Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP)
The Government of Canada offers scholarships to Canadian publicly funded universities or colleges as part of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program and Government of Canada Awards.
The goal of the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) is to support the development of human capital and a next generation of Leaders in the Americas while strengthening the linkages between Canadian post-secondary institutions and the ones in Latin America and the Caribbean. Click here for more information on the ELAP program.
We are pleased to announce that The University of Winnipeg continues to participate in the ELAP program.
Accepted students will be able to spend one term on our campus beginning either in September or January.
If you are an international undergraduate or graduate student considering applying to the ELAP, please review the following information:
1. Check to see if you are from an eligible country.
- Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitt's, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos
- Central America: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama
- North America: Mexico
- South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
2. If you are interested in the program, and you are a citizen of an eligible country, send an email to email@example.com. Your e-mail should include your area of academic interest and the name of your university, as The University of Winnipeg can accept applications only from students who are currently students of a university with which we have a formal agreement.
3. We will notify you by email of your eligibility to apply for the program, and provide you with the contact information for a faculty sponsor to help you select courses.
4. You must be nominated by your home institution. Contact the Study Abroad, Student Mobility, or Student Exchange Office at your university to request a nomination letter.
PART A - To be completed by MARCH 1
Students should apply as "exchange students" on the application. There is no application fee required for an exchange application.
If you experience difficulty using the online application, please direct your inquiries to the Off-Campus Program Officer, Shauna MacKinnon, at firstname.lastname@example.org
PART B - To be completed by MARCH 1
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- Copy of your university transcript(s)
NOTE: If you are interested in this opportunity and it is past the deadline date, please contact Shauna MacKinnon at email@example.com for further information.
PART C - To be completed by APRIL 15
Submit all the remaining materials - the 10 items listed below - by the deadline of April 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of intent (in English) from the candidate explaining purpose for study and contribution to ongoing study or research.
- Short letter (in English) from the home university stating that the student is currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and will continue to be enrolled upon his/her return to the home country.
- Letter of support from the student’s professor or the International Director at the home institution explaining the nature of studies and how the student and home institution will benefit from this scholarship program.
- Copy of passport or National Identity Document
- Signed privacy statement (from CBIE) - see this link: Privacy Notice Statement
- Official sealed copy of your university transcript(s)
The Off-Campus Program Officer can provide assistance in obtaining the
following materials (contact her in advance at email@example.com):
- A completed Registration Form with courses approved by faculty sponsor
- Health Insurance application (GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY)
- Letter of Permission from home university
- Short invitation letter from UW Sponsor
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by JULY 31.