The HR Consultants work diligently to understand departmental needs and objectives in order to provide strategic, forward-thinking consultation, and support on a wide range of human resource matters.
Each department or unit has an assigned HR Consultant who is the first point of contact for all human resource issues including:
Recruitment and Selection
- Provide advice concerning appropriate recruitment practices.
- Advise and assist with creating job postings and advertisements.
- Advise and assist with online recruitment procedures.
- Advise and assist with the selection process including pre-screening applicants, scheduling interviews, preparing interview questions and rating grids, conducting pre-employment testing, participating in the interview process, and completing reference checks.
- Advise and assist in determining successful candidates and developing selection justifications.
- Make job offers and assigning appropriate step placement (compensation).
- Authorize completed appointment documentation.
Classification and Salary Administration
- Provide advice and assistance in writing position descriptions.
- Review position descriptions submitted for classification review.
- Participate in and chair Classification Review and Appeal of Classification Review committees.
- Advise client departments on salary administration as per collective agreements and compensation policies.
- Ensure all governmental, legal, and contractual regulations are met.
- Provide interpretation of collective agreements, University policies, procedures, and practices as they apply to the workplace.
- Advise and support clients engaged in grievance, layoff/position discontinuance, sick leave management, and termination.
- Provide information and advice to clients regarding the development and implementation of sound performance management practices, including assisting in the creation of performance improvement plans.
- Provide strategies for administering disciplinary processes.
- Participate in disciplinary meetings.
- Advise and assist clients on preparation of probationary, trial, and annual performance review.
- Conduct or participate in organizational reviews and developing workplace solutions.
- Participate in graduated return to work and accommodation plans for employees returning from sick leave or LTD.
- Upon resignation, conduct exit interviews with all full-time, continuing staff.
- Provide coaching/counseling services in support of a respectful work environment.