Visas & Study Permits

Information for All Students

New Students

Please read:

  • Applying for a Study Permit & Temporary Resident Visa (Outside of Canada) (pdf, word)
  • Entering Canada (pdf, word)

Resources for specific student groups:

  • PACE students: Applying for a Study Permit (Outside of Canada) (pdf, word)
  • PACE students: Entering Canada (pdf, word)
  • US Citizens/Nationals: Applying for a Study Permit at the Port of Entry (pdf, word)
  • Visiting/Exchange Students: Study Permit/Visa Information (pdf, word)
  • Pre-Master's Students: Applying for a Study Permit (pdf, word)
  • Visa Exempt Students: Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) (pdf)

NOTE: All international Undergraduate students must present their original study permit to International Student Services. (Students who are studying less than six months must present the stamp on their passport to International Student Services). We must keep current records of this information to ensure your eligibility to study in Canada at the University of Winnipeg.

Current Students

General Resources:

IRCC Online Applications (in Canada):

  • IRCC Online Account & Photo Specifications (pdf, word)
  • Study Permit (pdf, word)
  • Temporary Resident Visa (pdf, word)
  • Co-op Work Permit (pdf, word)
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (pdf, word)

Additional resource/information sheets available upon request:

  • USA B-1/B-2 Visa

Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program

  • Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (Quick Reference) (pdf, word)
  • Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (pdf, word)
  • Submitting an EOI for the MPNP (pdf, word)

Additional Information & Assistance with IRCC Visas/Permits

For more information on other resources available to assist you with your IRCC Visa/Permit application, please visit our Immigration Advising webpage.

Delaying your Studies

International students may experience delays or choose to delay the start of their studies for a variety of reasons. Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your arrival:

  • Undergraduate students can begin their studies at three different times during the year : Fall (September), Winter (January) and Spring (May)
  • Undergraduate students are issued a letter of acceptance from The University of Winnipeg is valid for twelve months (three terms). Check your Letter of Acceptance to determine what terms are available to you.

If, for any reason, you need to change the date that you will be starting your studies, make sure to inform your program office contact in ELP, PACE, or Graduate Studies. If you are an Undergraduate student, you can inform The University of your intention to change your start date by completing the Change Start Term form.

If you have previously studied at The University of Winnipeg and more than one year has passed since your most recent registration, please read and submit the Application for Continuance.