processes will be included in your student aid document package. Please follow them carefully.

Refunds due to Award and/or Government Student Aid overpayment

Students with an account credit that received an award and/or government student aid should note that our office authorizes refunds at the end of each term only. Cheques are mailed to students at this time (December, April, August).  Students receiving award and/or government student aid refunds will be notified by Webmail shortly before the cheques are mailed.

If the account credit is a result of a dropped course, enrolment will be reviewed to ensure the student still meets the eligibility criteria for the award and/or government student aid funding they have received. If the student has not maintained eligibility, they may receive either a portion of the funding or none. Money may be refunded back to the award fund and/or government student aid branch. Students will be notified if this occurs by Webmail.

If the refund is required before the end of term, students that received an award and/or government student aid are welcome to make an early refund request to our office. You can drop by the office or email to provide the reason for your request, full name and student ID number. Depending on the type of funds received, the refund may be released early in full, partially, or will have to wait until term end to be released. Early refund requests are reviewed every two weeks and students are notified of the results shortly after review.

All other refund request inquiries for students without an award or government student aid should be referred to Student Central.


Tuition Fees and Government Student Aid

Tuition fees for registered courses are due by the start date of every term. For a list of fee payment deadline dates, visit Important Dates & Deadlines. If you are relying on your Government Student Aid to pay your tuition, please note that you are still responsible for meeting the fee payment deadline dates established by Financial Services.

NOTE: If your first disbursement does not cover your required tuition fee payment in full, you will have to pay the remainder by fee deadline date to avoid late fees.

TIP: If you are concerned that you will not have enough funding to cover your expenses for the year, feel free to drop by to discuss your options. We are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm for drop-ins at our office at 2Ri06.

Questions or concerns can be addressed to

Maintaining Interest-free and/or Non-Repayment Status

If you are a student who has had past Government Student Loans and are currently a student but do not have a student loan this year, you can fill out a Schedule 2 document(s) to remain in non-payment and/or interest-free status. Please contact your provincial government student aid branch and/or come to the Awards & Financial Aid office, Room 2Ri06 - 2nd Floor, Rice Centre - 489 Portage Ave, where staff can provide you with the necessary form(s) and instructions.

Please note that full-time Manitoba Student Aid recipients receive funding from Manitoba Student Aid and Canada Student Loans. Students must notify both government branches that they are still enrolled in studies to ensure non-payment and/or interest-free status is obtained with both lenders.

Canada Student Loans

Students can now complete a Schedule 2 Confirmation of Enrolment online to inform Canada Student Loans that they are currently enrolled in studies. Students can visit the National Student Loan Service Centre website to complete their confirmation of enrolment request. After logging in (or creating a new account if necessary), students click on the 'Confirm Your Enrolment' link in the menu bar at the top of the page. Students then complete the required fields and select The University of Winnipeg from the drop down menu of eligible institutions. Click the submit button and the request will be sent to the University of Winnipeg to confirm your attendance. These requests are completed within 5 business days of receipt and your account with Canada Student Loans will be updated.

Manitoba Student Aid

Manitoba Student Aid Schedule 2 forms are still done by paper. Students can obtain the Manitoba Student Aid Confirmation of Return to School form at the Awards & Financial Aid office or online from the Manitoba Student Aid website. An Awards Officer will assist you to complete the form and then students are required to submit the completed form to the Manitoba Student Aid office.

Repaying Your Student Loan(s)

Are you graduating or leaving school? Then it's time to take charge of your finances!

Your government student loan(s) may come from the federal government and or your provincial/territorial government. This means you could have more than one loan to pay back.

The National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) will send your Consolidation Agreement by mail before you are required to start making payments. The Agreement sets the terms for the repayment of your Canada Student Loan; this is the federal portion of your loan. You'll have to make a number of decisions, including the type of interest rate and how long you'll take to repay your loan. Depending on your situation, you might also receive another Consolidation Agreement by mail for your provincial or territorial student loan.

You don't have to make any payments on your student loan(s) for the first six months after you leave school.

*NEW* The National Student Loan Service Centre now offers webinars to give you information regarding the repayment process, hints and tips on how to save on interest, and what to do in the event that you are having difficulty making the payments. If you obtained Manitoba Student Aid and Canada Student Loans, you can watch the informative repayment seminar online here.

Helping You Repay Your Loan

Missing payments can have serious and long-term consequences. Contact the NSLSC before you miss a payment. The federal government can provide you with a number of options, such as the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP). For more information on RAP, visit or use the Repayment Assistance Estimator to see if you qualify.

Stay connected!

Sign up for an online NSLSC account on and ensure that the NSLSC has your current contact information.

For information on your student loan(s), contact the NSLSC at 1-888-815-4514 (TTY 1-888-815-4556).

For information on your provincial student loan(s), contact your provincial student financial aid office. For a complete list, see Provincial and Territorial Student Financial Assistance Offices.