Practicum Placement Information
English Language Programs
Unlike the other components of the ESL Teacher Certificate Program, there is no 'class' for the practicum placement. This component of the program is arranged independently for each student. Regardless of the modality in which you took your classes (full-time, part-time, or online), it involves the following:
- 10 hours of observation in an experienced EAL teacher’s classroom
- 10 hours of supervised teaching in an experienced EAL teacher’s classroom
Please review the ESL TCP Practicum Handbook [PDF] for detailed information about the practicum component of this program.
- There are very limited practicum placements available during the summer months.
- Depending on practicum registration, you may be placed on a wait list for your practicum.
Process for the Practicum Placement
- Step #1: Register for the course using the registration form posted online here [PDF].
*Please note that this is not necessary for full-time students.
- Step #2: Complete the practicum questionnaire [PDF] and submit it to the program coordinator.
- Step #3: The program coordinator will contact you with the details once a suitable placement has been found. (Note: this can take several weeks, depending on the time of year)
- Step #4: Contact your practicum sponsor teacher to arrange your schedule to begin observations.
- Step #5: During your observation sessions, complete the tasks in this booklet [PDF]. Log your hours in the Observation and Teaching Log found in your Practicum Handbook.
- Step #6: Arrange your teaching schedule, and inform your practicum supervisor.
- Step #7: Receive feedback from sponsor teacher and supervisor using forms included in your Practicum Handbook. Log your hours in the Observation and Teaching Log found in your Practicum Handbook.
- Step #8: After observation and teaching are complete, submit all necessary documents to the program coordinator, including:
a. Observation and practicum log
b. Practicum Observation Tasks booklet
c. Practicum sponsor teacher and supervisor forms (copies are acceptable)