Visas & Study Permits
Information for All Students
Beginning March 15, 2016 some students exempt from obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) prior to (re-)entering Canada by air. For more information, please read our ETA Information sheet (pdf).
NOTE: All international Undergraduate students must present their original study permit to International Student Services. (Students who are studying less than six months must present the stamp on their passport to International Student Services). We must keep current records of this information to ensure your eligibility to study in Canada at the University of Winnipeg.
CIC Online Application Series:
- GCKey, My CIC, & Photo Specifications (pdf, word)
- Renewing Visitor Status (In Canada) (pdf, word)
- Study Permit (In Canada) (pdf, word)
- Temporary Resident Visa (In Canada) (pdf, word)
- Co-op Work Permit (pdf, word)
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (pdf, word)
Additional Information & Assistance with CIC Visas/Permits
For more information on other resources available to assist you with your CIC Visa/Permit application, please visit our Immigration Advising webpage.
Delaying your Studies
International students may experience delays or choose to delay the start of their studies for a variety of reasons. Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your arrival:
- Undergraduate students can begin their studies at three different times during the year : Fall (September), Winter (January) and Spring (May)
- Undergraduate students are issued a letter of acceptance from The University of Winnipeg is valid for twelve months (three terms). Check your Letter of Acceptance to determine what terms are available to you.
If, for any reason, you need to change the date that you will be starting your studies, make sure to inform your program office contact in ELP, PACE, or Graduate Studies. If you are an Undergraduate student, you can inform The University of your intention to change your start date by completing the Change Start Term form.
If you have previously studied at The University of Winnipeg and more than one year has passed since your most recent registration, please read and submit the Application for Continuance.