Canadian Work Experience
English Language Programs
7 Week Canadian Work Experience Program
2017 Winter Program: January 3 - February 17, 2017
2017 Summer Program: July 4 - August 18, 2017
The Canadian Work Experience Program:
- The 7 week Canadian Work Experience Program consists of 4 weeks of Intensive English class room study followed by a 3 week volunteer work placement that allows students to immerse themselves in an authentic professional Canadian work environment in order to improve their professional communication skills.
- In the workplace, students will have the opportunity for daily English skills practice which will deepen their understanding and appreciation for English communication.
- Many students find the immersion into an English speaking work environment is beneficial towards helping them prepare for their future career goals.
Week 1- 4 : Classes
- We ensure that every student is placed in a class that reflects his or her level of ability and competence in the English language, which is determined for each student based on an entrance placement test conducted after your arrival.
- Morning sessions focus on developing skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students take part in a seminar specifically designed for 7 week Canadian Work Experience Program participants called " English in the Workplace". This seminar will improve professional communication skills, and prepare students for the last 3 weeks of this program where they will engage in their volunteer work placements.
Week 5- 7 : Work Placements
- During weeks 5-7, students will participate in volunteer work placements
- Volunteer placement hours will vary by organization. Students typically work approximately 25-30 hours per week, up to a maximum of 100 hours during the three week placement period.
- Examples of placements that students have enjoyed in previous programs include:museums,art galleries, libraries, radio stations, athletic facilities, hospitality organizations and a variety of non-profit businesses.
Work Placement schedule:
- Monday through Thursday - daytime volunteer work placement
- Friday morning - volunteer work placement
- Friday afternoon - work placement schedule: Monday - Friday Volunteer work placement
PLEASE NOTE: Applying for the 7 week Canadian Workplace Experience Program requires a full 3 week volunteer placement commitment.
- Students must be available for the full 3 weeks to meet the CWE certification requirements
- Students are not allowed to travel, or engage in alternate work or educational commitments that will prevent the completion of a full 3 week volunteer placement during this program.
- Students benefit from their participation in scheduled social activities that begin when classroom learning ends.
- During socio-cultural activities, students have the opportunity to practice English skills as they participate in informal English conversation. Students will also experience interesting local history and culture, summer festivals, the arts, sports and much more!
- To learn more about our socio-cultural activities, visit: activities slideshow elp
- If you choose, you may apply to stay with a host family in the Homestay program while you study in this program.
- Every effort is made to find the best match for students & families involved in the program.
- The benefits of homestay include many additional opportunities for students to practice their English skills in authentic living situations while outside of the classroom.
- To learn more about our homestay program, visit our homestay page.
In English Please!
- In order to maximize the benefits for every student in the 4 Week January/July Intensive English Language Program and the 7 Week Canadian Work Experience Program, all students are expected to follow a strict English only policy during class time and at every activity.
There is a recommended minimum language proficiency requirement to participate in the 7 week Canadian Work Experience Program:
- TOEFL iBT - 61 or equivalent
- IELTS - 5.5 overall
- TOIEC - 800
- The application deadline for every program is one week prior to the start of each session.
Register Now for Canadian Work Experience Program
Apply Now for Homestay Program - Short Term
|Application Fee||$110.00 CDN|
|Registration Deposit||$500.00 CDN|
|Remaining Tuition||$1350.00 CDN|
|Homestay Placement Fee||
The Application deadline is one week prior to the start of each session. To apply, please complete the Canadian Work Experience application form and send it by mail or email along with: $610 CDN (application fee and registration deposit) as well as the $200 CDN Homestay Placement Fee (if applicable) to the English Language Program Office.
To submit the application or for more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Winnipeg
English Language Program
Room 1C15, Centennial Hall
515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
Need a Program that suits your specific needs?
- If our short term programs do not offer enough flexibility for your group in terms of program dates or course content, you may be interested in a customized short term program.
- For more information, please visit: Customized English Language Programs.